• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Southampton to Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Currently on board 377427 on the 0932 Southampton to Brighton. I thought all West Coastway services were in the hands of 313s these days, or is that just the Portsmouth services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LA50041

Established Member
Currently on board 377427 on the 0932 Southampton to Brighton. I thought all West Coastway services were in the hands of 313s these days, or is that just the Portsmouth services?
313's never go to Southampton anymore as conductors/guards have lost route knowledge. About half of the Portsmouths are 313's but thats as far as they go nowadays

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
313s have never routinely served Southampton since the through service started.

I think the original route clearance was only ever a precaution in case they needed the capability during engineering work or diversions.

MatthewRead

On Moderation
313s have never routinely served Southampton since the through service started.

I think the original route clearance was only ever a precaution in case they needed the capability during engineering work or diversions.
Have they ever been to Eastbourne or Hastings?

A 313 did occasionally turn up at Swanwick when I worked there but I believe lack of toilets was the main reason they were unsuitable for a journey of almost 2 hours.

sarahj

Established Member
Have they ever been to Eastbourne or Hastings?

2 run that way. One unit goes in the morning, BTN-EBN-ORE-HGS-ORE-EBN-BTN
One in the PM goes BTN-EBN (not sure what happens to it after that, we pass back to BTN.)
Mon-Fri

RichardKing

One in the PM goes BTN-EBN (not sure what happens to it after that, we pass back to BTN.)
It heads into Eastbourne Sidings as 5D80 and sits there until around 20:30-21:00, at which point it runs ECS back up to Brighton as 5D00 as the unit's diagrammed to a couple of late night Seaford runs.

Eastwestjct

313 have run to Southampton quite a bit. There was a spell a couple of years ago when the Sunday trains were frequently formed of 313 units.

Also occasionally on Saturday the Brighton have run as 6 car 313 (reportedly for the football at Brighton)

Status
Not open for further replies.