• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton Cruise Terminal - Car Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has used the car parking at the terminal recently, we've just booked a fairly short notice two week cruise and haven't used Southampton for some years, if anyone has any suggestions for a reliable car parking company I'd be most grateful for info

Thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Southampton has 5 Cruise terminals.
The official terminal parking is provided by the port authority, ABP.
There are a few off site companies providing parking, but I couldn't suggest or recommend any of them.

Snow1964

Established Member
Although there are 5 terminals some do not have car parks, and they provide a shuttle. ABP seem to have limited space and ask for your cruise Co and departure date, it is not uncommon for there to be no availability.

Have done 2 cruises from Southampton this year, one coincided with a rail strike, we managed to get parking just before it ran out, but it was about £90 for 5 night cruise, the other much longer cruise we took train from Wiltshire (free parking near station in safe area). Cheap GWR group save ticket to Southampton.
At Southampton it's about £8 for taxi, which we rounded up to £10 cash. Lots of taxis shuttling from station to the cruise terminals, if very busy might need to wait couple of minutes.

Haven't used off site parking.

One other tip, they might give you a check in time, but in practice that seems to be to stagger arrivals, anything between about 1 and 3pm, even if 90min early they let you check in and board.

For 2 week cruise might be worth getting train to Southampton, as parking at short notice will be steep (if you find any)

ExRes

Established Member
Southampton has 5 Cruise terminals.
The official terminal parking is provided by the port authority, ABP.
There are a few off site companies providing parking, but I couldn't suggest or recommend any of them.

Thanks for the info @BananaRepublic I've actually had a message from Fred Olsen via my travel agent today recommending ABP so that's the way I'll go, living close to Gatwick and knowing the 'service' some give I wouldn't trust an off site 'provider', particularly as I like to know which county the car will be in when I get back :D

Although there are 5 terminals some do not have car parks, and they provide a shuttle. ABP seem to have limited space and ask for your cruise Co and departure date, it is not uncommon for there to be no availability.

Have done 2 cruises from Southampton this year, one coincided with a rail strike, we managed to get parking just before it ran out, but it was about £90 for 5 night cruise, the other much longer cruise we took train from Wiltshire (free parking near station in safe area). Cheap GWR group save ticket to Southampton.
At Southampton it's about £8 for taxi, which we rounded up to £10 cash. Lots of taxis shuttling from station to the cruise terminals, if very busy might need to wait couple of minutes.

Haven't used off site parking.

One other tip, they might give you a check in time, but in practice that seems to be to stagger arrivals, anything between about 1 and 3pm, even if 90min early they let you check in and board.

For 2 week cruise might be worth getting train to Southampton, as parking at short notice will be steep (if you find any)

Thanks @Snow1964 managed to get 15 days with ABP for £150 departure on 14th October

ExRes

Established Member
Arrived at Southampton yesterday lunchtime, we were given instructions by 4 cheerful ABP staff between the gates and our parking space, they brought a luggage trolley to our car and we were in the Terminal in less than 10 minutes after turning the engine off, couldn't recommend them highly enough, now all we need is for the car to still be there when we get back ;)

thejuggler

As you found some cruise companies use ABP berths (Celebrity, Fred Olsen MSC etc) where parking is next to the ship, we had luggage picked up from the car by stevedores who load onto vans, passengers then walk to the ship. Car stays where it is.

Others such as Carnival group (P&O, Princess) use other berths (Ocean, QEII and Mayflower) and CPS are preferred parking partner. Drive car to ship, luggage removed by stevedores in drop off area, keys handed to CPS rep and driven to offsite car parks.

The day before you return the cars are moved back to dockside and keys held at a cabin, On leaving ship pick up keys, find car and leave. On occasions companies using CPS may leave from one berth and arrive back at another, but the car will be at the car park for where the ship arrives.

Other options are offsite hotel with parking and it is also possible to park in a Southampton Council multistorey near the docks for the length of the trip. Its excellent value for money compared to official cruise parking companies.

SteveHFC

We've used CPS twice now when travelling with P&O - really easy - even during Covid restrictions in 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.