• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton Signaling problems this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajdunlop

There have been big problems this morning and 'until further notice' at Southampton Central due to over running Signaling works and now Signaling problems. Does anyone know what the Signaling work was this weekend and why it might have gone wrong?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There have been big problems this morning and 'until further notice' at Southampton Central due to over running Signaling works and now Signaling problems. Does anyone know what the Signaling work was this weekend and why it might have gone wrong?

Final changeover from the old to the new interlocking and testing - the weekend was the big change period, they have been installing the new interlocking in the background for many months.

Ample scope for teething troubles. I see FGW are diverting via Eastleigh at the moment, which frees up some paths...

wowbagger

Hmm, was supposed to be working from the office in London tomorrow so I may call the boss & tell him that I shan't bother if it's going to take ages to get up there & back.

Shame because I bet the 07:38 SOA to WAT will be empty tomorrow.

ajdunlop

Final changeover from the old to the new interlocking and testing - the weekend was the big change period, they have been installing the new interlocking in the background for many months.

Ample scope for teething troubles. I see FGW are diverting via Eastleigh at the moment, which frees up some paths...

Thanks for the reply,
What's the difference between the old and new? Is it just replacing life expired equipment?
The FGW diversion this morning was very useful, allowed me to get to Romsey.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply,
What's the difference between the old and new? Is it just replacing life expired equipment?

I think so - there don't seem to be any major changes AFAICT. I think there was a short piece in MR a while back that mentioned what the new technology was, I'll try and dig it out later.

Edit: Found a press release, it's Signalling Solution's (Alstom/Balfour Beatty) 'Smartlock' interfaced with existing equipment - saves looking through back issues of MR...

http://www.alstom.com/transport/new...terlockings-in-the-Southampton-area-20100128/

Most of the recent S&C work at the station has only been like for like replacement as well, although they did remove that short siding off the down main by the tunnel.

Last edited:

Oracle

Established Member
I know it's OTT but yesterday I saw Arriva XC trains parked in the end all platforms at Eastleigh.

Local TV said this morning that there were problems as a result of 'overrunning engineering work'.

Interesting that the stub track, last used by a p/way machine that I can recall, has gone.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Day 2! Things must have gone very wrong.

Portsmouth NEWS said:
A spokesman for Network Rail said:

‘The signal renewal work, which ran into yesterday morning have been solved.

‘Today’s disruptions are signalling related that can happen at any time.’

Of course they're used to this sort of thing in Portsmouth, :D and yes that odd first sentence IS a direct copy from the 'News' website, not a typo...

Oracle

Established Member
There was an Eastleigh-Salisbury shuttle via Chandlers Ford today, no AXC trains beyond Southampton to Bournemouth, and no trains stopping at Millbrook in the Down direction. All good fun!

daza7789

The work is as mentioned an interlocking renewal. The interface between all the equipment (signals/points/track circuits) and the panels in eastleigh ASC has be renewed with SSI (solid state interlocking) technology

It involved the compleate renewal of Totton, Southampton and Mount pleasant interlockings, That is a hell of alot of disconections and testing to be done.

Unfortunaty there has been glitches, 1 of the main problems is that the train discribers throughout the area have not been working properly. A cable fault on Tuesday also caused a loss of control of signalling at Totton.

Oracle

Established Member
My son had to go to Eastleigh College this morning by train..normally he catches the 0812 from Ashurst to Southampton Central 2B then over the bridge to Platform 1 and waits for the Romsey train. That was cancelled, because of the replacement shuttle from Eastleigh-Salisbury and so the 0812 was extra-stopped at St Denys, Swaythling and Eastleigh. Handy! However, what about Redbridge and Millbrook? Are they being served by FGW trains?

dcd

My son had to go to Eastleigh College this morning by train..normally he catches the 0812 from Ashurst to Southampton Central 2B then over the bridge to Platform 1 and waits for the Romsey train. That was cancelled, because of the replacement shuttle from Eastleigh-Salisbury and so the 0812 was extra-stopped at St Denys, Swaythling and Eastleigh. Handy! However, what about Redbridge and Millbrook? Are they being served by FGW trains?

SWT trains to and from Weymouth are stopping at Millbrook and Redbridge.

Lrd

Established Member
SWT trains to and from Weymouth are stopping at Millbrook and Redbridge.

I thought it was the Poole stopping service making extra stops at Swaythling, St Deny's, Millbrook, and Redbridge, it already stops at Eastleigh, Southampton Airport, Central, Totton and Ashurst.

Oracle

Established Member
I am certain that today's ex-Poole stopper (0812 at Ashurst) went straight from Totton to Central. That was noteworthy at the time. Those pax for St Denys and Swaythling had to alight from the front door of the 444.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought it was the Poole stopping service making extra stops at Swaythling, St Deny's, Millbrook, and Redbridge, it already stops at Eastleigh, Southampton Airport, Central, Totton and Ashurst.

It depends on direction - earlier today I noticed at St Denys they were the down Weymouths stopping, but in the up direction it was the ex - Pooles.

Edit: LDBs are showing all four additional down calls in the Weymouths (xx51 at Southampton), St Denys and Swaythling are up ex Pooles, but Redbridge and Millbrook are in up Weymouths (xx30 at Southampton).

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The last I saw was that the FGW stuff was missing Soton completely, going: Romsey-Chandlers Ford-Eastleigh-Fareham.

FGW were running normally by about 1200 yesterday, and were this morning as well when I was in Southampton. At one stage (around 1000 yesterday) the ex-Brighton service that goes through Southampton about 1045 was showing on LDBs twice, once via Southampton, and the other missing Southampton, so I think they must have been sorting things out at that moment...

moonrakerz

FGW were running normally by about 1200 yesterday, and were this morning as well when I was in Southampton.

"normally" ? This afternoon I saw 2 services heading Portsmouth way, both about 25 mins late....................:roll:

Crossover

Established Member
Looks like things may be sorted for tomorrow according to the NRE Disruptions Facebook posts...time will tell I guess!

Oracle

Established Member
My son was peed off because his 0812 from Ashurst sat at Southampton Central for about 20 minutes so he was eventually late for college. Let's hope that the area gets back to normal soon!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
"normally" ? This afternoon I saw 2 services heading Portsmouth way, both about 25 mins late....................:roll:

Yes, but that's a typical delay on that route anyway.
The point is they were running through Southampton, not diverterd via Eastleigh as you suggested.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Looks like things may be sorted for tomorrow according to the NRE Disruptions Facebook posts...time will tell I guess!

Assume you meant 'by Friday' - as you posted overnight at 0146?

The normal Saturday service is operating today 29th AFAICT - so it looks to be fixed.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Assume you meant 'by Friday' - as you posted overnight at 0146?

The normal Saturday service is operating today 29th AFAICT - so it looks to be fixed.

Yes I did - sorry, really wasn't thinking properly by that time - as I was still up I saw "today" as "tomorrow" :lol:

thefab444

Established Member

The 0812 from Ashurst is booked to stop at St Denys (0853), Swaythling (0856) and Eastleigh (0903 - 0914) anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.