• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sony 50mm f1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherlock37

Hi all

I have been considering to buy the 50mm standard f1.8 lens by Sony for my Sony a300.

I am looking to take moving night shots without flash which is to why I need such a low aperture.

Would anybody recommend this lens, and or recommend that I get it just for the experience with the good aperture and increasing my shutter.

I currently use Minolta lenses, with both a 70-300mm f4 zoom and a 28-80mm f4 lens.

Both, not ideal for moving or but good for slow moving or station night objects at 1/10 & f4.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neu O

Impressive, although I also expect that the built in steady shot has also helped. I have had some success wih a Minolta 28mm lens on a Sony a550.

I have also got a Nikon D90 with a 1.8 lens, but the lack of stabilisation does show more than on my Sony.

TGVDUDE

Due to the days getting darker earlier now, I am thinking of getting the Sony 50mm f1.4, Am I right in saying that It will bring lighter results because of its aperture of 1.4, letting more light onto the sensor?

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Kind of.....

The amount of light that reaches the sensor is determined by a combination of shutter speed and aperture, a big aperture (low F number) will allow you to use a higher shutter speed when there is not much light available and unless you have a tripod, a level surface, or very steady hands you will need to avoid low shutter speeds (1/60th and under), and to catch any movement a higher shutter speed will always be required.

TGVDUDE

Kind of.....

The amount of light that reaches the sensor is determined by a combination of shutter speed and aperture, a big aperture (low F number) will allow you to use a higher shutter speed when there is not much light available and unless you have a tripod, a level surface, or very steady hands you will need to avoid low shutter speeds (1/60th and under), and to catch any movement a higher shutter speed will always be required.

Thanks yeah I know about the Shutter Speeds etc, just checking on the aperture, Thanks :D looking forward to decent evening/night shots in the future soon.

507 001

Established Member
one thing to be careful of with a 1.8 is the very shallow depth of field, so more care has to be taken where your focusing :)

The sony F1.8/1.4 is a great lens, I have the original minolta 1.8 version and a friend the sony version, both are fantastic lenses (they are pretty much the same lens, sony never made many changes to the minolta lenses apart from new casings!)

Rob
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob_rossington"[/URL]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.