• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton to Glasgow - Where best to change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick1984

the journey planners say to change at Birmingham New St. is this the easiest place to change? Travelling mid-week.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I would choose to change elsewhere from choice, if the ticket doesn't forbid it.

Assuming that there are valid connections at Coventry, Birmingham int and Wolverhampton, any of those would be worth considering.

I'm assuming you are travelling via West Coast BTW.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What time of day will you be departing/travelling?

It's possible to avoid changing at Birmingham (which can get pretty hectic). An example would be the 0752 Southampton - Bristol TM 0952 and then 1030 Bristol TM - Glasgow 1811.

You could also travel via London (although more expensive) and pick up a direct VT from Euston or the 1530 Kings Cross - Glasgow 2125.

Hardcastle

Depends what dates & times you want to travel as this could affect the route & cheaper fares if you require advance tickets etc.

Rick1984

I would choose to change elsewhere from choice, if the ticket doesn't forbid it.

Assuming that there are valid connections at Coventry, Birmingham int and Wolverhampton, any of those would be worth considering.

I'm assuming you are travelling via West Coast BTW.

I'll have a look at those cheers.

It's my wife travelling so fewest so ideally one change and avoiding London. Time is flexible, probably mid morning.

manchester seems like a decent option, I know the Station and although a bit of a trek to high platforms, there are travelators.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
But going via Manchester puts her on a 185 or 350 and considerably increases journey time.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd Fly this route.....

One hour after leaving Southampton Airport you will be in Glasgow :p

Gathursty

Established Member
Perhaps Southampton - Warminster - Bristol - Newport then the Marches line to Crewe and up the WCML to Glasgow if Birmingham is to be avoided? I'm not a fan of the Marches though. It seems to go on and on and on!!

dcd

Currently it is best to avoid the Southampton to Birmingham via Oxford as it is a bus between Banbury and Leamington Spa due to a landslip.

Status
Not open for further replies.