• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales Metro Service Pattern

Smwrff

This was recently posted in Twitter showing the planned service patterns for South Wales Metro to be introduced progressively from mid 2024. It is is mostly (90% ?) factual/confirmed with the speculative bits shown dotted. 20240120_064905.jpg- yes - I wish he wouldnt use the outdated Valley Lines logo either...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
It's not clear from the map (and I don't live in or near Cardiff) but are the three lines in different shades of blue the tram-train routes? Wouldn't it make more sense to run tram-trains Coryton to Cardiff Bay and beyond, with the possible north-west extension to an M4 Park & Ride? The Coryton branch has closely spaced stations so is ideal for tram operation. (A passing loop, required for a 15 minutes interval service has I understand, been dropped). A tram-train all the way from Aberdare, Treherbert and Merthyr, with no toilets and a ride probably inferior to a heavy-rail emu, doesn't sound an attractive proposition.

I understand that trams cannot run off 25kV AC wires on-street, hence the need for batteries, also that tram-trains would not be allowed through Cardiff Central so Penarth has to be heavy rail - is that correct?

anthony263

Established Member
It's not clear from the map (and I don't live in or near Cardiff) but are the three lines in different shades of blue the tram-train routes? Wouldn't it make more sense to run tram-trains Coryton to Cardiff Bay and beyond, with the possible north-west extension to an M4 Park & Ride? The Coryton branch has closely spaced stations so is ideal for tram operation. (A passing loop, required for a 15 minutes interval service has I understand, been dropped). A tram-train all the way from Aberdare, Treherbert and Merthyr, with no toilets and a ride probably inferior to a heavy-rail emu, doesn't sound an attractive proposition.

I understand that trams cannot run off 25kV AC wires on-street, hence the need for batteries, also that tram-trains would not be allowed through Cardiff Central so Penarth has to be heavy rail - is that correct?
Some of the aberdare abd merthyr tram-trains are looping clockwise via the city line so are perfectly fine to run on street