• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Soham station progress updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Given the ground conditions in the fens it's probably best they over engineer it somewhat!
Bear in mind this ground has been built on before, there were platforms here built of brick (old photos) which lasted 100 years until the 1960s closure, and didn't seem to subside at all or similar. It's not Chat Moss.

All the 1920s GWR halts built of prefab sections in the 1920s I recall were still intact and level to the line in the 1960s when they were closed as well, in fact some were still there long after the track was lifted and obviously maintenance ceased. You don't have to gold plate to be robust.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I once had known roof issues that needed some work. The scaffolding going up and down cost just as much as the roof renewal. However, the work on the roof couldn't have been done without the scaffolding. And the work couldn't have realistically be continued to be put off. Any stopgap would have been much more difficult and long term ended up costing more.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Is the line being doubled in conjunction with the station being built?

No (you can see the double-single turnout off the platform end in one of the photos), although the bridge etc will passively provide for it to be added later.

Bear in mind this ground has been built on before, there were platforms here built of brick (old photos) which lasted 100 years until the 1960s closure, and didn't seem to subside at all or similar. It's not Chat Moss.

I'll trust that the engineers have made the proper judgement on this one. If there's one chance to build the station, build it to last. (The ground conditions round those parts are what all engineers should be wary of)

alf

On Moderation
I wonder if there is genuine passive provision at Soham for a second platform - on a line that needs double tracking throughout.

I watched the third platform being built at South Tottenham & believed the officially assurances from Network Rail that it would have passive provision for a fourth platform.

It is quite clear there is not even space to thread a mini RH & Dymchurch track through at South Tottenham even without a platform.

So I am sceptical of Network Rail press office assertions about passive provision.
Perhaps the NR press office who regularly helpfully comment on the forum could elaborate.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I wonder if there is genuine passive provision at Soham for a second platform - on a line that needs double tracking throughout.

Yes there is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neen Sollars

Just going back to Xenophon`s original question. How is work progressing at Soham station and does it look as if it will be completed by December 2021? I guess we will have to wait until the autumn to see if a December timetable change will see trains stop there.

kev1974

Spotted this update on Soham (with a couple of pics) in the local newspaper the other day.

A key milestone in the development of a new railway station was completed over the bank holiday weekend, connecting it to the wider signalling network.

The completion of signalling work at a new station in Soham is an important milestone in the construction process to allow future train services to call there safely.

From December this year, Greater Anglia’s Ipswich to Peterborough service will be able to stop at Soham.

It will mark the first time a timetabled passenger train has called at the town for 56 years.

Last edited:

mawallace

I liked this part of the report:-

The completion of signalling work at a new station in Soham is an important milestone in the construction process to allow future train services to call there safely.

Can you imaigne where trains would be allowed to call at a station 'dangerously' :lol:

WesternBiker

That's pretty much word perfectly lifted from the NR press notice.

As has been noted in another thread, NR press notices are full of these redundant or odd phrases. I like the reference to "Network Rail, along with their contractor, J Murphy and Sons has worked diligently to deliver this key milestone...". As if they wouldn't be diligent?

Taunton

Established Member
I like the reference to "Network Rail, along with their contractor, J Murphy and Sons has worked diligently to deliver this key milestone...". As if they wouldn't be diligent?
Possibly a sly comment at what happened on the Goblin electrification. Contractor ...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The station features in the new Greater Anglia timetable, commencing 12 December 2021. Available here: GA Timetable 7 - from December

Although the timetable commences on Sunday 12 December, there are no trains shown as calling on that date in RTT (RealTime Trains) - services are shown for Sundays 19 December onwards. Trains are shown for Monday 13 December with the first call being at 0649 which is the 0540 ex Colchester to Peterborough. 16 trains per day Monday to Friday.

At this stage I have seen no official confirmation of the opening date for the station but there is no footnote in the timetable to suggest that the station 'may open during the currency of this timetable'.

Shwam3

The first trains will be the ones you have identified on Monday 13th December.
It would open with the timetable change on the Sunday but there are engineering works that day.

