• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

JamesT

Established Member
Thanks for drawing this excellent blog to our attention. This article was an interesting read. Living in Cardiff, I was particularly struck by Figure 13 which graphically illustrates how poorly Cardiff is connected by rail to other major UK cities. It has no direct rail services to Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Leeds, or Newcastle. Mind you, if any such services were provided by Cross Country, they would likely be so expensive I would avoid them and their awful trains anyway! Perhaps there is scope for an Open Access operator to run a Cardiff to Edinburgh service via Sheffield, Leeds and Newcastle? Sorry about the thread drift.
The article also notes the probably optimal strategy is to have a 'grid' network with decent connections rather than an everywhere-to-everywhere. Wouldn't a better strategy to work on improving the service from Cardiff to Birmingham? Then you could get to any of those other cities with one change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
2t
The article also notes the probably optimal strategy is to have a 'grid' network with decent connections rather than an everywhere-to-everywhere. Wouldn't a better strategy to work on improving the service from Cardiff to Birmingham? Then you could get to any of those other cities with one change?
2tph crosscountry service to Birmingham calling at chepstow and lydney hourly with 1tph serving Bromsgrove instead of university.

Tfw could Run a 1tph or 2tph Cardiff to chepstow/Gloucesterservice.

Envoy

Established Member
Guys - I think you are going off topic here. OK, so the TfW stopping service to Cheltenham/Gloucester calling at Lydney and Chepstow can be regarded as part of the South Wales Metro but long distance services to Birmingham, Newcastle etc. are clearly off topic. If anyone wants to start a new topic about the lack* of Inter City long distance services serving south Wales (and Gloucester), then I suggest you start a new discussion.

This is in fact an excellent site for a new hospital because it will be right alongside the proposed Metro link from Coryton to Radyr which will complete a circle line around the City.

That’s not in the Metro proposal, it’s simply a suggestion at the moment (a sensible one in my view)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we discuss any suggestions / speculation in the relevant forum section please?

This thread is for infrastructure progress updates please.

Envoy

Established Member
Looks like the Transport Interchange at Waungron Park station (City Line) is going ahead - along with a block of Council flats.

Tomos y Tanc

Looks like the Transport Interchange at Waungron Park station (City Line) is going ahead - along with a block of Council flats.
I'm really not convinced by this plan particularly while the City Line remains at 2tph.

I forsee a lot of complaints from Ely / Caerau bus passengers about the increased journey times that will result. The bus services into the city centre are pretty slow as it is and this is bound to add another few minutes to journey times.

Envoy

Established Member
I'm really not convinced by this plan particularly while the City Line remains at 2tph.

I forsee a lot of complaints from Ely / Caerau bus passengers about the increased journey times that will result. The bus services into the city centre are pretty slow as it is and this is bound to add another few minutes to journey times.
I agree with you Tomos. People on buses coming down through Ely will not like having perhaps around 10 minutes added to their journey for the diversion into this so called ‘transport interchange’. Furthermore, when/if the new station is built at Ely Mill, they could transfer between rail and bus at that location which would not involve the diversion. It sounds good to have an interchange between the rail based Metro and the buses but I am of the view that this Waungron interchange is likely to be an expensive mistake. (Buses to/from Fairwater & St.Fagans already stop directly under Waungron Park station with the City Circle also on nearby Western Avenue). The City Line clearly needs more than 2 trains per hour.

anthony263

Established Member
I can't see the 17/18 serving the interchange just the following:

1/2 City circle
32A City Centre to St fagans museum
61 City centre to Pentewan
64 City Centre to Heath Hospital
124 Cardiff to Maerdy
320 Cardiff to Talbot Green

Envoy

Established Member
I can't see the 17/18 serving the interchange just the following:

1/2 City circle
32A City Centre to St fagans museum
61 City centre to Pentewan
64 City Centre to Heath Hospital
124 Cardiff to Maerdy
320 Cardiff to Talbot Green
Page 11 of the consultants report states:>

3.2.12The bus stops provided as part of phase 2 will accommodate a maximum of 21 buses in the AM peak and 19 in the PM peak. With the addition of bus routes 17 (12 buses) and 18 (12 buses) diverted via the interchange, there will be an additional 20-24 buses, increasing the total two- way operation to a maximum of approximately 40-45 buses per hour (one bus arriving approximately every 1.3 minutes). It should be noted that there is likely to be 25 buses travelling northbound (one bus approx. every 2.5 minutes) and 20 buses travelling southbound (one bus every 3 minutes). Assuming that each stop can accommodate 8-10 services per hour, the proposed provision of five bus stop bays will be sufficient.

