• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southeastern - when is there an admin fee to alter advance tickets?

Williamt

Hello.

- I've not purchased a ticket yet.
- I've read all of this: https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/tickets/tickets-explained/advance-tickets

It says "Advance tickets are amendable, however an admin fee may apply". It doesn't specify when it applies though (or indeed how much it is, e.g. the £10 for other TOCs or something else.)
I asked SE on WhatsApp when admin fees applied and they just pasted me most of what I've already read.

This would be for an eTicket purchased via the app.

Other question: If a train is cancelled, can you automatically use an advanced ticket for it on a following service?

Thanks,
William

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
- I've not purchased a ticket yet.
- I've read all of this: https://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/tickets/tickets-explained/advance-tickets

It says "Advance tickets are amendable, however an admin fee may apply". It doesn't specify when it applies though (or indeed how much it is, e.g. the £10 for other TOCs or something else.)
I asked SE on WhatsApp when admin fees applied and they just pasted me most of what I've already read.

This would be for an eTicket purchased via the app.
I believe that Southeastern, like most retailers, charges the maximum £10 admin fee for Advance ticket changes. Happy to be corrected though.

Other question: If a train is cancelled, can you automatically use an advanced ticket for it on a following service?
Yes, provided the next train still complies with the route and/or operator restrictions on your ticket. You can also claim Delay Repay if you arrive 15+ mins late for most operators, including Southeastern - some train companies have higher thresholds of 30 mins or 1 hour before you can claim compensation.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, on the next service subject to any operator or route restriction on the ticket.
It doesn't specify when it applies though (or indeed how much it is, e.g. the £10 for other TOCs or something else.)
It will be the standard £10 fee that almost all operators charge, that being the maximum permissible. It would apply to a change of time and/or date of travel.

Williamt

Thank you both. So the fee is basically charged all the time, and they typically only waive it for strikes etc?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you both. So the fee is basically charged all the time, and they typically only waive it for strikes etc?
It might be that they reduce or waive the fee for lower-value tickets (some retailers do this), but if this is the case I can't see this clearly stated anywhere on the website.

If a strike or other disruption/cancellation means you would arrive more than an hour later on the next available service, you are entitled to request that your ticket is changed to another date of your convenience, free of charge. You shouldn't be paying an admin fee or a fare difference in this situation.

Similarly, Advance tickets are normally non-refundable, but if your train is cancelled or delayed and you decide not to travel, you can claim a full refund and there is no admin fee for this.

akm

Some retailers allow fee-free amendments (note, not refunds) of Advances - I know of CrossCountry and RailSmartr, there may be others. The last time I surveyed the landscape I found that Cross Country had the best UI for this, in my opinion. You can buy any ticket from any retailer (broadly speaking) - I use Cross Country to buy all my SWR tickets, for example.

"Fee-free amendments" means that so long as you keep the from-station and to-station the same, you can change the date and time of the ticket (paying any increase if the price goes up, but not getting any money back if the price goes down)