• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Leta not fall into the trap of looking into the future
And at the same time lets not make perfection the enemy of progress.
Given what has occurred since the scheme was kicked off (especially the current Westminster government's attitude to rail), I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I think the resulting 4tph north of Pontypridd and 12tph south of there is a huge win for the area.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
And at the same time lets not make perfection the enemy of progress.
Given what has occurred since the scheme was kicked off (especially the current Westminster government's attitude to rail), I can't speak for everyone obviously, but I think the resulting 4tph north of Pontypridd and 12tph south of there is a huge win for the area.

Regarding the bit in bold, is it intended for each of the Treherbert, Aberdare (or Hirwaun), and Merthyr Tydfil to be doubled in frequency from every 30 minutes to every 15 minutes (total 12tph south of Pontypridd)?

Looking at the maths and how it is phrased, 4 divided by the 3 arms does not go.

rftorf

Regarding the bit in bold, is it intended for each of the Treherbert, Aberdare (or Hirwaun), and Merthyr Tydfil to be doubled in frequency from every 30 minutes to every 15 minutes (total 12tph south of Pontypridd)?

Looking at the maths and how it is phrased, 4 divided by the 3 arms does not go.
It's 4tph to each of the 3 valleys North of Pontypridd, hence the 12tph South (4tph x3 Valleys).

Markdvdman

Well the Metro works continue the weekend through to Wednesday Merthyr/Aberdare to Pontypridd and hence bus replacements. I am NOT happy! Aberdare has a 5:30am and 6am bus leaving yet Merthyrs first bus is 6:15am. It effectively means they have cancelled the first service as the first train you can get is the 7:08am from Pontypridd instead of 6:38am. On Twitter Joe said they are allocated on perceived passenger numbers. What a crock! that will mean I am late for work 30 mins every day - what did they say to that? email a complain - and they know full well that can take 20 days to resolve! It is shocking how they are treating commuters!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Well the Metro works continue the weekend through to Wednesday Merthyr/Aberdare to Pontypridd and hence bus replacements. I am NOT happy! Aberdare has a 5:30am and 6am bus leaving yet Merthyrs first bus is 6:15am. It effectively means they have cancelled the first service as the first train you can get is the 7:08am from Pontypridd instead of 6:38am. On Twitter Joe said they are allocated on perceived passenger numbers. What a crock! that will mean I am late for work 30 mins every day - what did they say to that? email a complain - and they know full well that can take 20 days to resolve! It is shocking how they are treating commuters!
The first T4 bus leaves Merthyr bus station at 6.18 and should get you to Greyfriars Road at 7.15. Any good?

Markdvdman

I know that but I am paying for a weekly rail ticket. Why should I pay extra for the T4? Would still be late anyway as Greyfriars is not 2 mins from Cardiff Central as need to get to Cadoxton.

Signal_Box

I know that but I am paying for a weekly rail ticket. Why should I pay extra for the T4? Would still be late anyway as Greyfriars is not 2 mins from Cardiff Central as need to get to Cadoxton.

That’s the beauty of integrated transport, you pay for it whether you use it or not.

Markdvdman

I have to agree with that. No integration apart from a poorly implemented plus bus. However, I am hoping with the new Cardiff Bus Station, that the Metro WILL instigate PROPER integration......

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This all looks rather fab!
That's because you're not living on the route! :lol: Hell on earth getting a train back from work Sunday - Thursday. I'm delighted the line is getting built but with the typical delays, I'll have likely left Cardiff when the 398s are up and down in use, so three years of nightmarish 6pm close of service and either a very spartan replacement bus or absolutely nothing provided will have been for no personal benefit at all, for me.

bradleyd

South Wales, but from the flat Southlands of lincs
That's because you're not living on the route! :lol: Hell on earth getting a train back from work Sunday - Thursday. I'm delighted the line is getting built but with the typical delays, I'll have likely left Cardiff when the 398s are up and down in use, so three years of nightmarish 6pm close of service and either a very spartan replacement bus or absolutely nothing provided will have been for no personal benefit at all, for me.
6pm close of service? I regularly get the train from queen Street up Pontypridd way up to 8:15pm, it's 8:30 the RRBs start from

Avowedsevern

This all looks rather fab!

It’s not. It would’ve been fab had these upgrades been delivered a decade ago or more, but it’s all substandard for what’s available today, not to mention the immense cost cutting by TfW.

I’d like to be proven wrong, but I think they’ll live to regret going the 398 route in particular.

