• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southern V South Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luckyflames

Having applied to both I’d like to ask opinions.

If you were waiting in a trainee driver talent pool for Southern & you have your DMI coming up with South Eastern if successful. Would you take the South Eastern position or wait for Southern.

Pay 29k for duration of training rising to £54k on completion with SE
32k for 3 months then 42k rising to £64k on
Completion

Similar travel distance.

What would you do ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mattyblob

It sounds like you're in Metroland so I'd say Southern without a doubt. The nature of the work is broadly similar so why not be fairly compensated for it!

class373

I would pick southern purely because of the pay, the difference is significant.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Southeastern generally have the worst terms of trainee drivers in the metro world of S/SE London, so I think most people would suggest Southern/GTR if you have the option. Very similar work between TOCs. That being said, its not advisable to hold out for an offer you may not get.

bramling

Veteran Member

If you were waiting in a trainee driver talent pool for Southern & you have your DMI coming up with South Eastern if successful. Would you take the South Eastern position or wait for Southern.

Completion

Similar travel distance.

What would you do ?

Unless there’s any significant logistical reason to go for Southeastern (for example depot on doorstep) I’d hold out for Southern if at all possible. Southeastern’s reputation is rather mixed, to say the least.

For some reason Southeastern has become rather a poor relation, certainly in terms of London TOCs.

A bit of a gamble though, as it’s risky to turn down one when the other isn’t signed and sealed.

skyhigh

Established Member
I’d take whoever offered you a confirmed job first.
This, 100%. A talent pool place does not guarantee you a job. You would be gutted to turn one down to wait for your preferred choice, only for your application to expire without any start date coming through.

Take SE and then take Southern if subsequently offered it and that's still your preferred.

Ps SE salary will be £47.5k + LW if applicable for your first year, post qualification.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Personally, I’d take whichever made an offer, given how the odds are stacked against getting a job offer in the first place. Better to have a job at your second choice, than risk not getting a job with either?

198ksw

Take SE and then take Southern if subsequently offered it and that's still your preferred.

Ps SE salary will be £47.5k + LW if applicable for your first year, post qualification.
Is this permitted? Will the TOC expect you to sign a contract saying you are liable for training costs if you do not see the course through to the end?

Completion

Similar travel distance.

What would you do ?
Which Southeastern depot are you interviewing for?

198ksw

Completion

Similar travel distance.

What would you do ?
So did you do the DMI with SE? If so, how did it go?

Stigy

Established Member
I’d play the game and take whoever offers me a job first. Also, there’s nothing wrong with being in a talent pool for more than one TOC at the same time, although not sure how it works with parent companies being the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.