• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Dock (Sunderland) Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

EC123

anyone know the current status of the south dock branch? Does it still receive any traffic to/from the docks?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
Nothing for several months - the scrap traffic goes by coastal shipping now, I'm afraid!

MARK

EC123

That figures. Had a feeling it wouldn’t be the comeback they were envisaging, without regular work.

GrandCentral

A massive shame that it hasn't been too successful so far. I don't think it's being marketed particularly well though. The Port has had some problems with its cranes recently and the shunters are no longer on site. A lot of stone, gypsum and wood pulp passes through Sunderland so the market could be there if it was pushed. Nissan is the obvious customer but the infrastructure just isn't there and they would be mad to leave Port of Tyne.

SeanG

Established Member
There is the implementation of the Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor at the moment to try and attract Nissan to use Port of Sunderland

GrandCentral

There is the implementation of the Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor at the moment to try and attract Nissan to use Port of Sunderland

It seems to be more aimed at road transport going into the port though. It's a massive shame but the lines just don't go near enough to Nissan to make Rail Transport to any port worth it.

Has anyone heard if the shunters are ever going to be returned or are they staying at Bowes?

EC123

Hopefully it picks up and gets off the ground. A valuable asset that is woefully underpublicised.

As for Nissan. Maybe if the Leamside was still open, a rail link to the plant would exist. It’s not far from the site of the track passing by the area.

I drove passed the docks the other day and it was a hive of activity. Shame more can’t be sourced.

GrandCentral

Not much chance of Leamside reopening anytime soon, most of the line is gone now and the infrastructure has been smashed to pieces.

The problem we have at the minute is that the port seems to be trying to attract ships connected to the offshore industry, gas, oil and wind. Not much call for rail transport for those industries I expect.

Jonny

Established Member
Not much chance of Leamside reopening anytime soon, most of the line is gone now and the infrastructure has been smashed to pieces.

The problem we have at the minute is that the port seems to be trying to attract ships connected to the offshore industry, gas, oil and wind. Not much call for rail transport for those industries I expect.

Much as I would like to see the Leamside line re-open to trains, I would say that squeezing a few more blocks into the Durham Coast line (and two operational platforms at Hartlepool) would be a more realistic proposition... or both...

GrandCentral

Much as I would like to see the Leamside line re-open to trains, I would say that squeezing a few more blocks into the Durham Coast line (and two operational platforms at Hartlepool) would be a more realistic proposition... or both...

Totally agree, the re-signalling has helped but in theory we should be using the Durham Coast line a hell of a lot more. The Metro north of Sunderland taking up so many paths really doesn't make things easy for trains that want to use it as an ECML diversion.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I would say that squeezing a few more blocks into the Durham Coast line (and two operational platforms at Hartlepool) would be a more realistic proposition

I always thought the issue was Sunderland-Pelaw and the Metro trains needing double-blocks between them.

EC123

We regularly get ‘sandwiched’ on our jaunts via the coast. And not stopping we catch up the train ahead rather. A lot of traffic on a small, slow section. Would be good to see the DCL get some More
Investment and see More use it.

As for the port. It makes sense. Tyne is a much more attractable location for assets that require rail. Offshore stuff, not gonna benefit the rail section. Given how well tyne has done, maybe it was doomed from the off. Sunderland hasn’t been the same since the end of the petrofina days.

Status
Not open for further replies.