• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southampton to Windsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philabos

My family and I will be arriving on Cunard at Southampton Sunday morning April 7 for travel to Windsor. Apparently we have a choice of change at Clapham Jct or Reading and Slough. Since we will be with large suitcases I am wondering which would be the preferred routing.
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Personally I would choose via Clapham Junction from Windsor & Eton Riverside therefore 1 change instead of 2 if taking the route via Slough from Windsor & Eton Central.

johnnycache

My family and I will be arriving on Cunard at Southampton Sunday morning April 7 for travel to Windsor. Apparently we have a choice of change at Clapham Jct or Reading and Slough. Since we will be with large suitcases I am wondering which would be the preferred routing.
Thanks for any advice.

Do you have any preference for which station in Windsor you end up at?

Windsor and Eton Riverside via Clapham Junction
Windsor and Eton Central via Slough

Veteran Member
Via Clapham Junction is simplest, though normally slower; you end at Windsor and Eton Riverside station, which is a terminus.

Clapham Junction is in two halves, with a wide footbridge that connects all the platforms. It's a bit of a walk to get from the Southampton platform (7 or possibly 9) to the Windsor platform (5 or 6), but there are lifts.

There are no engineering works scheduled on this route.

Reading station is being rebuilt, and major work is being done over Easter including Sunday 7 April, so best avoided in this instance.

The online journey planner confirms this by not showing any services via Reading that day: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SOU/Windsor/070413/1429/dep

Last edited:

Tibbs

What do you call Windsor and Eton Central station?;)

Very pretty :)

In other news, bear in mind it's quite a schlep up the (steep) hill into town from W&E Riverside, so either budget a small amount for a taxi (always available outside) or bring your hiking boots!

Having said that, the pub over the road from the station does good beer to fortify you, and the kebab shop on the right just as you start up the slope into town is really very good too!

philabos

Via Clapham Junction is simplest, though normally slower; you end at Windsor and Eton Riverside station, which is a terminus.

Clapham Junction is in two halves, with a wide footbridge that connects all the platforms. It's a bit of a walk to get from the Southampton platform (7 or possibly 9) to the Windsor platform (5 or 6), but there are lifts.

There are no engineering works scheduled on this route.

Reading station is being rebuilt, and major work is being done over Easter including Sunday 7 April, so best avoided in this instance.

The online journey planner confirms this by not showing any services via Reading that day: http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/SOU/Windsor/070413/1429/dep

Thanks for that - earlier NR advised travel via Reading and could not understand why it did not appear as an option today. Now I know why - Clapham Jct is the only choice that day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Very pretty :)

In other news, bear in mind it's quite a schlep up the (steep) hill into town from W&E Riverside, so either budget a small amount for a taxi (always available outside) or bring your hiking boots!

Having said that, the pub over the road from the station does good beer to fortify you, and the kebab shop on the right just as you start up the slope into town is really very good too!

Hmmm - probably not a good isea with the luggage but will keep in mind for day trips to London. Thanks for the tip - always enjoy a good pub.

Status
Not open for further replies.