So much negativity about the Metro on here. Granted there are issues, especially with timescales, but a glass half full outlook would be good. It's a big improvement overall from the status quo.

I think any negativity should be reserved for the zero increase in services on the City and Coryton lines!

Last edited:

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Regardless of what we think of the scheme can I ask that posts are confined to providing South Wales 'Metro' updates

thanks

Tumbleweed

Masts now popping up at Trehafod. Drainage works are taking place at the station for 3 months from the 26th August.

Snow1964

Established Member

Seems the question of Safety of TfW replacement buses is under scrutiny as people have been told to sit on floor, or you will be left behind.

Last Hurrah

NR finally addressing overgrown vegetation problem in Cardiff

Letter to neighbours 4/8 advising day time works along with some weekends from 21/8 to 21/12

Stretching from Bute St overbridge through Cardiff West, to Bwlch Rd in Western suburbs, anything 4 metres from outer rail to the railway boundary, will be having a “short, back & sides” . .

Brissle Girl

Established Member
NR finally addressing overgrown vegetation problem in Cardiff

Letter to neighbours 4/8 advising day time works along with some weekends from 21/8 to 21/12

Stretching from Bute St overbridge through Cardiff West, to Bwlch Rd in Western suburbs, anything 4 metres from outer rail to the railway boundary, will be having a “short, back & sides” . .
I don't think this has any relevance to the SW Metro though does it? Just routine (if maybe overdue) trackside weeding(!) on the GWML through the city.

I don't think this has any relevance to the SW Metro though does it? Just routine (if maybe overdue) trackside weeding(!) on the GWML through the city.
Quite, I think the TfW rewilding project continues. It does look nicer to be fair, but unsure if it's operationally ideal?

anthony263

Established Member
Just noticed now while I was driving the bus empty to aberdare bus station as I drove over the railway bridge st Cwmbach theyve put the wires up here too. Not sure if they've got to aberdare yet but looks different to what it did last sunday xxxx

MikePJ

I had a ride on the Bay branch today, and saw a fair amount of construction activity. In particular, there was a large lorry unloading very large pre-cast concrete slabs which looked like they might be for the top of the new platform. Unfortunately at that moment the conductor came to check my ticket (which was on my phone) so I couldn't get a picture. There's also been a lot of ground clearance around the new Butetown station, and also beyond the end of the new platform at Cardiff bay - the former footpath from Lloyd George Avenue has been completely obliterated, presumably to make space for the future on-street connection.

In other news (this post is going to get auto-merged into the one above...) TfW have issued their draft Network Statement for consultation - please see attached. Of particular interest is section 2.6 on page 29, which I will quote here:

Infrastructure Development

The ongoing programme of TfW sponsored work identified to transform the CVL Network continues, improving capacity and running times on the Core Valley Lines. The programme is planned to be complete by the end of 2024 and includes the following key elements:

• electrification of significant sections of the CVL Network is ongoing
with energisations Commenced May 2023
• recontrol of signalling systems from Wales ROC to the control centre
at Taff’s Well planned to take place during 2025
• line-speed improvements with enabling works including additional
double track sections / increased length passing loops – continued
introduction through to November 2025
• New Rolling stock being tested progressively through from Mid 2023
to late 2024 ahead of new timetable introduction from 2025
• The Electrification of Cardiff Bay Line and the introduction of Class
398 Units. and he reclassification of the Cardiff Bay Line from Mainline
to Non-Mainline railway, with Line of Sight Running (applicable
consultation to take place)

Attachments

• CVL NETWORK STATEMENT 2025 issue 0.1 - Draft for Consultation.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Markdvdman

So this suggests that the Metro will not go live properly until 2025. Hm, when they promised 2023 - the covid excuse was always going to be a reason, but ultimately, mismanagement, and the promise of NO closures outside of night work was a lie. The bus replacement fiasco has been hell and it was no fun using them, and half the time a minibus, or people left behind, or not turning up.

What gets me is the delays now, they rarely apologise at all for the current trains. 10 mins late, no problem, yet that could be the difference in a missed connection! I know it is a consultation, but that will be there or thereabouts!

Those are some very long timelines, not great really and if these are accurate then TfW have been avoiding telling the truth to the public.

I can't really see how some of the work will go into 2025, especially introduction of the 398s and the Treherbert line works.

I guess time will tell.

MikePJ

Those are some very long timelines, not great really and if these are accurate then TfW have been avoiding telling the truth to the public.

