• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern DMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar

Hello everyone,

I have an interview with SE for charring cross, feeling abit neverous about it.

Has anyone had a interview with SE recently? What questions did they ask?

From my understanding SE always ask the same questions (this is stated on there website).

Some questions I managed to find;
-Why do you want to be a train driver?
-What do you know about SE?
- Question based on TPWS (information pack sent via email)

I would be greatful if anyone that has experience with DMI with SE can add to this list or any useful advice to answering the question. Thank you in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zuko

Hello everyone,

From my understanding SE always ask the same questions (this is stated on there website).

I would be greatful if anyone that has experience with DMI with SE can add to this list or any useful advice to answering the question. Thank you in advance.
Theres alot of information on this website, I found everything I need on here and had my DMI in August.
Those questions you stated are some but I can't really think of any that I was asked at the moment.

Best advice i can give is do a search on here for DMI questions I'm sure there was a forum, that had a whole load of questions that you could use to prepare.

Good luck

Omar

I wasn’t able to find spefic questions for SE apart from the ones above but will have another look .Thank you.

Last edited:

ninhog

Hello everyone,

Personally, I think trying to find out what the next stages entail and rehearsing for them is counter-productive. What happens if you practice your answers for certain questions but then get asked entirely different questions?

I see plenty of posts from people on this forum who have bought books, watched DVDs, done online courses and asked everyone everything about each stage of the process only to then fail at some point. In my opinion, these are the people who are trying too hard to rehearse what they think they’re expected to say or to perform as they’re expected to perform.

I was lucky in the sense that I’d never considered being a train driver and took a shot at it when a friend shared a link to a trainee driver vacancy. I went through each stage of the process, taking it as it came and I’m now a qualified driver.

Just play it by ear, take each stage as it comes, make use of any practice material sent to you, do a little company research (traction types, depots, employees, company information) and have a vague idea of times when you’ve performed exceptionally well under pressure, when you’ve made a positive change etc. You’re selling yourself in the DMI and even the MMI but don’t go in with a script.

I’m sure others will disagree with me but I’m just speaking from my own experience; it’s perfectly possible to try too hard and get nowhere for it.

Omar

Personally, I think trying to find out what the next stages entail and rehearsing for them is counter-productive. What happens if you practice your answers for certain questions but then get asked entirely different questions?

I see plenty of posts from people on this forum who have bought books, watched DVDs, done online courses and asked everyone everything about each stage of the process only to then fail at some point. In my opinion, these are the people who are trying too hard to rehearse what they think they’re expected to say or to perform as they’re expected to perform.

I was lucky in the sense that I’d never considered being a train driver and took a shot at it when a friend shared a link to a trainee driver vacancy. I went through each stage of the process, taking it as it came and I’m now a qualified driver.

Just play it by ear, take each stage as it comes, make use of any practice material sent to you, do a little company research (traction types, depots, employees, company information) and have a vague idea of times when you’ve performed exceptionally well under pressure, when you’ve made a positive change etc. You’re selling yourself in the DMI and even the MMI but don’t go in with a script.

I’m sure others will disagree with me but I’m just speaking from my own experience; it’s perfectly possible to try too hard and get nowhere for it.

Thank you for the advice mate.

Bayum

Established Member

So what are you suggesting? Not revising for an interview at all?

Omar

I think the point ninhog was making is not to have scripted answers to questions that may not even come up which is right to to some extent. but the SE website states all candidates are asked the same question to keep recruiting process fair. I have found some useful information on here for DMI question specific to SE.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The DMs know who has rehearsed the answers and are giving a scripted response. I speak to them regularly and scripted answers are always a theme when discussing candidates.

Relax, be yourself, do the homework.

Omar

Definitely don’t want to sound like a robot to DM. Just want to have idea what questions they may throw at me, don’t want to get caught off guard lol. Thanks for you’re advice mate.

Bayum

Established Member
There is a difference between revising and rehearsing. Rehearsed answers can be detrimental.
They can, but I'd expect any candidate in teaching or otherwise to have a set of rehearsed answers and situations to apply to any situation/question asked.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would also agree but ninhog is correct. All the generic scripted answers are not helping and people are still failing. In part, because spoonfed answers do not show understanding, do not allow for expanded or answers that go on a tangent, and shockingly, are often just wrong.

I can tell you for a fact that the homework SE sends each candidate is VERY important and carries more weight that pretty much any other part of the interview.

If you need someone to provide you answers to pretty simple questions then your already in trouble. What ninhog is highlighting is that when someone else gives you the answer and your using a script; it probably isn't going to go well.

Good interview tips are things like getting a decent nights sleep, avoid caffeine and other stimulants, be on time, be well presented, relax, ask questions, etc etc.

