• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southport: why is arrival so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Been making a few journeys to Southport recently and struck by how painfully slow the last bit of the journey always seems to be!

From Birkdale we jog along gently then in the last mile or so we usually get stopped for at least a couple of minutes before creeping into a platform.

From Wigan there's a significant slowing before Meols Cop (so slow last time I thought we were stopping) and then an endless grind at what feels like 15mph over the last mile and a quarter.

Presumably there are permanent speed restrictions (and I appreciate that there's a distinct chicane to take in Meols Cop); also appreciate that we don't want trains ending up through the buffers, but it does seem excessively slow.

Any comments?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Its 20mph from Meols Cop for a mile then 10mph into the platforms at Southport.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Take a look at the track layout from above, tight curves and you don't want to be entering a terminals platforms at speed.

AntoniC

Been making a few journeys to Southport recently and struck by how painfully slow the last bit of the journey always seems to be!

From Birkdale we jog along gently then in the last mile or so we usually get stopped for at least a couple of minutes before creeping into a platform.

From Wigan there's a significant slowing before Meols Cop (so slow last time I thought we were stopping) and then an endless grind at what feels like 15mph over the last mile and a quarter.

Presumably there are permanent speed restrictions (and I appreciate that there's a distinct chicane to take in Meols Cop); also appreciate that we don't want trains ending up through the buffers, but it does seem excessively slow.

Any comments?

For the trains approaching/leaving Southport you have 3 tracks (Platforms 1, 2 or 3) merging into one inound and one outbound track.
The tracks have to cross each other and the delay is usually caused to an inbound train waiting for an outbound train to clear the station throat before it can arrive at P1, P2 or P3.

6Gman

Established Member
For the trains approaching/leaving Southport you have 3 tracks (Platforms 1, 2 or 3) merging into one inound and one outbound track.
The tracks have to cross each other and the delay is usually caused to an inbound train waiting for an outbound train to clear the station throat before it can arrive at P1, P2 or P3.

That really shouldn't be the case though. Trains are due in at xx.10 xx.25 xx.40 xx.55

Departures are xx.58 xx.13 xx.28 xx.43

If anything was to be delayed it's more likely to be the outbound surely?

AntoniC

That really shouldn't be the case though. Trains are due in at xx.10 xx.25 xx.40 xx.55

Departures are xx.58 xx.13 xx.28 xx.43

If anything was to be delayed it's more likely to be the outbound surely?

I regularly catch the timetabled 17.25 from Liverpool Moorfields to Southport , which is timetabled to arrive at Southport at 18:10.

However the train is regularly delayed leaving Moorfield by anything between 2 to 5 minutes, which means that by the time it gets to Southport it clashes with the 18:13 departure from Southport, which means the inbound train is held up at the Platform announcing signal until the outbound train has cleared the station throat.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
At a terminus it's generally better to give priority to departures. Delaying an arriving train inconveniences arriving passengers at that station, but it probably has enough turnaround time to recover the delay and start its next working on time. Delaying a departure means it is running late until there is enough recovery time in the timetable for it to catch up, or if there isn't it will be late all the way to its destination, risking delays to other trains along the way. Another reason is that sometimes the arrival uses the same platform the departure is currently occupying!

gorilladan

Any comments?
Minimising maintenance costs due to poor ground /track conditions, tight(ish) curves for pacers, old wooden sleepers, short-jointed track, multiple rabbit warren's et al. Generally lower speed = lower costs via less frequent maintenance requirements etc
I've been reliably informed that to renew the approaches would be expensive and provide minimal increase in track speed, therefore it's low in priority.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member

Any comments?

Slow because they closed the direct line via Blowick, meaning that all trains had to crawl over the curvy lines through Meols Cop.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Related to Southport , I only recently discovered there was an electric line from Southport to Crossens, just can't believe that was pulled up as it seemed popular!

Status
Not open for further replies.