• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Conductor Medical and BMI???

Status
Not open for further replies.

redrascal

Hi Guys,

I've recently passed my interview for a Conductor role at Brighton and have been given the date for the medical which is on the 2nd June. I'm really looking forward to working on the railway and what an opportunity it's going to be but I'm worried I won't pass the medical due to my weight. I'm a big guy who is 6ft 4 and 21 stone with a BMI of 35 and 25 years of age, I'm in the middle of losing the weight and have lost 3 stone so far this year but really worried my current weight is going to let me down. Apart from that I'm pretty healtly I don't drink or smoke and take plenty of exercise.

Do you think I stand a chance of passing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marks102

Hi mate, hope you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait for confirmation from southern that you passed your interview and was you phoned or emailed? Many thanks.

BHXDMT

I'm really looking forward to working on the railway and what an opportunity it's going to be but I'm worried I won't pass the medical due to my weight. I'm a big guy who is 6ft 4 and 21 stone with a BMI of 35 and 25 years of age, I'm in the middle of losing the weight and have lost 3 stone so far this year but really worried my current weight is going to let me down. Apart from that I'm pretty healtly I don't drink or smoke and take plenty of exercise.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was 24, 6ft 3in and weighed around 20 stone at the time I passed my Conductor's medical. The Doctor commented on it and my BMI, but was happy enough when I told him I was actively trying to reduce my weight. Passed no problem.

anonperson

I love medicals, the 38 stone nurse puts you on the scales, Tuts and says : "You could do with loosing 4 pounds "

redrascal

Hi mate, hope you don't mind me asking, how long did you have to wait for confirmation from southern that you passed your interview and was you phoned or emailed? Many thanks.

A bit of a weird one but they told me I got the job at the interview and rang me the same day. I thought the Interview went terribly I was really nervous and thought I fumbled my answers but I guess it went better than I thought. A friend of mine applied a few years ago and had to wait 3 weeks before he heard a reply.

I wouldn't worry about it. I was 24, 6ft 3in and weighed around 20 stone at the time I passed my Conductor's medical. The Doctor commented on it and my BMI, but was happy enough when I told him I was actively trying to reduce my weight. Passed no problem.

Thanks for that mate you've put my mind at ease.

Marks102

A bit of a weird one but they told me I got the job at the interview and rang me the same day. I thought the Interview went terribly I was really nervous and thought I fumbled my answers but I guess it went better than I thought. A friend of mine applied a few years ago and had to wait 3 weeks before he heard a reply.

Thanks for that mate you've put my mind at ease.

Your Mate, Was it a positive reply after 3 weeks?

redrascal

Sadly not
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It did take my about two years to get this offer from Southern, I've been up to Knolly's House about 4 times for different roles over the years (it was always those pesky role plays that got me). So don't worry if you've not heard back yet just keep applying and good luck.

Marks102

Sadly not
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It did take my about two years to get this offer from Southern, I've been up to Knolly's House about 4 times for different roles over the years (it was always those pesky role plays that got me). So don't worry if you've not heard back yet just keep applying and good luck.

I will call them Monday, try and find out what the decision was, it would be nice to find out either way, I have a little bit of hope left but its going.

sarahj

Established Member
Hi Guys,

I've recently passed my interview for a Conductor role at Brighton and have been given the date for the medical which is on the 2nd June. I'm really looking forward to working on the railway and what an opportunity it's going to be but I'm worried I won't pass the medical due to my weight. I'm a big guy who is 6ft 4 and 21 stone with a BMI of 35 and 25 years of age, I'm in the middle of losing the weight and have lost 3 stone so far this year but really worried my current weight is going to let me down. Apart from that I'm pretty healtly I don't drink or smoke and take plenty of exercise.

Do you think I stand a chance of passing?

I would not worry about it mate, and you will see why when you join us. Good luck and welcome to the mad house of Brighton depot.

redbutton

I was 5'11" and 24 stone when I did my driver's medical. I've since lost three stone and counting.

When I met the doctor at the end of the process to go over my test results, I proactively mentioned it to him as something I was concerned about and working on. We had a long conversation about what exactly would be a healthy weight (i.e. not necessarily what "healthy" BMI range says it should be) and my plans for achieving it. He said that the weight limit was a more of a hard cut-off in the old days, but nowadays they are given discretion to take all factors (basically whether you're otherwise healthy, able to physically do the job, and likely to remain so) into account when making the decision.

And like sarahj implied, no matter how big you are, you're likely to meet someone bigger once you pass out.

redrascal

I would not worry about it mate, and you will see why when you join us. Good luck and welcome to the mad house of Brighton depot.

I was 5'11" and 24 stone when I did my driver's medical. I've since lost three stone and counting.

When I met the doctor at the end of the process to go over my test results, I proactively mentioned it to him as something I was concerned about and working on. We had a long conversation about what exactly would be a healthy weight (i.e. not necessarily what "healthy" BMI range says it should be) and my plans for achieving it. He said that the weight limit was a more of a hard cut-off in the old days, but nowadays they are given discretion to take all factors (basically whether you're otherwise healthy, able to physically do the job, and likely to remain so) into account when making the decision.

And like sarahj implied, no matter how big you are, you're likely to meet someone bigger once you pass out.

Thanks both of you for the replies you've put my mind at ease, got my medical tomorrow (hopefully they don't cancel again, they've already cancelled on me twice) I'll let you guys know how I get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.