• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Social Distancing and Non Urban Bus Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncombec

That's a gross oversimplification and borderline offensive, to suggest that bus drivers are not victims of working on the 'front line' (often without adequate protection) but are victims of their own obesity... well, i'm not sure what to say to that. Thankfully i'd say the majority of people don't share your opinion on this.

Of course being on the 'front line' will increase vulnerability, just as it does for supermarket workers, NHS staff, home carers, royal mail staff, etc. However, whether you like it or not, there are numerous datasets available (I won't call them studies) that suggest a number of factors make susceptibility to COVID worse, such as those I listed (and there are more). As many bus drivers will fall into one or more of those categories, it cannot be denied that those are risks. If you consider mentioning potential risk factors, sometimes multiplied, which are prevalent in this particular group offensive, then what more can I say.

You might like to consider this: https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them.

From what I've seen here, bus drivers are equally as well protected as supermarket staff (perhaps minus gloves, but with full-height screens and holes blocked off), and perhaps more protected than home-care staff (often reliant on just a mask, on the basis of radio reports) and non-isolation hospital staff (e.g. receptionists).

No, it's really not that simple. Buses that have been out of use for several months now require servicing, may require MOTs and any other work needed to bring them up to standard to return to service. Some companies have *hundreds* of vehicles off the road with most of their engineering staff furloughed - tell me how it's simple?

From what I have seen and heard, operators are moving vehicles and keeping them 'ticking over'. Indeed, in a two week gap since I cycled past, my local depot has moved every single vehicle that I could see front and back. I have, as said more than one, based my theory on any uptick in service coming in Stage 2, i.e. from 4 June, at the earliest, not immediately. Of course some days will be required, but a gradual increase in service should be linked to a gradual increase in vehicle ability. An operator who has literally just parked vehicles up for two months and done nothing to them surely opens themselves to questions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CN04NRJ

Established Member
From what I have seen and heard, operators are moving vehicles and keeping them 'ticking over'. Indeed, in a two week gap since I cycled past, my local depot has moved every single vehicle that I could see front and back. I have, as said more than one, based my theory on any uptick in service coming in Stage 2, i.e. from 4 June, at the earliest, not immediately. Of course some days will be required, but a gradual increase in service should be linked to a gradual increase in vehicle ability. An operator who has literally just parked vehicles up for two months and done nothing to them surely opens themselves to questions.

What about companies, as I suggested in my first post, that have hundreds of vehicles off the road? How do you keep all of these serviceable at multiple storage locations when all you have is a skeleton level of engineering staff (just enough to keep what buses ARE being used on the road). The answer is you can't, it's clear you have no experience of working or involvement in the industry.

What questions would companies in this scenario be open to, in your opinion?

duncombec

I've interpreted it to mean all vehicles, though most of our single deckers are delicenced at the moment.

Interesting. Services here have generally been limited to single-deckers, presumably on the grounds of fuel efficiency, although as they are largely newer, they have better screens. If you feel comfortable saying, does that seem reasonable to you, or should it be less - say closer to 20?

We currently have about 150 buses and coaches delicenced which will all need inspections etc before returning to service, at least a months worth of work.

Using your estimate, and the fact that a full service is unlikely to be required until at least July (thus 6 weeks at least), that's about 25 vehicles a week. Would it seem plausible to you to have, say, 40-50 vehicles ready for a nominal increase date of 4 June (or if not, how many would be reasonable), even if only on peak hour extras as part of a phased return? In my area, that would allow an uptick in most frequencies from, say, hourly to half-hourly, or provision of extra vehicles for the longer routes.

Last edited:

Eyersey468

Established Member
Interesting. Services here have generally been limited to single-deckers, presumably on the grounds of fuel efficiency, although as they are largely newer, they have better screens. If you feel comfortable saying, does that seem reasonable to you, or should it be less - say closer to 20?

Using your estimate, and the fact that a full service is unlikely to be required until at least July (thus 6 weeks at least), that's about 25 vehicles a week. Would it seem plausible to you to have, say, 40-50 vehicles ready for a nominal increase date of 4 June (or if not, how many would be reasonable), even if only on peak hour extras as part of a phased return? In my area, that would allow an uptick in most frequencies from, say, hourly to half-hourly, or provision of extra vehicles for the longer routes.
In terms of single deckers I agree 20-25 passengers is probably a better number given the circumstances. I would say that 40-50 vehicles ready by the 4th June is certainly plausible, I've heard through the grapevine though not officially we will probably have about 70-80 done by then.

AB93

What about companies, as I suggested in my first post, that have hundreds of vehicles off the road? How do you keep all of these serviceable at multiple storage locations when all you have is a skeleton level of engineering staff (just enough to keep what buses ARE being used on the road). The answer is you can't, it's clear you have no experience of working or involvement in the industry.

What questions would companies in this scenario be open to, in your opinion?
My company falls into that category and is already in the motions of re-mobilising many of the fleet in preparation for them being needed.
We have already provided buses to assist elsewhere during lockdown.

Not personally, no, but I have friends and acquaintances who do currently (and who do not share your opinions), and have had family members in the past.

However, that shouldn't stop you answering my questions, such as when your experiences were, or what additional support/equipment you think is necessary, and who should provide it, or indeed for examples where drivers feel this is not the case.

Yes, I thought not.

Once again, the original posters scenario envisions a world where the furloughed drivers and sorned buses have already returned to service in order to carry the 51 passengers, there are no others sitting around waiting.

Look at the state of the buses this morning in London. But we were told this wouldn't happen.

What do I expect the bus companies to do? From the very start they should have done much more, outright lies on social media about PPE, hand gel, cleaning routines, also drivers still taking cash, giving change for far too long, pretending attack screens would some how, magically, protect the driver from a virus.

As employers they have a duty of care to their staff, something they will do anything to ignore, but then I read from the resident " experts" on here that is not true. Drivers are lone workers and are entitled to protection just like other lone workers, send the inspectors out. Except most companies got rid of them and the few that remain will be invisible now.

If you ever want to see a depot manager go white, mention to him that legally, he has a duty of care to his staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.