• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Eastern from St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

I took the opportunity to try HS1 from ST recently. What an anti climax. You start off shooting along at whatever and then it all comes to an end while you trundle along stopping at God knows where until you arrive at your destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Can you elaborate a bit further in terms of what journey you did and which sections of the journey you were roughly talking about please?

It is all a bit confusing what you're trying to say.

pitdiver

Sorry iI got interrupted and somehow the posted got posted. I decided that In would just try the Southeastern service to the North Kent Coastal towns. I didn't realise that it becomes for all intents and purposes a stopping service. It just seemed such a contrast between the HS bit and the classic section. What I did notice that as the journey progressed the announcement s changed. If I remember the final destination initially announced was Ramsgate when I alighted at Margate iI think it had become Dover Priory.

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
You were on the circular one that returns to St Pancras via Dover and Ashford. It’s common practice for a halfway destination to show so passengers for Ashford don’t join at St Pancras and go all the way round through Faversham, Ramsgate and Dover but rather get the faster services direct to Ashford.

I do sort of agree. Such an ‘intercity’ style start with the stock from St Pancras, but not at all when rolling from Gravesend to Chatham.

pitdiver

I had already tried the service to Ashford direct. That was quite impressive. My next trip will be to Brussels when I have sorted out the Priv Oysters for the wife and I.

Lrd

Established Member
I had already tried the service to Ashford direct. That was quite impressive. My next trip will be to Brussels when I have sorted out the Priv Oysters for the wife and I.
Oyster doesn't work in Brussels ;)

pitdiver

Oyster doesn't work in Brussels ;)
As ex LUL staff with a PTAC I can get special rate on EStar. However you have to provide a Retired Oyster Number. As I don't live in London I have never bothered to get a Retired Oyster. So enable me to get discounted Rate on E* I have to have an Oyster.

Lrd

Established Member
As ex LUL staff with a PTAC I can get special rate on EStar. However you have to provide a Retired Oyster Number. As I don't live in London I have never bothered to get a Retired Oyster. So enable me to get discounted Rate on E* I have to have an Oyster.
Ahh that makes sense. I've not booked a cheap Eurostar yet but I'm sure I have to give employee number (I'm not retired)

Edit: ignore me, it's staff oyster. Makes sense

pitdiver

I have already been to Paris for the day on the E* when it used Waterloo. This was also using the special Priv rate. Did not think much of Paris but really just went for the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.