• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

AdamWW

Established Member
Working in that area of Cardiff at the time, the impression I had was that the plan was to remove the embankment and bring the railway down to street level, not to get rid of it altogether. However the developers of the posh, expensive new flats on the eastern side rather liked the idea of a physical barrier between them and Butetown itself, so the embankment was kept. Can't have ordinary folk just wandering across to our shiny new developments, can we?

I certainly read that there were plans to abandon the railway line to free up land for development on the grounds that it wasn't needed because everyone could catch the number 6 bus instead.

Whether that was actually true or a misunderstanding is another story of course...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bob Price

There was a story doing the rounds that they were planning to use Pacers with side plates to cover the wheels and engines. They reckoned they could run these at street level.

Signal_Box

756 test running tonight Radyr to Pontypridd throughout the early hours, as a stop gap until the trams arrive.
756108 doing the testing battery and overhead propulsion.

Last edited:

positron

Spotted yesterday morning at Penrhiwceiber station.
View attachment 143410
Interesting that it says Treforest Station when there's no wires from there to Ponty? Do they just not acknowledge the gaps when it comes to the sections they consider live?

Pretty big milestone to get to. Merthyr branch is complete, aberdare branch is mostly (wonder why it's not energised north of Cwmbach yet?), so now it's just Treherbert, Rhymney (+ coryton) and the Bay branches left.

Tom125

Interesting that it says Treforest Station when there's no wires from there to Ponty? Do they just not acknowledge the gaps when it comes to the sections they consider live?

Pretty big milestone to get to. Merthyr branch is complete, aberdare branch is mostly (wonder why it's not energised north of Cwmbach yet?), so now it's just Treherbert, Rhymney (+ coryton) and the Bay branches left.
No wires up in Aberdare yet or there certainly wasn’t Sunday.

positron

No wires up in Aberdare yet or there certainly wasn’t Sunday.
Well that would certainly explain it . Guess they must be keen to get something running under the wires sooner rather than later even if it's not all ready.

Does anyone know the go live date for the Rhonda wires?

Well that would certainly explain it . Guess they must be keen to get something running under the wires sooner rather than later even if it's not all ready.

Does anyone know the go live date for the Rhonda wires?
Back in July the date given for the Treherbert line was December 29 and I haven't heard of any change.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
A quick google comes up with late Jan/early Feb as the expected timeline for reopening of the line. Whether the line will be electrified at that point is of course a different question.

A quick google comes up with late Jan/early Feb as the expected timeline for reopening of the line. Whether the line will be electrified at that point is of course a different question.
I haven't seen any earlier expected reopening date than Feb. It is of course a good idea to switch the juice on as soon as the wires are ready to ensure that they stay there!

Tumbleweed

I noticed today that the re-doubling of the line has started northwards from Porth to Dines Rhondda.

Markdvdman

It is diabolical introducing in November 2024 - something like 18 months late. The cynic in me tends to think the promise of lower lies fares is a big fat lie! How they can justify waiting so long is unreal!

positron

Presumably they'll have the 756s out asap, keep the 231s on Rhymney, and someone else (Cheltenham?) will lose out and get the 150s? Assuming the 170s and 175s will be gone too soon.

AdamWW

Established Member
Presumably they'll have the 756s out asap, keep the 231s on Rhymney, and someone else (Cheltenham?) will lose out and get the 150s? Assuming the 170s and 175s will be gone too soon.

It's been suggested that the 231s will move to their intended route and the Rhymney Line will be downgraded back to 150s.

I don't know if that's true and I can't see it going down very well.

They haven't publicised the 231s being a stopgap but a change to 756s wouldn't be very noticable. A change back to 150s certainly would. From what I've heard from non enthusiasts the 231s are quite popular.

positron

Even just from an accessibility point of view I can't see how they'd get away with yanking level boarding away for the better part of a year. I really think they'd be better leaving the 231s there and putting the 150s on the periphery as horrible as that is for those routes.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Of course when the Treherbert services start again:
  1. They will need more units to operate those services than right now (as, at least when I have been travelling back home, they have totally pulled those services and aren't even running them as a Cardiff - Pontypridd shuttle). Granted I don't think it is a huge number but given how stretched they are!
  2. There will be huge pressure for something to be immediately better than what it previously was given how long the line will have been closed for. The same 150's running as before at the same frequency and timings as before may not be enough whilst they wait to introduce the 398's.

positron

Doesn't Treherbert have some particularly tight radii that mean only 150s or 398s can run? Will the 756s actually fit?

First document - "Consultation Document CVL G1 Network Change Proposal CVLNCCP01-G1-03-V1 for the Transformation Programme 19 06 2023"

Some key quotes (emphasis mine):
  • The energisation of the OLE system Commissioning from Pontypridd to Aberdare has now changed from 24 June 2023 to 07 October 2023
  • The energisation of the OLE system Commissioning from Abercynon to Merthyr Tydfil has now from 11 August 2023 to 07 October 2023
Coming up on that 7th October date any updates on if the Cwmbach to Aberdare section is finished yet?

Last edited:

Hwnt52

Three pics from the Rhondda line today:
1. Treherbert with the new platform and new track in place. The station building is right centre.
2. Dinas looking towards Porth with the new track in place.
3. Dinas looking towards Tonypandy showing the end of the redoubling.PA035934B Treherbert.jpgPA035940B Dinas.jpgPA035941B Dinas.jpg

positron

I'm struggling to visualise what that track layout looks like at Treherbert? Looks to me like the platform is going to be incredibly thin?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004-013754.png
    Screenshot_20231004-013754.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 79

MikePJ

A couple more updates:

- on the Cardiff Bay branch, I cycled past the Butetown station compound and could see newly-finished concrete foundations, which explains a lot of the earthworks that have been going on there in the last couple of months
- in Penarth, a tracked digger has appeared in the cutting just north of the station - presumably to start on ground clearance. IMG_0169.jpg

Anonymous10

Established Member
It's been suggested that the 231s will move to their intended route and the Rhymney Line will be downgraded back to 150s.

I don't know if that's true and I can't see it going down very well.

They haven't publicised the 231s being a stopgap but a change to 756s wouldn't be very noticable. A change back to 150s certainly would. From what I've heard from non enthusiasts the 231s are quite popular.
Indeed they are with the locals, my grandfather an ex member of br staff loves them for being silent and smooth. Likewise most my family have commented on them.

There seem to be plenty of overnight closures on the Rhymney line now. Anyone know how work is progressing? Thanks.

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems Planning permission has been given for temporary compound to help the building of Cardiff Bay and Butetown

The report said a further application for prior approval was necessary to consider the use of this neighbouring land on a temporary basis to facilitate construction.

The temporary use of the land would include laydown, car parking, modular cabins and welfare buildings as well as vehicle manoeuvring, general construction areas and internal haul road (outwith Lloyd George Avenue).

Cardiff Council has granted prior approval subject to conditions under delegated powers.