• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South West Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamF

Hello

I am looking at becoming a train driver for SWT when I'm older, and I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you will be able to answer.

1.How much does a fully trained mainline (probably SWML) driver get paid?
2.Do train drivers get free/reduced UK train travel?
3.What sort of questions are asked at the interviews?
4.Do you get extra pay for early starts/late ends?
5.How often do SWT recrute for drivers?
6.Is it preferable to have a job before becoming a train driver, if so, what type?

Thank you very much!! ☺☺☺☺☺☺

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy-mc

Hello

I am looking at becoming a train driver for SWT when I'm older, and I have a few questions that I'm hoping some of you will be able to answer.

1.How much does a fully trained mainline (probably SWML) driver get paid?
2.Do train drivers get free/reduced UK train travel?
3.What sort of questions are asked at the interviews?
4.Do you get extra pay for early starts/late ends?
5.How often do SWT recrute for drivers?
6.Is it preferable to have a job before becoming a train driver, if so, what type?

Thank you very much!! ☺☺☺☺☺☺

1. I believe SWT are on around £47k
2. most likely get free travel on all stagecoach group (east midlands and island trains) and then 75% all other operators (minus TfL, Grand Central and rail tours)
3. same as any interview Id imagine, ask about background, name a time you have had to deal with a difficult situation, why you want to be a driver, what you know about the company and also some customer service based
questions, ofcourse that's after you sit all the psychometric tests.
4. no, drivers are paid the amount they are because of the unsocial hours although some do still get extra payment for working sundays and overtime
5. as and when they need them, there is no specific time of the year.
6. if you want to work on the railway then id suggest get a job on the railway, platform, barrier etc. railways experience isn't essential but it helps.

all of this info could and most likely will change depending on how long it will be until you are eligible to be one, including the company itself

my advice would be to get a job somewhere on the railway and then keep an eye on these forums for opportunities and advice

Stigy

Established Member
Just to add to question two. SWT staff get unlimited free travel on SWT, Island Line and East Midlands Train services, and ten trips a year at present on Virgin East Coast as they are Stagecoach part opened too. All these agreements are reciprocal and the likes of EMT and VEC staff get the equivalent. These reciprocal agreements can be withdrawn too.

All TOC employed staff get similar perks, as do their spouses and/or dependents in full time education, for leisure purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.