• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Driver questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloHi

I'm a applicant currently got my d.m.i booked,

I'd really appreciate some questions answered, partly because I'm curious but also because it may come in use.

1) I see alot of southern staff traveling on buses and on foot , do you have to make your way to destinations to pick trains up?

2) why do alot of the staff pull small trolley cases, do you have alot to carry?

3) if I was based at selhurst for training, where else would training take place?
Do we send time at other centres?

4) could you tell me the terminus, depots and interchange stations?

Sent from my ALBA 5 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Staff on buses are likely travelling to or from home to work. I presume you're in London, in which case public transport is quite often easier to use than your own car. The only time they'll be on a bus on duty is if its a rail replacement bus.

Gardno7

Hi,

Training also takes place at Worthing station.
You have to carry various items... publications, torch, sunglasses, keys, snacks.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Many Southern drivers and other crew do actually drive to work, even at the South London / outer Metro depots of Selhurst, Norwood, Epsom, etc. The inner Metro depots at Victoria and London Bridge see a much more varied combination of people using staff taxis (nb. provided for certain drivers on specific duties at urban depots only!), public transport and cycling, with little or no driving into work. It is my experience that uniformed staff travelling on public transport tend to work on stations, which generally have very slightly easier shift start/finish times, which align better with the start and end of service. Bear in mind that almost all Southern train crew can and will regularly be asked to book on at any time - that includes deeply impractical times such as 0400 on Boxing Day, 0300 Sunday morning, you name it.

Once you are on duty, it is entirely the company's responsibility to provide transport within your shift. There are walking routes, these generally around stations or depots, and rarely more than 10-15 minutes in realistic terms. Each has a standard timing allowance and the same applies to taxis / replacement buses / trains / interchanges between services.

Lots of staff now use trolley cases, though the company issue ones can be carried as a backpack, and conventional backpacks can also be used. For the essentials you don't always need a bag quite that big, except if you eat a lot or like to stuff your coat in there. A crew bag can get fairly heavy and wheeling it is not a bad move. You can use your own bag, but it must not be able to snag on a moving train (no loose straps etc.) and cannot cover your orange hi-vis vest, unless it is also of the same material. You may also need to sign a disclaimer.

A lot of driver training happens at Selhurst, but you will also train with instructors based at the depot where you will eventually work full time, and there are training rooms all over the place where you may occasionally get sent - Streatham Hill, Hove, Worthing...

Go and look up the route maps and timetables, even things like Wikipedia, you name it! Speak to some staff or go travelling around a bit on the network. However much bad press Southern gets, they have some cracking routes and stations, and most staff are perfectly friendly if you find a quieter moment to have a chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.