HowardGWR

Established Member
" It should be noted that there is likely to be 25 buses travelling northbound"

I hope their planning expertise is better than their grammar.

Wuggie Norple

" It should be noted that there is likely to be 25 buses travelling northbound"

I hope their planning expertise is better than their grammar.
Proof reading not of the finest either:

"People feel relaxed – where streets are not dominated by motorised traffic and
pavements were not overcrowded, dirty, cluttered or in despair; and,"

Last edited:

Envoy

Established Member
Construction is to start on a transport hub at Porth.

Tomos y Tanc

Construction is to start on a transport hub at Porth.
Which maybe why Porth house prices have risen by 26% in the past year. There is already a definite Metro effect being seen in the housing market in south Wales.

https://propertyindustryeye.com/rev...where-house-prices-increased-fastest-in-2021/

anthony263

Established Member
Which maybe why Porth house prices have risen by 26% in the past year. There is already a definite Metro effect being seen in the housing market in south Wales.

https://propertyindustryeye.com/rev...where-house-prices-increased-fastest-in-2021/
Some of the agency bus drivers with us have been looking at buying houses up the valleys so they abd their families can move here out if london and we've noticed this when us Welsh drivers have been showing them good areas with lower house prices

Envoy

Established Member
I see that a new footbridge is being installed at Barry (town) station. Let us hope that the original station building at Barry Island has the railings removed and is brought back into use for the Metro. This should include a modern toilet facility - preferably beyond a ticket barrier - so for use by passengers only. Failure to do this could well result in people queuing to use the toilets on the trains - surely something that should be avoided? See my photos below of the dreadful state of this station and the modern windswept shelter.

Attachments

• BARRY ISLAND STA (1). - ZONED OFF.jpeg
    BARRY ISLAND STA (1). - ZONED OFF.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 95
  • BARRY ISLAND STA. PLATFORMS FROM BRIDGE.jpeg
    BARRY ISLAND STA. PLATFORMS FROM BRIDGE.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 94
  • BARRY ISLAND STATION - SHELTER.jpeg
    BARRY ISLAND STATION - SHELTER.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Western 52

It's years since I've been to Barry Island so shocking to see it so run down. I remember it busy with excursions years ago, with 3 platforms in use. I guess though that the current minimal facilities are deemed sufficient for today's usage.

Envoy

Established Member
It's years since I've been to Barry Island so shocking to see it so run down. I remember it busy with excursions years ago, with 3 platforms in use. I guess though that the current minimal facilities are deemed sufficient for today's usage.
When the weather is fine in summer, hoards of people descend on Barry island and the trains are packed - complete with prams. It is the nearest sandy beach for a large population and Porthcawl is more awkward to reach by public transport as well as being further from Cardiff, Newport etc. The station is a disgrace & the site that ‘greets' people as they walk from station to beach is not good - to say the least.

If I had my way I would clear the land and plant a forest that people could walk through to the beach. On the western side, I would demolish all the tat and build a harbour type town taking architectural style from Tenby. Retail at ground level and living above.

Photo 1 (in order below) shows Barry Island station main building - sealed out of use. 2 shows an old toilet block by the beach which has been derelict for years. 3 shows a busy day at Barry Island beach - note the vegetation in the distance - something that could be replicated for a walk from the station to the beach. 4 shows the view from that ‘forest’ out over the channel - who would think this is Barry Island? 5 is a street in Tenby.

Attachments

• BARRY ISLAND STATION FROM ACROSS ROAD.jpeg
    BARRY ISLAND STATION FROM ACROSS ROAD.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 63
  • TOILET BLOCK BARRY ISLAND FROM ROUNDABOUT.jpeg
    TOILET BLOCK BARRY ISLAND FROM ROUNDABOUT.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 9  BARRY ISLAND w.jpeg
    9 BARRY ISLAND w.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 10b STEEP HOLM FROM BARRY ISLAND.jpeg
    10b STEEP HOLM FROM BARRY ISLAND.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 13b TENBY - ST.JULIAN'S STREET.JULIAN STREET.jpeg
    13b TENBY - ST.JULIAN'S STREET.JULIAN STREET.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Dai Corner

Established Member
When the weather is fine in summer, hoards of people descend on Barry island and the trains are packed - complete with prams. It is the nearest sandy beach for a large population and Porthcawl is more awkward to reach by public transport as well as being further from Cardiff, Newport etc. The station is a disgrace & the site that ‘greets' people as they walk from station to beach is not good - to say the least.

If I had my way I would clear the land and plant a forest that people could walk through to the beach. On the western side, I would demolish all the tat and build a harbour type town taking architectural style from Tenby. Retail at ground level and living above.