I can't really see how some of the work will go into 2025, especially introduction of the 398s and the Treherbert line works.

I guess time will tell.
The significant thing is the delay of the signalling recontrol to 2025, and the note fact that the linespeed works are being talked about as completing in November 2025 (presumably in time for the Dec 2025 timetable change). All that being said, I would not be surprised if the Treherbert/Aberdare/Merthyr lines get prioritised for completion sooner to help reduce the political blowback, with the Rhymney line dragging on to the end of 2025.

56xx

A few inaccuracies in the consultation document regarding existing and proposed infrastructure.
Merthyr Vale is shown as single platform whereas the formerly disused down platform was brought back into use about 20 years ago. Quaker's Yard is now up and down platforms with the new up platform and the extended down platform almost ready for use once any conditions can be resolved on the planning application. Also no mention of the second platform at Rhymney which will enable 15 minute service intervals.
There may be more that I haven't picked up.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Interesting post on Facebook from one of the local councilors basically saying that there have been rumours of delays on the timescales for the works on the Treherbert line and that TfW have given a response which is fairly strongly worded stating the works for the Treherbert line are on time and the plan is for the new signaling to be in place from December to allow for driver training before the line is reopened.

The following is from Scott Emanuel who is the Labour counciller for Treherbert - https://www.facebook.com/Treherbert...NoyzpNyMBPrX7FYwuVcFZ6XkpPd38mpTNZM2QRGvcp5il

We have been made aware of rumours being circulated about the metro works on the Treherbert line taking longer than expected.
We agree that this would be totally unnaceptable if true, as the people of Treherbert have waited patiently for this work to be completed.
We have contacted Transport for Wales on behalf of residents asking for an update on the situation.
Please see the response that has been sent to us below.
“I am aware that there are a lot of rumours regarding a delay to the transformation work of the Treherbert line. I wish to assure you that the works to the Treherbert line are currently on programme and on schedule. There is a great deal of work to be delivered with significant Overhead Line, Civil Engineering, Stations, and Track works taking place. I can also confirm that the commissioning of the new signalling system will take place during December, following which the track can be brought back into use for driver training ahead of the re-opening.
Regarding rail replacement bus drivers spreading incorrect information, I would like to apologise. I have asked the team to urgently re-brief drivers on the latest progress and to remind them to direct any enquiries on the works to TfW as the official source of information on the project.
I know that social media can be a wonderful tool to share information and reach people instantly, but it can also be misused to spread information that is not based on facts. I would like to assure you that when updates on progress are available, that we will share these at the earliest opportunity via our official channels. We know the disruptive nature of the work is leading to increased speculation and rumours but, whilst we appreciate there is a great deal of interest in the work, we advise people to refer to our official communications for information rather than resorting to sharing speculation.
Our official channels are:
www. tfw.wales/Treherbert
www. tfw.wales/news
We are mindful of the need for our communications to be honest, useful and engaging so – to that end – we do not share all our live project updates. However, we are committed to sharing updates where they will have an impact upon our customers, lineside neighbours and communities, or where there is a major update which is pertinent to the overall project delivery.
Yours sincerely
James Price
Chief Executive”
My somewhat cynical take is that people wouldn't resort to speculation if TfW themselves were more forthcoming with updates and if those updates were actually accurate!

I’m guessing it would be too much to ask that the driver training mentioned is for the 398s and that the Treherbet line gets them (with a 2ph frequency) from the day the line reopens?

My worry is if the local residents turn up on day 1 after the closure they see virtually no change and ask “what the heck have you been doing for 9 months”

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Interesting post on Facebook from one of the local councilors basically saying that there have been rumours of delays on the timescales for the works on the Treherbert line and that TfW have given a response which is fairly strongly worded stating the works for the Treherbert line are on time and the plan is for the new signaling to be in place from December to allow for driver training before the line is reopened.

The following is from Scott Emanuel who is the Labour counciller for Treherbert - https://www.facebook.com/Treherbert...NoyzpNyMBPrX7FYwuVcFZ6XkpPd38mpTNZM2QRGvcp5il

My somewhat cynical take is that people wouldn't resort to speculation if TfW themselves were more forthcoming with updates and if those updates were actually accurate!
My bold. This is my experience. When there is a lack of information then all the speculation and rumours start to sate peoples hunger for information. There end up being so many rumours that some of them are bound to come true (probability and educated guesses). People remember the rumours that came true and so this undermines the official channel. Got that in one job I had where more and more time was being spent by people guessing and speculating and hey presto some of it was correct.