• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

AdamWW

Established Member
I sympathise with that, but a notice to inform us wouldn’t go a-miss. And take down the signs that say “All services will use brand new trains by 2023” !

I agree completely. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the TfW way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick Ashwell

Why has Aberdare gone down to hourly off peak??
This has left Pontypridd - Cardiff with 3tph down from 6tph during certain times of the day. I now face half hour waits at Cathays and Llandaf to get into Cardiff, which used to have a consistent every ten minutes operation and, had TfW got their act together and met deadlines, was supposed to be even more frequent than that by now.
Half hour waits seems like an ah diddums moment. Two cancelled trains leaving a three hour wait on the South Wales Mainline seems like a more pressing issue

AdamWW

Established Member
Half hour waits seems like an ah diddums moment. Two cancelled trains leaving a three hour wait on the South Wales Mainline seems like a more pressing issue

A half hour gap in trains for a journey of a few minutes which used to have 6 trains an hour sounds like something of a backwards step to me.

Krokodil

Established Member
A half hour gap in trains for a journey of a few minutes which used to have 6 trains an hour sounds like something of a backwards step to me.
It's still a minor inconvenience compared to a three hour wait. Not to mention that two lines in the north have been bustituted entirely for the duration.

Nick Ashwell

It's still a minor inconvenience compared to a three hour wait. Not to mention that two lines in the north have been bustituted entirely for the duration.
Yep, to me as someone who walks about the same distance as Cathays to Queen street everyday to get from their commuting station to work is seems like the most first world problem, especially as that's my only option as a disabled person

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m confused; it isn’t a competition. :lol: There may be worse circumstances than those on other lines (rolling stock firmly excluded), but that doesn’t take away my right to be annoyed about a substantial reduction in service on my line too.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Why has Aberdare gone down to hourly off peak??
This has left Pontypridd - Cardiff with 3tph down from 6tph during certain times of the day. I now face half hour waits at Cathays and Llandaf to get into Cardiff, which used to have a consistent every ten minutes operation and, had TfW got their act together and met deadlines, was supposed to be even more frequent than that by now.
There has always been a break in the half hourly service with one train omitted in each direction, as a throwback to when the line to Hirwaun was in operation, to allow for a freight path. Looking at today’s timetable, that appears to be the only gap in the scheduled timetable, so I dont think it’s new.

Krokodil

Established Member
The Treherbert line also used to have three south trains in the afternoon that went non-stop via the City Line in order to free up paths through Queen Street for coal trains from Cwmbargoed. Not sure if that's still the case.

positron

The Treherbert line also used to have three south trains in the afternoon that went non-stop via the City Line in order to free up paths through Queen Street for coal trains from Cwmbargoed. Not sure if that's still the case.
I believe that the coal trains have all stopped now. It'll be interesting to see what plans are put in place for the line. Feels a waste to just close it, but maintaining a freight line with no freight would be a waste.

Tom125

There has always been a break in the half hourly service with one train omitted in each direction, as a throwback to when the line to Hirwaun was in operation, to allow for a freight path. Looking at today’s timetable, that appears to be the only gap in the scheduled timetable, so I dont think it’s new.
You’re correct about the service gaps for Tower Colliery coal trains but I’m sure the service gaps were plugged south of Abercynon by trains terminating at Pontypridd running empty to Stormstown loop before running Abercynon to Cardiff in passenger service with the coal train occupying the Cynon valley line following it down.

According to the timetable booklets (printed) those gaps have been eliminated so in this case I’m guessing it’s a short notice change to the timetable. I remember a few years back- I think before covid there were posters up in Mountain Ash announcing an additional evening train on the branch to plug the service gap from Cardiff in the early evening. If memory serves me the evening service gap for the coal train was 7pm ish!

It’s amazing to think in a few short years just how the valleys have changed… how far off electric passenger trains are we on Aberdare/ Merthyr?

Update!…Found an old pic on my phone from September 2016 at 1912! Must have been walking it dog!!

Attachments

• 2437F4F2-3E2B-404B-AD63-999161268F9F.jpeg
    2437F4F2-3E2B-404B-AD63-999161268F9F.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 114

positron

how far off electric passenger trains are we on Aberdare/ Merthyr?
There's a consultation happening right now for introducing 756 into passenger operations. As a guess I'm thinking it'll probably be late February by the time they're running after driver training.

RJ

Established Member
Good to see the Ebbw Vale line back up and running today after yesterday's shutdown.

I was on the 2237 rail replacement service from Ebbw Vale to Cardiff Central which served all stops on the line correctly. I took note of the times each station as I was curious more than anything as to how the running times compared.

The train is scheduled to take 58 minutes to complete the journey.

With progress unimpeded by recovery time, the rail replacement bus took 68 minutes.

Normally the rail replacement bus is scheduled to take 102 minutes, with waits of 5-8 minutes booked at every stop between Ebbw Vale Parkway and Rogerstone.

Most surprising is without the recovery time at every stop, the bus has pretty much the same average speed as the train between Ebbw Vale Town and Rogerstone.

At least they've got till February to get it finished.

I read electrification was being activated from 29th December, is 13th just for signalling?
Yes, those are the dates I have - the line is to be regarded as electrified from 29th Dec. 12th Feb is looking like the reopening date I'm now told by a normally reliable source.

Last edited:

Tom125

There's a consultation happening right now for introducing 756 into passenger operations. As a guess I'm thinking it'll probably be late February by the time they're running after driver training.
Why are they introducing 756s and not the tram trains originally planned?

Bob Price

Why are they introducing 756s and not the tram trains originally planned?
Stopgap so they can reduce the need for 150's. Make use of the 756's until the trams are ready. Then the 756's can go onto the Rhymney, the 231's to the Ebbw Vale, Maesteg, Cheltenham diagrams and the 150's can go.

MikePJ

What’s the nature of the consultation?
It’s just a standard new-vehicle-introduction consultation. Amey (as the infrastructure manager of the Core Valley Lines) consult all the other stakeholders (e.g. freight and charter operators) about the fact that new vehicles will be introduced. Details on the 756 thread here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/transport-for-wales-class-231-756-flirts.220379/post-6507908

Stopgap so they can reduce the need for 150's. Make use of the 756's until the trams are ready. Then the 756's can go onto the Rhymney, the 231's to the Ebbw Vale, Maesteg, Cheltenham diagrams and the 150's can go.
Also because the depot at Taff’s Well still isn’t finished so 398 introduction is behind schedule

WesternBiker

Bob Price

On Wednesday there are some potential testing / driving runs for the 756's on the Radyr loop via Cardiff Central and the city line.

If you look up Radyr on Wednesday evening at about 8.30 pm you will see them carrying on through the evening. Potentially the first driver training runs for the 756 metro units.

Dai Corner

Established Member
On Wednesday there are some potential testing / driving runs for the 756's on the Radyr loop via Cardiff Central and the city line.

If you look up Radyr on Wednesday evening at about 8.30 pm you will see them carrying on through the evening. Potentially the first driver training runs for the 756 metro units.
Odd that they're '0Z' headcodes, which normally implies a light loco.

Bob Price

Agree, but I cannot think what else it could be, unless it's a route proving loco to train drivers. I may sneak out and have a look.

56xx

Full Approval recommendation for Quakers Yard Station Improvements is to go to Merthyr Tydfil CBC Planning Committee tomorrow.

Local Councillor has advised that the station should re-open on Monday 18th December.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

67028 is reportedly to be doing these.
From the non-urgent TOPS thread.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
IMG_4900.jpeg

I came across this artist’s rendition of apparent (no good source) plans to modernise (or Strasbourg-ise, looking at it) Cardiff Central station.

I don’t know if this is a genuine proposal or has been drawn up for a joke, but I think it looks phenomenal. Central is a shabby, run down embarrassment of a principal station, and it certainly looks very odd to see shiny modern fleets like 197s, 231s and 80x stopping there when the station is so visually-obviously uncared for. Some modernisation would be amazing, I think.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
View attachment 148382

I came across this artist’s rendition of apparent (no good source) plans to modernise (or Strasbourg-ise, looking at it) Cardiff Central station.

I don’t know if this is a genuine proposal or has been drawn up for a joke, but I think it looks phenomenal. Central is a shabby, run down embarrassment of a principal station, and it certainly looks very odd to see shiny modern fleets like 197s, 231s and 80x stopping there when the station is so visually-obviously uncared for. Some modernisation would be amazing, I think.
Is Cardiff Central listed ?.

The ‘wavey roof’ was one mock up, this was a second:

Neither had any funding for building work attached.

Both involved building a concourse above the tracks similar to Reading and demolishing the back of the main block of the station frontage to get a full length platform 0 that would be the sole platform for London bound trains.