Photo 1 shows Barry Island station main building - sealed out of use. 2 shows an old toilet block by the beach which has been derelict for years. 3 shows a busy day at Barry Island beach - note the vegetation in the distance - something that could be replicated for a walk from the station to the beach. 4 shows the view from that ‘forest’ out over the channel - who would think this is Barry Island? 5 is a street in Tenby.
Doesn't Penarth cater for those wanting a more genteel seaside experience?

Envoy

Established Member
Doesn't Penarth cater for those wanting a more genteel seaside experience?
It may well do but the beach is nothing but stones with mud at low tide. Barry Island could be so much better. The Vale of Glamorgan Council lack any vision.

WesternBiker

I see that a new footbridge is being installed at Barry (town) station. Let us hope that the original station building at Barry Island has the railings removed and is brought back into use for the Metro. This should include a modern toilet facility - preferably beyond a ticket barrier - so for use by passengers only. Failure to do this could well result in people queuing to use the toilets on the trains - surely something that should be avoided? See my photos below of the dreadful state of this station and the modern windswept shelter.
It is really depressing, but I am not aware of any plans to improve facilities that under the current proposals.

The main building has been used as a museum about Barry’s wartime experience for a number of years, but it is only open on a restricted basis (as it is volunteer run). But the rest of the site looks semi-derelict.

The island is enjoying an increasing number of visitors from outside south Wales because of Gavin & Stacey. You could even go on a tour of the location is used in filming.

I am off to Barry (town) next week – so I’ll take a look at the new footbridge then. The last time I used the station, the temporary footbridge was a slightly unnerving experience as the whole structure rattled as people walked over it.

Envoy

Established Member
I see that developers have put forward plans - yet again - to build on land between Cardiff Airport and the VOG Coast Railway. If that land gets built upon, it blows the chance of having a direct rail link into the airport in the future. Such a Metro rail link into Cardiff Airport would be a huge plus. Goodness knows why a business park can’t go on all the derelict land in Barry docks which would also be on the Metro?

"The Vale council’s planning committee will soon reconsider the application, and vote whether to again grant permission, but it’s unclear when exactly this will be. It’s understood that the Welsh Government could call-in the decision and have the final say".

Photos >
1 = Possible route of rail link from VOG Coast line into Cardiff Airport - crosses land of proposed business park.
2 = Derelict land in Barry docks.

Attachments

• AIRPORT RAIL LINK close red line.jpeg
    AIRPORT RAIL LINK close red line.jpeg
    382.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DERELICT LAND AT BARRY DOCKS.jpeg
    DERELICT LAND AT BARRY DOCKS.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Cardiff123

Established Member
Network Rail don't even own the old station building anymore. It's passed between various voluntary organisations over the years, I've got a feeling VoG council might even own it now but I'm not sure. If VoG council do own the old station building then it'll be easier to bring it back into railway use, but if it's still privately owned then it's unlikely.
Network Rail (who own the operational part of Barry Island station) won't be interested in buying the old station building, it would have to be bought by VoG council, Welsh Govt or TfW with a view to convert it back to public use for the railway.

The problem for Barry Island station in justifying investment, is that it only sees any major footfall during school holidays at Easter, late May half term, the summer holidays and possibly late October half term. Even during those times, footfall is dependent on the weather. The rest of the year the station is dead quiet.
So given the times we live in, and the fact that during this phase of the Metro the focus for investment is the Valleys, it's difficult to see a realistic case for investment in Barry Island station, as much as I agree the station needs major investment.

Last edited:

Tomos y Tanc

The problem for Barry Island station in justifying investment, is that it only sees any major footfall during school holidays at Easter, late May half term, the summer holidays and possibly late October half term. Even during those times, footfall is dependent on the weather. The rest of the year the station is dead quiet.
So given the times we live in, and the fact that during this phase of the Metro the focus for investment is the Valleys, it's difficult to see a realistic case for investment in Barry Island station, as much as I agree the station needs major investment.
While all of that is true, Barry Island is still one of the ten busiest stations in Wales with higher passenger numbers than Barry itself or Penarth, both of which have far better passenger facilities.

Merthyr Imp

Is the Barry Tourist Railway no longer functioning? I thought the station building was used by them, but I haven't been there for about ten years or more when it was still the Vale of Glamorgan Railway running that line.

Envoy

Established Member
So, we are not sure who owns the station building at Barry Island. As ‘Tomos’ says, it is one of the ten busiest stations in Wales and surely deserves better than to be left to fall into dereliction? I have been watching Portillo at 6.30pm on weekdays (BBC 2) with his new series. This week he has been going up the far north line and I have seen some little used stations which are all nicely painted and not left to ‘rot’. See my photo below of the roof trusses under the canopy at Barry Island left to rust away. It is Victorian heritage that we are losing here.

