• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sorrento -> Rome Train Tips

800Travel

Hi,

Considering a trip around Italy which will involve a rail connection between Sorrento and Rome.

Tools like Traksy and Realtime Trains have been invaluable to helping me understand the UK rail network, but can’t find anything of similar detail for this route/network.

Any tips for useful tools, things to be aware of on the network, best seats etc. would be much appreciated please.

Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

Established Member
Use the cirvumvesiviana to Naples Central and then either Trenitalia's Freccia services or Italo up to Rome. I'd check the Man at Seat 61 website for more details

Veteran Member
Just to add, in case it's not obvious: the Circumvesuviana is the local inter-urban narrow-gauge rail network (significant parts now underground) which uses Porte Nolana Station in Naples, very close to the FS Centrale station.

For the Naples-Rome section, the line via Latina used by slower trains has a coastal section, so getting a seat on the LH side in that direction is marginally worth it.

nwales58

also, if booking on the day and the Frecce are expensive, for about EUR 14 there are near-hourly Regionale taking 2h45 rather than 1h10.

If travelling around means spending more than Eur30 on regional trains look at the Italian in Tour multi-day tickets.

AnyFile

You can find the timetable from Sorrento to Napoli on this page
timetable of railway lines
Direct link to the pdf: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/ORARI NAPOLI SORRENTO_dal 2 Ottobre 2023_0.pdf

Or you can use this tools Online journey planner
The same site redirect to a different website for the fares.
According to Unico Campania
for a single journey from Sorrento to Napoli you need to pay the fare NA5
For a single journey using only the railway you need the "Corsa semplice" (standard one way ticket). It costs 4.60 eur
For a single journey using one or more buses and the train you need a "biglietto orario". This is a ticket with comprehensive ("Integrato") validity on both the bus network and the train network. This ticket costs 5.80 eur. For this fare it is valid 180 minutes (3 hours)

800Travel

Thanks all, really helpful to know :)

Does anyone know of a way to avoid Circumvesuviana on the routing please? Just put it into google, and the telegraph is suggesting it is in very bad shape (leaking roofs, graffiti everywhere, targeted by vandals etc.).

Guessing there is nothing like Traksy for Italy in terms of real time signalling maps?

nwales58

On the subject of Unico Campania, don't bother trying to use the app for tickets. Creating an account involves receiving an SMS that never arrives, to my UK mobile at least. For journey planning the app and web site bus times may or may not match reality and journeys involving Trenitalia shows the fastest ignoring that you would seldom use a Frecce for Naples-Salerno.

The most important URL in Italy is:
Eg EAV has a 4 hour strike on the morning of 30/05 (I managed to land in Naples in the middle of one of these last month)

AnyFile

To monitor the real time of a train you can use Viaggiatreno

However I am afraid it seems not to work for the Circumvesuviana

You can see Live Departures and Arrivals if you go to this page Orario Treni Eav S.r.l. - tleindicatori stazione

To see the departures from Sorrento to Naples, select

In the first line select L1 Napoli - Sorrento
In the second line write Sorrento
Press below the Partenza (Departure)[/url]

nwales58

Circumvesuviana is a genuinely southern Italian experience. To avoid it, poke around on Unco Campania for buses. Trenitalia have a less frequent service as far as Castellammare di Stabia.

Ferries Napoli-Sorrento are another option, at tourist prices.

By the way, if a search gives you the sita bus web site for Amalfi bus times, it has not been updated since about 2016. There is a tourist office site somewhere with current times. Or Unico Campania, the region's site ...

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Does anyone know of a way to avoid Circumvesuviana on the routing please? Just put it into google, and the telegraph is suggesting it is in very bad shape (leaking roofs, graffiti everywhere, targeted by vandals etc.).
It’s worth experiencing - like a glorified ancient tram running at train speeds. It’s not the height of comfort, but having used it, I wouldn’t avoid it if it was the most convenient route for where I was going.

SeanG

Established Member
Great views too.

