• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern Traincrew Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Good Evening all

first things first this is my first post so mods please feel free to move somewhere more appropriate if required

does anyone on here know where the traincrew depots for southern are and what each depot sign route and tracton wise??

Many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
The depots I'm aware of are;

London Victoria
London Bridge
Brighton
Barnham
Caterham
Eastbourne
Epsom
Horsham
Norwood Junction
Redhill
Selhurst

I can't offer much information on routes and traction, so I'll leave that to others.

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Good Evening all

first things first this is my first post so mods please feel free to move somewhere more appropriate if required

does anyone on here know where the traincrew depots for southern are and what each depot sign route and tracton wise??

Many thanks in advance

May I ask, Why?

Minstral25

Established Member
I've often wondered this too, as Southern seem to have highly confusing diagrams for Drivers and Guards that are separate so you get trains cancelled because driver is available and guard not.

It seems a Driver arrives at Victoria from Eastbourne then takes a local train to Horsham and then back to London Bridge then down to Brighton. (Not saying that's a true diagram just they appear to bounce all over the place.

Naturally with this kind of complexity when it goes wrong then trains get cancelled all over the place rather than on specific routes because the Driver or Guard is in the wrong place.

Surely it would be much simpler if a Driver and Guard worked together for a day on the same trains and stuck to a single route. Guess the lack of efficiency would mean an extra 10 or 20 would be needed each day but for resilience would be cash worth spending

Muzer

Established Member
Is it my imagination or were SWT trialling such a system recently, at least on some lines?

Sharpie

Minstral has pretty much got it spot on, plus ive got a interest in traincrew diagramming etc

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Surely it would be much simpler if a Driver and Guard worked together for a day on the same trains and stuck to a single route. Guess the lack of efficiency would mean an extra 10 or 20 would be needed each day but for resilience would be cash worth spending

You would not believe how often that has been suggested as a method to improve performance....

Pumbaa

Established Member
Is it my imagination or were SWT trialling such a system recently, at least on some lines?

Yes. Almost completely implemented. There's a significant improvement in reactionary delay from train crew all over the place.

Southern313

Barnham depot as I'm based there is as follows.

Guards
Core routes of Brighton to Portsmouth including Littlehampton and Bognor. Plus Arun Valley and Brighton main line to Victoria and London Bridge. Link one and two guards also sign from Farlington Junction to Southampton via Netley and Eastleigh. All sign 313/377 traction.

Drivers
Core routes of Brighton to Portsmouth including Littlehampton and Bognor plus Arun Valley to Three Bridges. New drivers sign this to begin with and then do Brighton main line to Gatwick after a time. This is Link 4's routes. 313/377

Link 3 as above plus Gatwick - Vic 313/377
Link 2 as above plus London Bridge. Streatham Hill via Crystal Palace until Jan 4th. 313/377/442
Link 1 as above plus Southampton via Netley/Eastleigh. No Streatham Hill and no London Bridge from Jan. 313/377. Also no Lovers Walk either.

Muzer

Established Member
Why's Streatham Hill via Crystal Palace being removed, out of interest?

sarahj

Established Member
Oh ok

Brighton Depot
Only know conductors:

All links: Portsmouth to Brighton inc Bognor and Littlehampton. and Cliftonville spur. Hove to Preston Park.
Brighton to Ore including Seaford.
Main line (via H.Heath) Arun Valley and Lewes to Keymer.
London Victoria* and London Bridge.# * via Thornton Heath, Clj to Vic via Pooparts upper route only.
# Ecr to L. Bridge. Via Norwood junction, New cross Gate.
Link 1: Farlington Junction to Southmapton via Netley only.

Traction : 313,377,442.

Often find on a Sunday we do the same as Drivers. But not sure. Only issues I can see is sometimes when I'm on a break, the driver who came in with me, has to do a shunt, or something. Which means if they were doing the same as me, they would loose TEB time. Same sometimes at start or end of shift. I'm off home, the drivers off to Lovers.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Yes. Almost completely implemented. There's a significant improvement in reactionary delay from train crew all over the place.

If only someone had thought of that sooner...Oh wait, they did. NSE (re)introduced it on SWT during their tenure for the same reason.

sarahj

Established Member
Just read some guff in Modern Railways. SWT needed an extra 15 staff and thus £600,000 a year extra to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.