This is surely the most popular seaside rail station in south Wales yet the image it presents is dreadful. Cardiff123 above mentions emphasis being placed on the valleys and I get that but the fact is that many of the people from these valley stations do descend from time to time onto Barry Island - along with people from Cardiff, Newport and further afield. Even international visitors now go to Barry Island thanks to Gavin & Stacey. That station building needs restoring and being brought back into public use for the Metro.

PS. If the Vale of Glamorgan Council own it, they could use it has a Tourist Information Centre and perhaps sell train tickets at the same time.

Attachments

• BARRY ISLAND STA. ROOF TRUSSES.jpeg
    BARRY ISLAND STA. ROOF TRUSSES.jpeg
    288 KB · Views: 21

Dai Corner

Established Member
So, we are not sure who owns the station building at Barry Island. As ‘Tomos’ says, it is one of the ten busiest stations in Wales and surely deserves better than to be left to fall into dereliction? I have been watching Portillo at 6.30pm on weekdays (BBC 2) with his new series. This week he has been going up the far north line and I have seen some little used stations which are all nicely painted and not left to ‘rot’. See my photo below of the roof trusses under the canopy at Barry Island left to rust away. It is Victorian heritage that we are losing here.

This is surely the most popular seaside rail station in south Wales yet the image it presents is dreadful. Cardiff123 above mentions emphasis being placed on the valleys and I get that but the fact is that many of the people from these valley stations do descend from time to time onto Barry Island - along with people from Cardiff, Newport and further afield. Even international visitors now go to Barry Island thanks to Gavin & Stacey. That station building needs restoring and being brought back into public use for the Metro.

PS. If the Vale of Glamorgan Council own it, they could use it has a Tourist Information Centre and perhaps sell train tickets at the same time.
Perhaps it needs a 'Friends of Barry Island Station' volunteer organisation to look after it if TfW, Barry Tourist Railway and Vale of Glamorgan Council aren't interested or don't have the money? At least it doesn't appear to put off summer visitors, judging by the numbers and queues to get on the trains.

Incidentally, I did a virtual walk from the station to the beach on Google Streetview. Turning right out of the station visitors walk down wide pavements past the funfair on one side and cafes, gift shops, takeaways and amusement arcades before reaching a grassed and pathed area leading to the beach. There is a modern-looking toilet block adjacent. Everything you'd expect in a traditional seaside town. I think the Council and local businesses have done a good job.

Tomos y Tanc

Is the Barry Tourist Railway no longer functioning? I thought the station building was used by them, but I haven't been there for about ten years or more when it was still the Vale of Glamorgan Railway running that line.
Barry Tourist Railway still exists but seems to have fallen into a very deep slumber deriving most of its income from stabling and testing rolling stock.

How much of that is down to the pandemic, I'm not sure, but it's very different set-up from the usual enthusiast-led heritage railway. BTR is owned by a commercial company called Cambrian Transport which, despite the name, is based in Gloucestershire. They seem to be quite a large outfit but it's an odd fit for a heritage operation.

As for the old station buildings, it seems that they are now the property of VoG council according to this story from 2020.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/barry-island-railway-station-converted-19256956

Envoy

Established Member
Perhaps it needs a 'Friends of Barry Island Station' volunteer organisation to look after it if TfW, Barry Tourist Railway and Vale of Glamorgan Council aren't interested or don't have the money? At least it doesn't appear to put off summer visitors, judging by the numbers and queues to get on the trains.

Incidentally, I did a virtual walk from the station to the beach on Google Streetview. Turning right out of the station visitors walk down wide pavements past the funfair on one side and cafes, gift shops, takeaways and amusement arcades before reaching a grassed and pathed area leading to the beach. There is a modern-looking toilet block adjacent. Everything you'd expect in a traditional seaside town. I think the Council and local businesses have done a good job.
I don't see why people should volunteer to sort out Barry Island station when the Welsh Government, Network Rail & VOG Council have plenty of money. That corroding metal work on the canopy needs grit blasting to get rid of the rust - something beyond the capabilities of most volunteers. I found the Cambrian Transport website and it appears that they do heavy engineering. A pity they could not be bothered to do anything to save the Victorian ironwork at Barry Island station.

Not sure about the VOG Council trying to rent out the building. Restore & get it back into railway use first I say and then decide if part can be rented out for a cafe etc. This seaside terminus forms a very important destination in the Metro network.

woolos

The cadw grade 2 footbridge at Llanbradach Station was damage on Sunday by a road rail vehicle