Two test trips (5G02/5G03) ran through the new station last Sunday to test and prepare everything for opening.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
That's pretty much word perfectly lifted from the NR press notice.

As has been noted in another thread, NR press notices are full of these redundant or odd phrases.

Not just Network Rail. PR people go round the earth twice to both cover their bums and wind up the hype on every single issue - because their clients are freaking out over the slightest, vaguest, hint of anything negative and want their product to be sugar coated. Also, the PR companies want to justify their contracts, so they'll suggest changes to texts to look, well, diligent :)

I like the reference to "Network Rail, along with their contractor, J Murphy and Sons has worked diligently to deliver this key milestone...". As if they wouldn't be diligent?

Well, maybe they 'went the extra mile' on the job, and it was noted. But more likely hype.

But perhaps the Murphy bit added later - shouldn't the verb be "have worked" since there are two subjects?

Possibly a sly comment at what happened on the Goblin electrification. Contractor ...
Could you expand, please, Mr T?

The station features in the new Greater Anglia timetable, commencing 12 December 2021. Available here: GA Timetable 7 - from December

Although the timetable commences on Sunday 12 December, there are no trains shown as calling on that date in RTT (RealTime Trains) - services are shown for Sundays 19 December onwards. Trains are shown for Monday 13 December with the first call being at 0649 which is the 0540 ex Colchester to Peterborough. 16 trains per day Monday to Friday.
Great news, I'd say.

I'm not sure what the traffic figures will be though. As has been said previously, the natural destination for most travellers from Soham is surely Cambridge.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
The problems there were with the design not the contractors, both changes in regulations didn't help and the drawings delivered by the design firm's Indian office were often non compliant or unbuildable or both.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The first trains will be the ones you have identified on Monday 13th December.
It would open with the timetable change on the Sunday but there are engineering works that day.

Being somewhat out of the loop at present, is Monday 13th December actually a hard-and-fast official opening date for the new Soham station and if so, where has such an official confirmation been made.

2021 has only seen Bow Street open this year.

bspahh

Established Member
https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/traffic/station-gets-first-train-after-56-years-8502860
says:

An ‘unofficial’ opening of Soham station has already taken place.

Photographs released by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CAPCA) reveal the first trains have already stopped there.

Not, of course, to collect passengers but as a practice exercise.

The station doesn’t officially open until December 12 but Network Rail needed a trial spot to carry out tests...

755 401 stopped at the platform at Soham

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good to see another station being added to the network, and one which hasn't been delayed once construction has started.

Taunton

Established Member
Is there going to be any pleasant ceremony at opening commemorating the explosion? I recall there have been one or two at the site for various anniversaries of it, with locos with names of those involved present.

A good number of people were present with cameras to record 755418 arriving this morning at Soham. A few were travelling to join in a moment of local railway history. It will be interesting to see how many will use the station in the years ahead.

Established Member
The main event was around 11.00, after the arrival of trains from Peterborough and Ipswich. BBC, brass band, a refreshment wagon, and all the dignitaries you would expect were present.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
A good number of people were present with cameras to record 755418 arriving this morning at Soham. A few were travelling to join in a moment of local railway history. It will be interesting to see how many will use the station in the years ahead.
Indeed! But meanwhile, congratulations to Soham and all the local authorities that helped make it happen!

MML

£18 million for a single platform. Can someone provide a breakdown of the actual costs? I presume £17 million was on consultants. Unless the platforms are paved with gold, it's an extortionate spend. Didn't even have a station building, just shelters.

alistairlees

Established Member
£18 million for a single platform. Can someone provide a breakdown of the actual costs? I presume £17 million was on consultants. Unless the platforms are paved with gold, it's an extortionate spend. Didn't even have a station building, just shelters.
I too would like to know how it amounted to this much money (£18.6m in fact). I asked a while ago on here and was told that this was how much things cost... in other words, no answer.

Llandudno

Established Member
I too would like to know how it amounted to this much money (£18.6m in fact). I asked a while ago on here and was told that this was how much things cost... in other words, no answer.
Makes Wales’ Bow Street a mere snip at £8m!

Status
Not open for further replies.