• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern, Thameslink & Great Northern 'Not On Strike' Details

paul1609

Established Member
It still being on planners is a disgrace.

Booked tickets yesterday for Letchworth to Hinckley (left late as possible to be sure trains were running) going today and returning Sunday, return journey still in planner - only by station announcements this morning did I know getting back may be an issue. Got deliveries coming to our new house this afternoon so couldn’t abandon.

Sunday will be fun getting back somehow with an autistic child, neither of us drive so can’t just hire a car.
Theres a National Express service 230 that runs from Leicester to Luton Airport roughly every 2 hours which still has seats available at the moment (and buses either end) if that helps.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minstral25

Established Member
Unfortunately it works out at almost the worst possible time for Reigate connections, although to be fair that is because it is just in the usual Reigate path, and that is timed not to conflict with GWR services.

It's only in the Reigate path from London. Other than a morning peak trains and a few late evening services, it packs up a different path from Redhill to be opposite the Thameslink services (2 of which still run within minutes of each other) to at least give an approximation of half hourly service towards London from Redhill. Nice bit of planning there for once.

infobleep

Veteran Member
A check of signalling diagrams shows that they aren't running.
https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/guildford
Indeed they are not showing on the NRE app.

I didn't check at the point FenMan said they were showing.

The GWR Web site now has nothing for Sunday in relation to the North Downs Line and for Saturday only says this:
Planned engineering work will affect services between Reading and North Camp.
There are no services showing at all for North Camp when I go to the NRE app.

I'd much rather they ran buses, even if they can't run trains rather than giving the impression they are doing something they are are not.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I must admit my biggest problem with this is how late they let people know. In fact I am might wind up Mr Shapps about this. I got the email yesterday evening saying no service on Sunday. I had already left for my journey away. So no I have a car at Welwyn Garden City station, that had I know 12 hours earlier would be at either St Albans or Harpenden. GTR knew about the dispute, they know they rely on overtime to run the service, so they should have expected they were not going to be able to run the service before Friday.

GTR have always performed badly as this thread highlights.

The fact that they haven’t managed to run 50% of the service all week is very telling (still with cancellations due to no train crew). Mr Shapps was great with saying GTR should be accountable for the poor service they provide (especially at weekends) but then went quiet when he was transport minister.

WindsorJoe

There’s an additional LNER tomorrow morning 07.30 Peterborough calling at Huntingdon , St Neots ,Stevenage and King’s Cross , plus most if not all LNER services will be calling additionally at Peterborough on the up and down if there not already booked to stop . Unless the DFT authorise money for extra drivers and changes in contracts regarding rest day working then we are stuck with GTR being unreliable for years to come .

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
There’s an additional LNER tomorrow morning 07.30 Peterborough calling at Huntingdon , St Neots ,Stevenage and King’s Cross , plus most if not all LNER services will be calling additionally at Peterborough on the up and down if there not already booked to stop . Unless the DFT authorise money for extra drivers and changes in contracts regarding rest day working then we are stuck with GTR being unreliable for years to come .
South of the river full Sunday service operated so how come GN got left out of the agreements?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Different contracts? Were all the contracts harmonised by GTR or are there still differences in the south, Thameslink (MML) and TLGN (ECML)?

mchunt

Theres a National Express service 230 that runs from Leicester to Luton Airport roughly every 2 hours which still has seats available at the moment (and buses either end) if that helps.
Managed to get local bus to Leicester, EMR from Leicester to Luton (via Manton - first time on that track) and then local busses back to Letchworth. With son's disabled bus pass only cost us £6 in bus fares and were back by 1pm.

dk1

Veteran Member
AIUI They are still on the old WAGN Ts and Cs.

WAGN driving conditions with GA retain no signing on before 05:00. Everything earlier has to be covered by night shifts from the previous day. That also wouldn’t help with early start up on the day after but do have committed Sundays. Could GN drivers have First Capital Connect T&Cs?

Failed Unit

Established Member
WAGN driving conditions with GA retain no signing on before 05:00. Everything earlier has to be covered by night shifts from the previous day. That also wouldn’t help with early start up on the day after but do have committed Sundays. Could GN drivers have First Capital Connect T&Cs?
That is an interesting question, But London - Bedford did get some kind of a service yesterday. So my gut feeling would say no.

But I someone joined today - would they get a GTR contract, or the same contract as everyone else at that depot. (To avoid people doing the same job getting different T&C)

dk1

Veteran Member
That is an interesting question, But London - Bedford did get some kind of a service yesterday. So my gut feeling would say no.

But I someone joined today - would they get a GTR contract, or the same contract as everyone else at that depot. (To avoid people doing the same job getting different T&C)

There are some small variations around the UK but generally they get the same contract as current drivers at a particular depot. On my TOC they’d be Anglia Railways, Great Eastern or West Anglia depending on base.

Failed Unit

Established Member
There are some small variations around the UK but generally they get the same contract as current drivers at a particular depot. On my TOC they’d be Anglia Railways, Great Eastern or West Anglia depending on base.
It is amazing where we are in this respect, the Central Trains break up seems to causes lots of issues in the various TOCs that absorbed it as well. Outside railways many employers have said to me having different TOC over the same company, with the same people doing the same grade of job aways ends in tears.

Magdalen Road

What is going on with GTR? The overtime ban was supposedly finished on Tuesday so I've changed my working days around this and the strike for the last two weeks. And yet Wednesday and now Thursday more trains cancelled are due to a lack of train crew. Second day on the trot the 1T01 Kings Lynn - Kings Cross cancelled.

Sussex Ben

What is going on with GTR? The overtime ban was supposedly finished on Tuesday so I've changed my working days around this and the strike for the last two weeks. And yet Wednesday and now Thursday more trains cancelled are due to a lack of train crew. Second day on the trot the 1T01 Kings Lynn - Kings Cross cancelled.
It’s not uncommon for this to happen during school holidays because fewer drivers make themselves available for overtime. The overtime ban ending just means that drivers can do overtime should they wish, not that they will.

Magdalen Road

It’s not uncommon for this to happen during school holidays because fewer drivers make themselves available for overtime. The overtime ban ending just means that drivers can do overtime should they wish, not that they will.
It appears to be sickness.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It appears to be sickness.

and sickness is usually covered by overtime / rest days. But with the school hols, there will be more drivers on leave than an average week, and drivers with families will be less likely to volunteer to work additional hours.

As happens in December.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
and sickness is usually covered by overtime / rest days. But with the school hols, there will be more drivers on leave than an average week, and drivers with families will be less likely to volunteer to work additional hours.

As happens in December.
SE managed to deliver the timetable no problem on o/t ban days but GTR can't so how short of drivers are they in comparison?