• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Solihull Moors FA Trophy Special Train - 11th May 2024

silexa

Bookings have opened for a HST hauled train to Wembley from Solihull on 11th May.

Bookings are being done via Retro Railtours - good if you want an afternoon in and around London with some HST haulage action (or to watch the Solihull Moors game!)

Retro Railtours Booking here!

Prices are:
£79 return for standard class
£109 return for first class

Train is consisting of HST Powercars and Mk2 Rolling stock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Forty29

Doesn't say what type of coaches apart from "comfortable inter-city coaches", so guess will be Mk 3 stock?

silexa

Doesn't say what type of coaches apart from "comfortable inter-city coaches", so guess will be Mk 3 stock?
Can confirm it is Mk2 Stock rather than Mk3. Consist of PC + 1 x First Class, 5 x Standard + Generator + PC

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Can confirm it is Mk2 Stock rather than Mk3. Consist of PC + 1 x First Class, 5 x Standard + Generator + PC
Didn’t know HST power cars could work with normal hauled coaches - or have these (pcs) been specially adapted?

The exile

Established Member
Wouldn’t have thought that the power cars could communicate with each other through Mk 2s “as built”. But I suppose on a shortish rake from Solihull to Wembley they could effectively t&t with only the leading power car operational.

silexa

Wouldn’t have thought that the power cars could communicate with each other through Mk 2s “as built”. But I suppose on a shortish rake from Solihull to Wembley they could effectively t&t with only the leading power car operational.
Yeah, this is what is happening :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've heard through the grapevine that unfortunately, the bookings were very light, and it would have been unsustainable to run the tour; those who booked have been refunded.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's a shame, we need to get the Footex's back on the rails.
They can't compete with road transport on price; I understand coaches are available for £25 return, i.e. less than a quarter of the cost the train would have been.

Crossover

Established Member
I've heard through the grapevine that unfortunately, the bookings were very light, and it would have been unsustainable to run the tour; those who booked have been refunded.
Now posted officially, at least on the Retro socials

GS250

At that ticket price I'm not surprised. 'Footex' services should not cost double the price of an ordinary day return.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
At that ticket price I'm not surprised. 'Footex' services should not cost double the price of an ordinary day return.
It's very expensive to run excursion trains.
Footexes run quite regularly, they haven't been consigned to history.
Nowhere near as regularly as in the past; they are pretty niche these days. I bet only a tiny proportion of football fans have been on a 'footex'.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It's very expensive to run excursion trains.

Nowhere near as regularly as in the past; they are pretty niche these days. I bet only a tiny proportion of football fans have been on a 'footex'.

Indeed although not all 'footexes' are immediately obvious as such, for example Club Wembley quite regularly hire stock from Chiltern to get supporters to the stadium for international fixtures. Charter operator LSL have also provided stock for footexes in the recent past. With the limited amount of stock available and ever-increasing hire costs it's clear we'll never see the number of footexes that ran in the 1970s and 80s ever again.

Meerkat

Established Member
To be honest, as a travelling football fan, I wouldn’t trust the railway to get me to the game on a set train.
I do go by train quite often, but leave loads of slack…..and don’t really want to be on the same train as some of our fans!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Footexes run quite regularly, they haven't been consigned to history.
Indeed Northern quite regularly run them when Middlesbrough play Sunderland for instance. Typically a 4-car 156 will do the honours (used to be a pair of 142s) and as far as I'm aware regular tickets are valid no special fares.

I think what you probably see less of is the long distance footex crossing the country. Though they're not completely consigned to history as you say.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think what you probably see less of is the long distance footex crossing the country. Though they're not completely consigned to history as you say.
I think Lumo ran an extra after the FA trophy final for Gateshead fans to get home from Wembley.

They are looking at running extras for the upcoming England game at Sid James Park.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think Lumo ran an extra after the FA trophy final for Gateshead fans to get home from Wembley.
Yep I'm pretty sure you're right that they did. Long distance Footex's definitely still happen but I guess it's more that they don't happen every week for random league games. It tends to be for more major occasions like cup finals, play-offs, etc or for internationals. I do think though that in general the death of the footex, whilst widely reported, is premature!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Yep I'm pretty sure you're right that they did. Long distance Footex's definitely still happen but I guess it's more that they don't happen every week for random league games. It tends to be for more major occasions like cup finals, play-offs, etc or for internationals. I do think though that in general the death of the footex, whilst widely reported, is premature!
agreed! It is rare for a a longer distance trip to run outside of a cup final.

There was a period a few years ago when London clubs often ran a class 86/87 hauled mkii rake to evening premier league games in the North West but that seems to have died a death. I think that all stopped when Thomas Cook ceased being "official travel partner" of the PL.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Euro warm up game against Bosnia & Herzegovina on Monday 3 June.

I believe so - Bosnia & Herzagovina will visit the Byker Grove Bowl for a pre euro friendly.
It’s nice to actually see an England game being played up North, more of the friendlies should alternate around grounds other than just Wembley.

Too many times I have had to book hotels in London (sometimes at ridiculous cost!) as the FA seems to think that all fans live within the vicinity of the M25.

Last edited: