• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

southern Daysave

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnycache

Despite the Southern website home page stating the following:

"With Southern's £14 DaySave ticket, how much can you squeeze into one day?

Just book online at least seven days ahead and for just £14,(£1 for kids) you can hop on and off our network as much as you like."

It seems that a 7 day advance purchase period is not built into the terms and conditions

http://www.southernrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/ticket-types/daysave-terms-and-conditions

and it is possible to buy a ticket for use within a shorter period

Today (09 August) i tried to buy tickets for 10 August (failed), 11 August (failed), 12 August (failed), 13 August (success)

Not sure how many days ahead you would say that is but counting tomorrow (10 August) as day 1 the 13 August is day 4

It could perhaps be construed as 3 clear days not counting day of purchase or day of travel (hardly intuitive)

When you choose an invalid date you don't know the transaction has failed until you reach the following page when this message is displayed:

"There are no delivery options available for the combination of tickets and travel dates"

The same page also says:

"*Please note that DaySave tickets can only be booked three days in advance"

Daysave will only be available from the main website from November and the Day-Save flexi product

http://www.southernrailwaytickets.com/main.php?page_id=604

looks like it will be withdrawn

Still a great product but very muddled implementation

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MKD

The ticketing for DaySave is now VERY confused.

HOWEVER I can get it to offer tickets for pickup from a Southern Ticket Machine (ie at some of the stations that Southern services serve) THREE days ahead.
eg it now being 9/8 at 20:20ish, if I put in 12/8 at out 21:00 back 22:00 it offers tickets for delivery to a Southern Ticket Machine.

It MAY be it is counting 3 days or 24*3hours from the current time to when the journey requested tickets for are timed at (they are of course ALL day tickets albeit from 10:00am or 9:55am, they are confused, on working weekdays with SOME evening restrictions, again various versions of what those restrictions are).

What I cant get their system to offer is to deliver by POST ever, not from 3 days, 7 days, 10 days even :( Have emailed them about it and probably get a reply in due course though based on previous replies they wont necessarily have engaged reading before engaging replying.

That postal delivery is rather necessary given Milton Keynes Central is a LONG way from a Southern ticket machine!

Historically I have used their All Network Downlander as that a) wasnt much more expensive b) could be self-printed c) was available one clear day in advance d) didnt have any evening restrictions e) included buses along some of south coast. However cost has zoomed ahead, and evening restrictions apply. DaySave has Group saving benefits too.

Last edited:

Universediver

Hi, I couldn't see where it says you can only obtain Daysave tickets via their web site from November.

Does this mean you wont be able to purchase them from South Coast Tourist Information Centres anymore?

johnnycache

I'm not sure about the tourist information centres (or sales on-board Brighton and Hove buses) but i got an email saying that southernrailwaytickets.com was closing from 04 November which i have cut and pasted below:

Important change to the sale of Southern DaySave tickets

Dear Passenger,

From Monday 4 November 2013 DaySave tickets will no longer be available to buy at www.southernrailwaytickets.com, but don't worry you will still be able to buy DaySave tickets from our main website at www.southernrailway.com/DaySave

If you haven't already registered with our main Southern Railway website, you will need to register before buying DaySave tickets. By registering you will also be able to purchase national tickets for any UK rail journey, with no booking fees or credit card charges.

Register today at www.southernrailway.com

Kind regards,

The team at Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.