• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Croydon speed limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernrail

Hi. I can’t find a thread on this. Does anybody know why the speed limit at South Croydon has not been fixed overnight? It was there 2 days ago and as it is on the TL routes, is infecting the rest of the network very easily. Bearing in mind how timetable sensitive this route is, I would have thought there would be major efforts fix the problem (described as a minor track defect). Not saying there hasn’t, but just interested as to why it hasn’t.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hi. I can’t find a thread on this. Does anybody know why the speed limit at South Croydon has not been fixed overnight? It was there 2 days ago and as it is on the TL routes, is infecting the rest of the network very easily. Bearing in mind how timetable sensitive this route is, I would have thought there would be major efforts fix the problem (described as a minor track defect). Not saying there hasn’t, but just interested as to why it hasn’t.

Are you referring to a speed restriction? What speed has been imposed? Is it a TSR or ESR? Probably the same reason why a track defect isn't repaired immediately anywhere on the network - lack of a suitable timeframe to do the repair, non-availability of p-way crew to carry out the work and so on.

Sunset route

Established Member

There is no emergency speed restriction in place at South Croydon, but there is a rail defect within the junction that requires that the engineers take a Line Blockage every hour to inspect. They are hoping to repair the rail defect tonight.

modernrail

There is no emergency speed restriction in place at South Croydon, but there is a rail defect within the junction that requires that the engineers take a Line Blockage every hour to inspect. They are hoping to repair the rail defect tonight.

Attachments

• AC57FBF9-8D77-4183-9EC5-40235226B097.png
    AC57FBF9-8D77-4183-9EC5-40235226B097.png
    504.3 KB · Views: 149

Sunset route

Established Member
IMG_5598.png

At 11.00 am today the track engineers imposed a non boarded 5mph emergency speed restriction over the effected fixed diamond crossing for train movements on the Down Slow Line and Up East Grinstead line, other routes are not effected. There has been no emergency or any other speed restrictions over the effected portion of line up until that point. All train movements are being diverted around the effect portion of line via other routes at the junction. The engineers hope to repair the defect tonight.

modernrail

View attachment 142239

At 11.00 am today the track engineers imposed a non boarded 5mph emergency speed restriction over the effected fixed diamond crossing for train movements on the Down Slow Line and Up East Grinstead line, other routes are not effected. There has been no emergency or any other speed restrictions over the effected portion of line up until that point. All train movements are being diverted around the effect portion of line via other routes at the junction. The engineers hope to repair the defect tonight.
Thanks for the info. I have had reasons to use almost every TL limb over the last few days and it has been littered with short delays and some cancellations - wonder how much of it is down to this vs other things. Fingers crossed for a fix tonight.

Sunset route

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I have had reasons to use almost every TL limb over the last few days and it has been littered with short delays and some cancellations - wonder how much of it is down to this vs other things. Fingers crossed for a fix tonight.

This was only discovered between the early hours and the start of service today, I didn’t really pay attention to the time.

modernrail

This was only discovered between the early hours and the start of service today, I didn’t really pay attention to the time.
Odd, my Brighton train crawled through the area a couple of days ago as well making it 10 or so late into East Croydon. Maybe coincidence.

Sunset route

Established Member
Odd, my Brighton train crawled through the area a couple of days ago as well making it 10 or so late into East Croydon. Maybe coincidence.

I’ve not been aware of any problems through East / South Croydon effecting the Fast lLines this week and the current problem only effects a very small portion of Down Slow / Up East Grinstead Lines that can easily be worked around without the need to caution trains.

Last edited:
It’s now 29 September and no solution. Up East Grinstead trains are using the connection to the reversible line and some down EG trains are also using platform 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.