• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Energisation of the OHLE on the Treherbert line was due on 29th December but from previous posts it looked as if the wires wouldn't all be up in time, particularly below Llwynypia. Does anyone have an update please with any revised date?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Energisation of the OHLE on the Treherbert line was due on 29th December but from previous posts it looked as if the wires wouldn't all be up in time, particularly below Llwynypia. Does anyone have an update please with any revised date?
I was back at my parents between Xmas and New Years and from what I could see there looked to be some unwired sections around both Tonypandy and Ton Pentre. But it sounds like they have made quick progress so I can imagine it will take too long!
Though saying that, looking at the video that was just posted it looks like Porth hasn't been finished yet either, so maybe more to do than I thought!
A Tweet today from South Wales Metro updates shows a 150 arriving at Treherbert. Driver training seems to have commenced.

Being pedantic but that is at Porth. You can see the new transport hub on the left of the initial view which has been built recently which is good to see!
Also - as I note above, doesn't quite look like the wiring has been finished there yet which is a bit of a shame!

Last edited:

Smwrff

Somebody on Twitter (@foxy_michael) posted this service map indicating the new service pattern that will begin in July 24 prior to the introduction of the full Metro changes, presumably in 2025. Makes things very clear IMHO.

Attachments

• 20240102_180316.jpg
    20240102_180316.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 262

Dr Day

Assuming this unofficial map is correct (which I've no reason to suppose it isn't) will be interesting to see how many people boarding southbound at stations between Pontypridd and Radyr out of habit jump on the first train that rocks up without looking at the departure board then realise too late they are going around the City Line (hence may have been better off waiting for a service going via Llandaff first), or find themselves at Cardiff Bay when they wanted Central.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Assuming this unofficial map is correct (which I've no reason to suppose it isn't) will be interesting to see how many people boarding southbound at stations between Pontypridd and Radyr out of habit jump on the first train that rocks up without looking at the departure board then realise too late they are going around the City Line (hence may have been better off waiting for a service going via Llandaff first), or find themselves at Cardiff Bay when they wanted Central.
I must admit I’ve been caught out with the peak Treherberts that used to divert via the City line, and that’s as an enthusiast, so I have a feeling there will be plenty of these mistakes!

AdamWW

Established Member
Will Coryton require any work for the new trains ?

I believe that TfW applied for planning permission for some kind of additional platform to align with the drivers cab at the Cardiff end of the station. Presumably this would be used in conjunction with a walkway to the existing platform. I'm sure there is a good reason that this is needed rather than the driver just walking through the train when it turns round.

positron

Somebody on Twitter (@foxy_michael) posted this service map indicating the new service pattern that will begin in July 24 prior to the introduction of the full Metro changes, presumably in 2025. Makes things very clear IMHO.
I don't think this is entirely correct it seems to suggest the aberdare to city line trains will loop when I believe they'll actually reverse at Cardiff Central.

leananger

I don't think this is entirely correct it seems to suggest the aberdare to city line trains will loop when I believe they'll actually reverse at Cardiff Central.

That would mean the Merthyr's reversing also. They might as well join up the route.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

That would mean the Merthyr's reversing also. They might as well join up the route.
Having them reverse might mean they can share a platform if they keep Merthyr/Treherbert turnarounds tight though, meaning the heavy rail and light rail vehicles on Metro can have separate tracks and platforms, presumably 6 for Northbound 756s towards Caerphilly, 7 (split into A and B) for 398 services and 8 for Southbound 756s towards the VoG.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Why is it branded 'Valley Lines' rather than 'South Wales Metro'?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What was the previous trains per hour on valley lines before all the works started?
Numbers are per hour

2 Merthyr Barry Island (1 goes to Bridgend southbound only)
2 Aberdare Barry Island (1 starts from Bridgend northbound only)
2 Treherbert Cardiff Ctrl
6 Cardiff Queen St Cardiff Bay
2 Coryton Radyr via Ninian Park
1 Rhymney Penarth
3 Bargoed Penarth (1 was truncated at Ystrad following COVID)

On Sundays

0.5 Merthyr Bridgend (returns to Aberdare)
0.5 Aberdare Barry Island (returns to Merthyr)
0.5 Treherbert Cardiff Ctrl
0.5 Rhymney Penarth
somewhere along the line they also introduced a Caerphilly Cardiff Ctrl

Smwrff

That diagram was apparently based on a TfW notice - it generated some discussion about the Circle line services. It was clear that Aberdare originating services would use City line and then return via Cathays - but then to Merthyr or Aberdare ??? And then not clear if Merhyr services would arrive via Cathays and then loop back via City line. It appears that only Treherbert services would terminate at Central.

I noticed the Valleys Line logo as well....10 years out of date....

Cambrian359

Numbers are per hour

2 Merthyr Barry Island (1 goes to Bridgend southbound only)
2 Aberdare Barry Island (1 starts from Bridgend northbound only)
2 Treherbert Cardiff Ctrl
2 Coryton Radyr via Ninian Park
1 Rhymney Penarth
3 Bargoed Penarth (1 was truncated at Ystrad following COVID)

On Sundays

0.5 Merthyr Bridgend (returns to Aberdare)
0.5 Aberdare Barry Island (returns to Merthyr)
0.5 Treherbert Cardiff Ctrl
0.5 Rhymney Penarth
somewhere along the line they also introduced a Caerphilly Cardiff Ctrl
Thank you, Sundays looked a bit scarce!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Thank you, Sundays looked a bit scarce!
They still are. Still every two hours if you want to pop down to Penarth, which is laughable. With a Metro you think of every two to three minutes. Many parts of the route on Sundays are still every one hundred and twenty minutes!