If you are precious about using a normal person's mode of transport there is an hourly tourist train which has more modern stock and a much higher price. It only stops at the main tourist stations but doesn't take that much quicker

nw1

Established Member
You can find the timetable from Sorrento to Napoli on this page
timetable of railway lines
Direct link to the pdf: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/ORARI NAPOLI SORRENTO_dal 2 Ottobre 2023_0.pdf
As an aside, I used the Circumvesuviana in 1985 on a school trip and the current timetable has changed compared to then. Services appear to make more stops south of Torre Annunziata, but are faster north thereof. In 1985 all Sorrento services stopped at Ercolano, for example (which we used to reach Herculaneum).

Most trains are class Direttissimo, while in 1985 there were slower Diretto and Accelerato trains, too.

A different pattern nowadays, as well. In 1985 it was based on a 20-min headway with gaps. So you might have got, for example, 0811, 0831, 0911, 0951, 1031, 1111, 1131 etc. Now it's a 36-min headway, I presume this is based on 5 departures for hour on a repeating cycle of three routes?

Which parts are underground now? I remember east of Vico Equense the railway has to tunnel under the mountains at times, but most was above ground.

It’s worth experiencing - like a glorified ancient tram running at train speeds. It’s not the height of comfort, but having used it, I wouldn’t avoid it if it was the most convenient route for where I was going.

Do they still have the same stock that was used in 1985? (I have the feeling this has come up before, but can't remember if it was answered).

I recall the stock then was 3-car OHLE EMUs with a pointed front end, running usually in 6- or 9-car formations. Plastic seats, I think, but wasn't bothered. The stock seemed modern at the time, perhaps late 70s or very early 80s. Don't remember perceiving it as something to avoid, but again the stock was presumably quite new then.

Sorry to go on about reminiscences but this was my 2nd-ever experience of overseas railways (Caravelle DMUs in the Massif Central being the first, in 1983).

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Do they still have the same stock that was used in 1985?
Some of it could be that old. Wikipedia lists the rolling stock, better explained in the Italian version.
Shots here from my visit in 2022. The interior is of an older type sinilar to that in the first pic. The newer looking type in the third pic was on one of those 'express' services:
IMG_4354.jpeg

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg

I used Napoli Garibaldi rather than Nolana, as it's practically part of the Centrale station complex:
IMG_7319.jpeg

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
Some of it could be that old. Wikipedia lists the rolling stock, better explained in the Italian version.
Shots here from my visit in 2022. The interior is of an older type sinilar to that in the first pic. The newer looking type in the third pic was on one of those 'express' services:
View attachment 157699

View attachment 157701

View attachment 157700

I used Napoli Garibaldi rather than Nolana, as it's practically part of the Centrale station complex:
View attachment 157702

Thanks for those. The EMUs I remember didn't resemble either of those (the second one is too new, and the first too flat at the front) but the interior looks roughly like what I remember. At the time they had a purple-and-white livery.

We definitely used the terminus, though according to Wikipedia it was just "Napoli" in those days, which would explain why the name Porta Nolana doesn't sound very familiar.

nw1

Established Member
From what I can make out from the Italian Wikipedia site, it looks like a batch of EMUs (FE 220) were introduced from 1971 to 1979, and that's probably what I used. There are pics of these with a fairly "pointy nose" and with a livery vaguely resembling what I remember, though more maroon than purple (it was a long time ago!)

These were then supplemented by a further batch around 1989-1993 (T21) which is the "flatter" one, and finally the "express" units came in around 2008-9.

I haven't translated the site but it looks to me (I don't know Italian but I can figure out the meaning of some of the words) like the FE220 units are still in service?

There is certainly a photo showing them from 2017, so they obviously lasted that long at the very least. Think about it, the oldest units are the same age as many of our own CIGs and VEPs.
In fact the 2017 photo brings back memories from 1985, such as the station design and style of the lighting. It could easily have still been the mid-80s!

Photo (Wikipedia): Circumvesuviana EMUs in 2017

EDIT:

On Timetable World one of the FS timetables (that of 1982) includes the Circumvesuviana routes. Timetables show a frequent service (1-2tph on the Sorrento route off-peak, more frequent in the peak) but completely non-clockface.
By 1985 the service on the Sorrento route at least had developed a rather simpler pattern, as noted above.

Also looks like in 1982 that the Direttissimo faster trains skipped Ercolano. By 1985 it was definitely a call for most or all of them.

Last edited: