• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Avowedsevern

i would suppose that depends on whether the current scheme turs out to be the disaster that some people appear to think it will...

It doesn’t even have to turn out to be a “disaster”, it just has to not live up to the promises. E.g. if they go back on the proposed increase in service on the Treherbert, Merthyr, and Aberdare lines. What exactly would the benefit to the public be in that case after all of this is done? The public isn’t going to appreciate losing a year’s worth of rail travel (in the case of the Treherbert line) for better signalling.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Apologies in advance for this question as I know if I trawl through this thread I'll find the answer but to save me doing so can I ask what is the plan beyond the Bay station? I went down there the other day, to be nosey if I'm honest, and looked liked some clearance work has gone on beyond the station. Is this for an extension of the line or just a coincidence?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
There's some talk locally about the Treherbert line not reopening this month as previously planned and advertised. Anyone have any info? Would put a major dent in the trust people have in TfW if that is the case. Hope its just dodgy rumours.

Avowedsevern

There's some talk locally about the Treherbert line not reopening this month as previously planned and advertised. Anyone have any info? Would put a major dent in the trust people have in TfW if that is the case. Hope its just dodgy rumours.

Discussed this with one of the managers recently, he said original plan was to re-open this upcoming Tuesday but that there were still some outstanding issues and quite a bit of work left to be done, so he said to expect delays.

We shall see. Them hitting that pipe at Tonypandy station didn’t help things.

Envoy

Established Member
Apologies in advance for this question as I know if I trawl through this thread I'll find the answer but to save me doing so can I ask what is the plan beyond the Bay station? I went down there the other day, to be nosey if I'm honest, and looked liked some clearance work has gone on beyond the station. Is this for an extension of the line or just a coincidence?
They are building the new Bay station in such a way that in the future, they can extend the system on street (in part) to connect with Splott and the mainline at Newport Road. They also plan to link the Bay Line with Cardiff Central station (south side) - which I guess is the number 1 priority.

The Red Dragon Centre is going to be demolished along with County Hall and a new Arena is going to built on the land.

Richard Scott

Established Member
They are building the new Bay station in such a way that in the future, they can extend the system on street (in part) to connect with Splott and the mainline at Newport Road. They also plan to link the Bay Line with Cardiff Central station (south side) - which I guess is the number 1 priority.

The Red Dragon Centre is going to be demolished along with County Hall and a new Arena is going to built on the land.
Thanks for info. I'll go and have another look around at some point.

Discussed this with one of the managers recently, he said original plan was to re-open this upcoming Tuesday but that there were still some outstanding issues and quite a bit of work left to be done, so he said to expect delays.

We shall see. Them hitting that pipe at Tonypandy station didn’t help things.
I guess that having made no specific opening date announcement, except for February, there's flexibility for overruns.

Signal_Box

Test trains are running daily, so I’d suggest there is still passenger facilities or paper work issues outstanding rather than actual infrastructure tasks outstandin.

AdamWW

Established Member
Test trains are running daily, so I’d suggest there is still passenger facilities or paper work issues outstanding rather than actual infrastructure tasks outstandin.

If they are true test trains, then if all was ready you'd think they wouldn't need any more testing.

If they are for staff training, then maybe there's more training that needs doing before the service can start.

positron

Another consultation has gone live, with a helpful list of plans and target dates for 2024.
Interesting change on the new electrification map that I've spotted, there's a new catenary free section just after Pontlottyn and Gilfach to bargoed is now catenary free rather than PESed. Haven't spotted any other changes yet but I'm sure there's probably some other subtle differences.

Signal_Box

If they are true test trains, then if all was ready you'd think they wouldn't need any more testing.

If they are for staff training, then maybe there's more training that needs doing before the service can start.

Test train / staff training in reality

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems the proposed rebuilt of Caerphilly station, might have its plans called in by Welsh Government

Plans to demolish and redevelop Caerphilly's railway and bus stations could be decided by the Welsh Government.

Caerphilly Council wants to bulldoze the existing stations as well as the public toilets and Old Station Buildings to create an "integrated" transport interchange for rail, bus, taxi and active travel.

However, a report for Caerphilly Council's planning committee on 7 February, said Welsh Ministers had received a request to call the application in for their own determination.

The report noted clarification has been sought from Welsh Government and members will be updated at committee.

The council themselves has made a recommendation that permission be granted, subject to conditions.

A total of 38 responses have been received from the public and two from councillors objecting to the application. Concerns include noise, parking, dust, waste and traffic disruption during the construction process.

Objections said the old ticket office (Old Station Buildings) should not be demolished as it is part of Caerphilly's history, heritage and cultural identity, has character and looks to be in good condition. Objectors added that it should instead be incorporated into the
proposed design and should be listed or added to the local list.

Proposed is a building which spans the station and bus waiting areas, rising up to two storeys in height to allow for an upper floor spanning the railway line.

Lined up is a small retail unit, rail ticket office, bridge (with lift and stairs), toilets, cycle storage and separate train and bus waiting rooms, within the building.

The building would be accessible from Station Terrace and King Edward Avenue (via platform three) at ground floor level and from the bridge on Cardiff Road at first floor level.

Also proposed is a larger retail space over two floors that will be accessible from outside of the building, with a roof terrace available at the upper level. There would also be a separate, smaller building to provide a bus drivers welfare area.

Tomos y Tanc

Seems the proposed rebuilt of Caerphilly station, might have its plans called in by Welsh Government

Welsh Government very rarely calls in applications - just a handful every year. While I think TfW could have kept the old buildings in situ, they're not listed and I can't see Ministers intervening.

stu-79

Strange timetable updates for the Treherbert line next week (as per realtimetrains)
  • Treherbert-Treherbert test trains continue
  • Treherbert-Pontypridd bus services continue
  • Regular rail services resume Treherbert-Cardiff Central
  • And a NEW 2ph bus shuttle Treherbert-Treorchy starts?
Anyone able to decipher this?

Brissle Girl

Established Member
The bus service to Treorchy is to serve Ynyswen, as that station won’t be reopening for the moment.

AdamWW

Established Member
Strange timetable updates for the Treherbert line next week (as per realtimetrains)
  • Treherbert-Treherbert test trains continue
  • Treherbert-Pontypridd bus services continue
  • Regular rail services resume Treherbert-Cardiff Central
  • And a NEW 2ph bus shuttle Treherbert-Treorchy starts?
Anyone able to decipher this?

Hedging their bets with times both for the line remaining closed and it opening, then delete as applicable when they know what they're doing?

Cardiff Council have appointed consultants to design the Cardiff Central to Cardiff Bay link. Helpfully the WalesClickbateOnline article doesn’t give anything else away that’s news. Here’s the full text:

(It also comically suggests this is needed to allow Valley services to run to the Bay which speaks volumes about the quality of journalism in this piece)

Project consultants have been appointed to take forward the first phase of Cardiff's plans for a rail link running east to west across the city. The scheme has secured £100m in committed funding - with £50m from the UK Government’s Levelling Up Fund alongside a matched contribution from the Welsh Government.

The first section scheme could transform rail connections across south Wales by creating a new section of rail line to link Cardiff Central into the existing Cardiff Bay line - allowing Valleys lines services to continue through to Cardiff Bay. Cardiff Council has appointed engineering and environmental professional services consultancy WSP and construction, property and management consultants Rider Levett Bucknall (RLB) to provide programme and cost management services for the project

The project envisages two dedicated new platforms integrated into Cardiff Central Station with the line then running across Callaghan Square, before linking up with the existing heavy rail line running alongside Lloyd George Avenue and reaching a new station at Pierhead Street. The light rail network is being seen as a key public transport project linking the city centre with Cardiff Bay, and through the redevelopment of Atlantic Wharf with a new indoor arena at its heart.

However, it is unclear, with infrastructure inflation pressures, whether £100m will be enough to get it as far as Pierhead Street. The commitment funding will also need to finance a re-configuration of the road network in and around Callaghan Square.

Last edited:
Cardiff Council have appointed consultants to design the Cardiff Central to Cardiff Bay link. Helpfully the WalesClickbateOnline article does name them and doesn’t give anything else away that’s news. Here’s the full text:

(It also comically suggests this is needed to allow Valley services to run to the Bay which speaks volumes about the quality of journalism in this piece)

No rush, why not wait a year before doing anything then be really vague on timelines? :\