Envoy

Established Member
The map is very good - apart from not calling it South Wales Metro. (Places south of Cardiff are not “The Valleys”). It really does make things more confusing for most people by putting Welsh first in bold and English second in faint type.

I hope the map is correct in having the Aberdare & Merthyr services do a loop around Cardiff rather than terminate at Central. I say this as it keeps open the direct service from the City Line to Queen Street and now Cathays. It also provides a direct link between Llandaff (north) & Ninian Park, for example.

It is appalling that they plan to introduce an additional Caerphilly to Penarth service whilst leaving the Vale line between Barry and Bridgend with only one train per hour. It takes 1 hour 20 minutes to go by Adventure bus from Cardiff Airport to the city centre via some long convoluted route. The train & shuttle bus from Rhoose station to the terminal takes about 40 minutes. The train also has the advantage of providing the direct link with Bridgend and hence ease of access to the airport from west Wales. Perhaps the Welsh Government are not interested in saving Cardiff Airport as surely, if they were, they would have got TfW to give this route priority?

If they are continuing to provide weak services on Sundays - then that is appalling. I thought they had signed deals with the unions for Sundays to be part of the normal working rota in exchange for the excellent pay the staff are receiving?

AdamWW

Established Member
The map is very good - apart from not calling it South Wales Metro. (Places south of Cardiff are not “The Valleys”).

No but when "Valley Lines" existed with branding simliar to that logo it included services south of Cardiff (of course, since then as now they ran through from the Valleys).

On anothern note, I hope that when the Coryton and City Line services are separated that someone remembers that the current through service is used as a school service and that they provide a decent connection time between the 2 tph from Coryton and 2 tph on the City Line.

Previously when the service was severed and Coryton trains sent to the Bay, they made an exception and ran one service each way at the appropriate times through onto the City Line. I can't see that happening again, with differerent unit types being used on the two lines (and it was more necessary then as going between the two lines involved two changes).

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Places south of Cardiff are not “The Valleys”
Of course, the old franchise and ToC that was developed after privatisation was called "Valley Lines" even though it operated down to Barry etc too.
And the rest!
Yet still clearly on display on the bridge going into Queen Street over Newport Road! I actually quite like it still - maybe nostalgia from my childhood!

MikePJ

They still are. Still every two hours if you want to pop down to Penarth, which is laughable. With a Metro you think of every two to three minutes. Many parts of the route on Sundays are still every one hundred and twenty minutes!
According to the RMT they have been asked to work Sundays as a normal working day from May 2025, so I would not expect an uplift in Sunday service before then. At present RMT conductors work Sundays as voluntary overtime on double pay, which is why TfW only runs a limited service - they can't guarantee that enough conductors will volunteer to operate a better service, and it costs twice as much as usual.

Adding to this: here's the full proposal from TfW which the RMT executive recommended their members accept. It relates to: drivers opening vehicle doors to reduce dwell times; conductors use of tablet computers; Sunday working and a pay deal.

Attachments

• 1conductor-restructuring-proposal-paper-final.pdf
    387.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
According to the RMT they have been asked to work Sundays as a normal working day from May 2025, so I would not expect an uplift in Sunday service before then. At present RMT conductors work Sundays as voluntary overtime on double pay, which is why TfW only runs a limited service - they can't guarantee that enough conductors will volunteer to operate a better service, and it costs twice as much as usual.

Adding to this: here's the full proposal from TfW which the RMT executive recommended their members accept. It relates to: drivers opening vehicle doors to reduce dwell times; conductors use of tablet computers; Sunday working and a pay deal.
I can't speak for the other lines, but the Treherbert line has been 1tph on a Sunday for a while now (of course when trains are running rather than there being a blockade) so not sure what change meant that improvement was made possible!
Interesting to see New Years Day mentioned in that document considering that whole issue has come up in the media again this week!

Envoy

Established Member
It’s appalling that they are not increasing the Sunday services until May 2025. So much for signing a new contract with the unions! They really are dragging their feet on this.

Lurcheroo

The offer was accepted about a month ago now.
Drivers have also agreed to bring Sundays into the working week.
As you say Sundays not in the working week until May 2025 for conductors.
No set date for drivers.

It’s appalling that they are not increasing the Sunday services until May 2025. So much for signing a new contract with the unions! They really are dragging their feet on this.
It’s signed, lots and lots of work to be done regarding diagrams and working rosters that have to be agreed by both the unions and TFW.
Nothing happens quickly on the railway.
This just allows time to make sure everything is in place.

Envoy

Established Member
Lurcheroo - Yes, everything happens at a snails pace on the railway.

Randomer

It relates to: drivers opening vehicle doors to reduce dwell times; conductors use of tablet computers; Sunday working and a pay deal.

It reads much more like the driver will both open and close the doors.

Interesting that the drivers will actually be closing the doors, after a 1-2 on the buzzer, and also be required to check the platform train interface using the cameras before they do so. Also doesn't mention the guard actually having to check the PTI before boarding the train and giving the buzzer, just checking the signal.

At which point who is responsible for the safe dispatch of the train if anything goes wrong? It reads like it is to become the drivers responsibility.

Does anyone know if this is this closer to the method of working adopted for Greater Anglia?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Disgraceful. Until they eliminate every last bit of 1tp2h running from the timetables, they have no right to even think of calling themselves a Metro.