Bad tips are things like "when they ask this, say that" as ninhog points out. People are still reporting back that they have failed, even with masses and masses of insight and materials.

I know internals who don't make it and they have perfect answers and oodles of experience.

The DMI is highly subjective and is the one place where a candidate gets to be themselves, rather than a generic score on a test paper. I think, just as ninhog, that people are forgetting that crucial aspect of the DMI.

ComUtoR

Established Member
or any useful advice to answering the question. Thank you in advance.

Why do you want to be a train driver :

*My answer : I was talking with a friend of mine who is a Driver at EWS, he recommended it as he thought I had the right mentality for it. I want a job where I can stay for the rest of my career as I've hopped jobs for the past 10yrs and not been happy. I have a family to take care of and, as I discussed with my friend, driving seems to be a good fit.

Forum answer : Safety safety safety, customer service, working with the public, DONT MENTION MONEY !!

Omar, Why do YOU want to be a Train Driver ?

*pretty much what I said and is the reason I become a Driver

Omar

Honestly looking for new career and challenge, been a school science Technician 5+ years, I cannot see myself doing another 5 years mores.

The only progression I can make is to be a teacher which I am not fond of. I can see myself being a train driver as career, I genuinely enjoy driving and mechanics, which to small extent is similar. Plus there more Opportunities to progress as DI or DM in the future.

ComUtoR

Established Member
And that is the correct answer. Nobody needs a script for that or any pre-canned answer. Just an honest answer about YOU and what YOU want. It's easy to push the candidate further on their answer (expand about why you aren't fond of teaching but would be an instructor) or to find out more about them (how was your time as a Technician)

Approach the other interview questions the same. Answer from the heart and give an honest response.

Omar

And that is the correct answer. Nobody needs a script for that or any pre-canned answer. Just an honest answer about YOU and what YOU want. It's easy to push the candidate further on their answer (expand about why you aren't fond of teaching but would be an instructor) or to find out more about them (how was your time as a Technician)

Approach the other interview questions the same. Answer from the heart and give an honest response.

Thank you for the advice and encouragement really appreciate it.

Gekko5154

During the interview you will need to demonstrate your suitability for the role of train driver and this is done by being marked against different criteria. You are marked from 1-5 for each criteria. 1 being a poor fit meaning you failed to give evidence against that criteria and 5 being a excellent fit meaning your answer was positive and evidence analogous to the role of train driver. One topic is "understanding of the role" in which you will be asked why you are applying for the position of a train driver? I said i wanted a career change with a stable job and the role of a train driver offers that also that I believe i have the necessary skills and attributes required for the role gained from my current position (at the time) which would allow me to make a success of it. I then went into those skills and attributes required which worked a treat as it interlinked with the next question which was, what are the main priorities of train drivers?

bionic

Plus there more Opportunities to progress as DI or DM in the future.

Be very careful how you put that across. You don't want them thinking you are getting ahead of yourself or have your eye on their jobs. Get the driving job first, then worry about your training. Don't lay on DM or DI aspirations too thick.

ninhog

As understood and clarified by others, and possibly not explained properly on my part, don’t overdo it.

If you’re giving a well rehearsed, perfectly scripted answer to a question and you’re asked to expand or explain, you’re going to flounder when you can’t give a genuine or fully understood answer.

Don’t aim to give the interviewers what you think they want to hear; give them genuine examples and expand as passionately as possible on them, applying the experience to railway principles.

Omar

During the interview you will need to demonstrate your suitability for the role of train driver and this is done by being marked against different criteria. You are marked from 1-5 for each criteria. 1 being a poor fit meaning you failed to give evidence against that criteria and 5 being a excellent fit meaning your answer was positive and evidence analogous to the role of train driver. One topic is "understanding of the role" in which you will be asked why you are applying for the position of a train driver? I said i wanted a career change with a stable job and the role of a train driver offers that also that I believe i have the necessary skills and attributes required for the role gained from my current position (at the time) which would allow me to make a success of it. I then went into those skills and attributes required which worked a treat as it interlinked with the next question which was, what are the main priorities of train drivers?

thank you so much that helps a lot mate.

Omar

Be very careful how you put that across. You don't want them thinking you are getting ahead of yourself or have your eye on their jobs. Get the driving job first, then worry about your training. Don't lay on DM or DI aspirations too thick.

very good point, i will take that on board. cheers.

JammyJames08

Thank you.
Yes I know mate, I am not sure if am allowed post his name on the internet mate.

Of course, just to give you a low down, Charing Cross only has about 30 drivers, they mainly do Suburban work with a few Tunbridge Wells thrown in. J

Status
Not open for further replies.