• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern & South Eastern delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal_gee_man

Good evening ladies and gentlepeeps,

I've just had a 25 minute delay on a southern service from East Croydon (ECR) to Victoria (VIC) that in turn made me miss my South Eastern connection to Aylesham (AYH), the next SE service then doesn't leave the station on time 25 mins late due to a bridge strike in the Sittingbourne area and now the train is running it's not exactly speeding along so we'll be over 45mins late as well on this journey, so technically double delay repay from both companies, who should I challenge first, should I challenge both of them, will southern be responsible for me missing the first train so in effect making both claims equal, as both will result in me making to my final journey I really don't know! Help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Good evening ladies and gentlepeeps,

I've just had a 25 minute delay on a southern service from East Croydon (ECR) to Victoria (VIC) that in turn made me miss my South Eastern connection to Aylesham (AYH), the next SE service then doesn't leave the station on time 25 mins late due to a bridge strike in the Sittingbourne area and now the train is running it's not exactly speeding along so we'll be over 45mins late as well on this journey, so technically double delay repay from both companies, who should I challenge first, should I challenge both of them, will southern be responsible for me missing the first train so in effect making both claims equal, as both will result in me making to my final journey I really don't know! Help
You made one journey, so it's one claim.

Make a claim to GTR (Southern) as they caused the initial delay which meant you missed your connection.

I would advise stating clearly what my journey was (and I would not confuse matters by referring to individual legs as journeys) and I would include, in tabulated format, both my booked itinerary and actual itinerary, with a brief note stating which delay caused a missed connection.

Metal_gee_man

You made one journey, so it's one claim.

Make a claim to GTR (Southern) as they caused the initial delay which meant you missed your connection.

I would advise stating clearly what my journey was (and I would not confuse matters by referring to individual legs as journeys) and I would include, in tabulated format, both my booked itinerary and actual itinerary, with a brief note stating which delay caused a missed connection.

Booked iternery lol, this is network se land, just a open ticket, but I will state my planned journey clearly and concisely and see what they come back with, at the current rate claiming from either operator will probably result in a 100% refund right now it's gonna be a late night

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK planned itinerary ;)

(to be fair I was copying and pasting as a very similar question cropped up earlier today!)

andrewkeith5

The form for Southern is pretty easy to fill out and the only one you need for this. You just put in your planned departure and arrival times (there's a field for the connecting station(s)) and how delayed you were. You don't need to list out your whole itinerary as they can easily work out your intentions from that and thus what would have happened - generally GTR are excellent at processing claims quickly and fairly.

Metal_gee_man

Yep, I did give them an iternery, and late last night I got a confirmation that they are paying out! 100% of the single!
The greedy person in me has thought about sending a request to SE as well as their journey was seriously delayed as well, but because both Southern and SE are Govia companies I'm sure they'll reject the claim that's when the smart person in me thought better of it

andrewkeith5

Yep, I did give them an iternery, and late last night I got a confirmation that they are paying out! 100% of the single!
The greedy person in me has thought about sending a request to SE as well as their journey was seriously delayed as well, but because both Southern and SE are Govia companies I'm sure they'll reject the claim that's when the smart person in me thought better of it

You aren't entitled to anything from Southeastern purely because you only made one journey even though it was in two parts. Southern will more than likely reclaim the additional delay portion Southeastern are responsible for from them - ultimately in this case you get the same amount of compensation , but are only making one claim.

By all means when it's within the rules be as greedy as you like, but personally I am just happy that GTR have the most generous compensation scheme in the industry and one which other operators really should be keen to follow. I think it's unfair to abuse the scheme in this case.

Metal_gee_man

The reason I said it for is if my Southern service was on time I would have been on the 18.40 from VIC to AYH and that arrived 71m late which would have entitled me to have claimed from SE as their leg would have been the delay, I didn't because Southern buggered up first! I have no intention of going to SE and asking for compensation, that would get me another £25, however as I said the smart person in me said because of data sharing within Govia companies, from a fraud point of view, and pure fairness I won't abuse the system, not to say others wouldn't!

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
It's surely a good idea to discuss whether you can get away with fraud on a public internet forum! I like how your moral compass did not stop you at all but rather the fact you think you will be caught. I would suggest to anyone reading that cases of suspected delay repay fraud are monitored and TOCs do take action on these cases with some regularity.

I note in your first post that you said you have "technically double delay repay from both companies". I would like to state (as yorkie already did) that this is not based in reality, not even as a technicality, and that making such claims would indeed be fraud.

Metal_gee_man

Yes it would be fraud which is why I won't do it! My double delay repay question was related to needing to claim for the 25min delay on southern, then claim for a 50min journey with SE, which actually would only achieve 75% of my single being compensated, this why I needed clarification on who I should claim from, the advice was right from Yorkie, and I achieved 100%, what is interesting is there is no system in place to check who has issued compensation other than Govia companies sharing data with other Govia companies or First sharing with other First brands etc!
But thanks for assuming I was trying to encourage others into fraud

Intermodal

Established Member
Yes it would be fraud which is why I won't do it! My double delay repay question was related to needing to claim for the 25min delay on southern, then claim for a 50min journey with SE, which actually would only achieve 75% of my single being compensated, this why I needed clarification on who I should claim from, the advice was right from Yorkie, and I achieved 100%, what is interesting is there is no system in place to check who has issued compensation other than Govia companies sharing data with other Govia companies or First sharing with other First brands etc!
But thanks for assuming I was trying to encourage others into fraud
I'm quite confused about why you would submit two claims. Perhaps you can help me understand? What tickets were you using and were you splitting them? Even if you are using a combination of tickets to complete a journey it is still considered to be one journey, and you would make a claim to the first delaying TOC for the entire journey and they would refund according to the cost of any combination of tickets in total.

Metal_gee_man

It was one ticket, it's now fixed, I'm happy with what the outcome is, I claimed from Southern and that's what I needed to know right at the beginning, hence my scatterbrain who should I claim from do I need to apply for each leg of the journey, it's not something I do regularly, and needed advice, my further rants are about how easy it could be done and why it shouldn't, but yes it did seem as if my moral compass was a little off

Intermodal

Established Member
It was one ticket, it's now fixed, I'm happy with what the outcome is, I claimed from Southern and that's what I needed to know right at the beginning, hence my scatterbrain who should I claim from do I need to apply for each leg of the journey, it's not something I do regularly, and needed advice, my further rants are about how easy it could be done and why it shouldn't, but yes it did seem as if my moral compass was a little off
Great - well I am glad you are clear with how it works now. That is what I was trying to make sure of in my last couple of posts - that you understand the way the system works so you can make best use of it in future. I read the posts as you trying to get more than the compensation due, not trying to get 100% across two companies.

No hard feelings here.

Status
Not open for further replies.