• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southport - Edinburgh railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulberry2016

Lovely steam service just booked for 19th April, boarding at Wigan Wallgate. Going to Edinburgh via S&C so I'm guessing the route will be turn off at Carnforth and up to Hellifield via the Bentham line. Question is, will it be the diesel pulling from Southport or the Steam? How will they work it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Lovely steam service just booked for 19th April, boarding at Wigan Wallgate. Going to Edinburgh via S&C so I'm guessing the route will be turn off at Carnforth and up to Hellifield via the Bentham line. Question is, will it be the diesel pulling from Southport or the Steam? How will they work it?

I don't think there is any steam haulage on that tour, booked for a WCRC Class 47/57 throughout.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Unless it's going to reverse at Hellifield then it will probably turn right before Preston onto the line towards Blackburn turning left to go via Clitheroe towards the S&C.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

fairly certain that will be a 47/57 job throughout. Nice day out anyway.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Here's the details: http://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/railtours/trips/240-Southport-Edinburgh-2017.cfm

The Edinburgh Dalesman

Outwards via Settle & Carlisle, Southport to Edinburgh
Departs – Wednesday 19 April 2017

From Southport, Burscough, Parbold, Wigan & Leyland.

After travelling through Wigan and Leyland we run via the ever-favourite journey up the Settle and Carlisle Railway. As we climb up through to Blea Moor we traverse the world famous Ribblehead viaduct before plunging into a tunnel for a pleasant run through Dentdale and onwards to Kirkby Stephen and Appleby, where our journey into Cumbria continues via the picturesque Eden Valley. See www.settle-carlisle.co.uk. From Carlisle we take the West Coast Mainline to Edinburgh running via the Borders and Beattock summit.

The following Pick-Up and Set-Down stations are available on this excursion

Provisional Timings

Station / Outward / Return

Southport 05:30 20:55
Burscough 05:48 20:37
Parbold 05:57 20:28
Wigan Wallgate 06:13 20:11
Leyland 06:48 19:44
Edinburgh 11:54 15:23

There's no mention of steam haulage anywhere on the article.

jay40145

Im on this railtour as well from Southport, WCR are waiting for the final timings
before they send tickets out.

Regards

Jay

jay40145

These are the final timings for the Southport to Edinburgh railtour.

Final timings

Southport 05:40 21:07
Burscough Bridge 05:56 20:52
Parbold 06:03 20:44
Wigan Wallgate 06:22 20:25
Leyland 07:04 19:42
Edinburgh 11:53 15:23

All tickets now issued by email & post.

Jay

LeylandLen

Its a West Coast Railways tour, called 'The Edinburgh Dalesman'
On the website it states : Please Note: This trip is hauled by vintage diesel

Stuwhu

How do they get between Wigan Wallgate and Leyland? Does it reverse somewhere?

How do they get between Wigan Wallgate and Leyland? Does it reverse somewhere?

I assume it crosses at Wigan station Junction, just south of them both, there's a track between the mainline and Wallgate line. It should reverse there

jay40145

Indeed joshy, and then Leyland stn turns right at Farington Junction on to
Blackburn, Clitheroe, Hellifield, up the S & C, Carlisle, turns right at Carstairs
and through to Edinburgh, i don't know the return journey is.

;)

Last edited:

jay40145

It was a good run up the S&C,coming back was a bit late and getting looped every so often.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.