• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Staffs Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkkent

Hi folks

I know that the South Staffs line from Potters Lane, Wednesbury towards Brierley Hill is being readied to become Line 2 of the Metro but does anyone know if Network Rail are going to clear the line northwards from Potters Lane to the Bescot Curve and Pleck junctions so that freight traffic could be reinstated?

It would be a shame if this wasn’t considered given that the South Staffs corridor would be functional again and freight companies I think would relish the thought of having a more direct route through the West Midlands being available.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Hi folks

I know that the South Staffs line from Potters Lane, Wednesbury towards Brierley Hill is being readied to become Line 2 of the Metro but does anyone know if Network Rail are going to clear the line northwards from Potters Lane to the Bescot Curve and Pleck junctions so that freight traffic could be reinstated?

It would be a shame if this wasn’t considered given that the South Staffs corridor would be functional again and freight companies I think would relish the thought of having a more direct route through the West Midlands being available.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Not in the next decade I would have thought. You need Worcester to be re-signalled first anyway. I have my doubts about what it really releases for freight anyway as you would still need to go via the Sutton Park to Water Orton. The Lickey would still be quicker.

Class 170101

Established Member
Not in the next decade I would have thought. You need Worcester to be re-signalled first anyway. I have my doubts about what it really releases for freight anyway as you would still need to go via the Sutton Park to Water Orton. The Lickey would still be quicker.

I thought most freight avoided Lickey due to gradients from Bromsgrove to Barnt Green though.

Class 170101

Established Member
Old Hill is pretty steep and up to Dudley was never exactly flat either.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that some freight that could go this way chooses the longer route via Hereford due to gradients via Lickey as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.