• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Southwark Station cut thru on Oyster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

postye

I know If I arrive at Waterloo East Station on a PAYG Oyster card and cut through Southwark Station there is no additional charge, but what is the situation if I was to arrive at Waterloo East on a paper ticket not valued on underground? Could I use a PAYG oyster to cut through Southwark and would it make a charge to the card?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frontera2

I know If I arrive at Waterloo East Station on a PAYG Oyster card and cut through Southwark Station there is no additional charge, but what is the situation if I was to arrive at Waterloo East on a paper ticket not valued on underground? Could I use a PAYG oyster to cut through Southwark and would it make a charge to the card?

TIA

Be careful though.. If you ever touch in at Waterloo Main, walk over the bridge to Waterloo East then leave at Southwark, you will be charged. As I found out to my cost!

paul1609

Established Member
I guess that because of the arrangements for the Thameslink project it might now well be free for the duration. Probably depends on your origin.

Last edited:

leshuttle

I guess that because of the arrangements for the Thameslink project it might now well be free for the duration. Probably depends on your origin.

Sorry to bring this thread back up again but I just used this route both ways one day last week using my contactless bank card and the following day found £5.40 debited from my bank account. Going to try and request it back but guessing they've changed this now.

LA50041

Established Member
Sorry to bring this thread back up again but I just used this route both ways one day last week using my contactless bank card and the following day found £5.40 debited from my bank account. Going to try and request it back but guessing they've changed this now.

Still works with Oyster as I use this short cut regularly (including this morning), but it may be that contactless works differently

alistairlees

Established Member
I know If I arrive at Waterloo East Station on a PAYG Oyster card and cut through Southwark Station there is no additional charge, but what is the situation if I was to arrive at Waterloo East on a paper ticket not valid on underground? Could I use a PAYG oyster to cut through Southwark and would it make a charge to the card?

TIA

Hi

I do this every day on the Key (which is not PAYG) and it opens the three sets of gates (National Rail exit, LU entry, LU exit) all fine every time.

I previously did this every day on a paper season ticket from High Brooms to London Terminals and that was fine too.

I've done it on occasional paper non-season tickets and that's all fine too.

The staff are well used to it.

You can also use a contactless to tap in and out on the LU bit and you don't get charged for that.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

What was the journey you made?

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Be careful though.. If you ever touch in at Waterloo Main, walk over the bridge to Waterloo East then leave at Southwark, you will be charged. As I found out to my cost!

I appreciate this is an old post but it's a bit confusing - I assume you meant touch-in by passing through the gateline into Waterloo East at the Waterloo mainline concourse entrance?

If that's what you meant then no, there's no 'free passage' through Waterloo East NR station en route to Southwark LU station (even if you then wanted to take advantage of a 'free passage' through Southwark LU station).

If you want to walk from Waterloo mainline station to somewhere near the Southwark LU station entrance on the corner of The Cut and Blackfriars Road, then just walk via the streets!

leshuttle

The journey was Tonbridge-London Terminals (paper ticket), I didn't know you could use them through the Underground barriers but will try that next time, save any future bother.

I think previously I used to just buy a Travelcard on this route as the cost was the same as a London Terminals return (with a NR card). Since the recent fare changes on SE it's 65p extra for a Travelcard which isn't much but prefer to save if I'm not using the Underground/buses. I'd otherwise change at London Bridge for Thameslink (when it's reopened) as my meeting was nearer Blackfriars (South) than Waterloo East.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.29.50.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 12.29.50.png
    23 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The journey was Tonbridge-London Terminals (paper ticket), I didn't know you could use them through the Underground barriers but will try that next time, save any future bother.

OK, understood - having exited the Waterloo East gateline with your paper ticket you then used a contactless card to enter and then exit Southwark LU.

I'm a bit surprised you were charged I must admit - I know that only fairly recently I used a 'clean' Oyster (i.e. one not otherwise used at all that day) to gain 'free passage' through Southwark Tube station without charge. I don't think I've ever experimented doing this with a 'clean' contactless card though (but I have used the same contactless card to exit Waterloo East NR, then enter and exit Southwark LU station without extra charge).

I would appeal the charge to TfL. Perhaps it's misconfigured at their end.

greatkingrat

Established Member
It looks like it worked correctly at 1700, but not on the return journey at 2240. Did you do something different the second time? Perhaps one set of gates had been left open?

James H

A week ago I used Contactless to enter Southwark Station at the Blackfriars Road end, passed through the barriers on the Waterloo East side and bought a paper ticket for my rail journey from the Southeastern machine between the two gatelines.

I was charged 0.00 on Contactless for passing through the station.

James H

It looks like it worked correctly at 1700, but not on the return journey at 2240. Did you do something different the second time? Perhaps one set of gates had been left open?

Is the issue perhaps that there was more than 10 minutes between touch in and touch out on the second occasion?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Is the issue perhaps that there was more than 10 minutes between touch in and touch out on the second occasion?

Not more than 10 minutes, but both transfers were about 2 minutes long. This could be important. If you exit a station within 2 minutes of entering then a maximum fare will be charged. That's £5.40 off-peak. If you enter another (or the same) station within 45 minutes then the maximum fare is cancelled and a new journey started. Most people using the cut through on Oyster PAYG or contactless will be using the same method at Waterloo East so it isn't a problem.

If you exit between 2 and 30 minutes after entering then you are charged the minimum fare to travel from that station. I have a funny feeling that the minimum fare from Southwark is £0.00 because of the cut-through aspect. The journey history shows times accurate to a minute. If the times (H:M:s) were 17:00:15 and 17:02:40 then that is more than 2 minutes but rounds to 2 minutes on the display. But 22:41:30 and 22:43:25 is less than 2 minutes and also rounds to 2 minutes on the display.

I would expect the helpdesk to refund the charge if you explain what was going on. I'd be interested to know if the reason is down to over/under 2 minutes.

leshuttle

Well thankfully looks like I will get a refund but their response wasn't entirely helpful, assumes I'm making the journey daily!

I’m sorry about the inconvenience, but the system expects that an entry and exit within same station should exceed a certain timeframe hence the charge. The system refunds automatically, however when it’s a continue process it starts charging. My advice would be to use a season ticket rather than a pay as you go option. The system would continuously charge walking through the stations via Waterloo East.

I’m pleased to advise that you are due a refund of £5.40.

leshuttle

Again tried this today but using my London Terminals train ticket to be on the safe side. Fine entering Southwark tube from Waterloo East side but trying to exit on Blackfriars Road got error 82. The staff member let me through without problem but frustrating none the less!

londiscape

Not more than 10 minutes, but both transfers were about 2 minutes long. This could be important. If you exit a station within 2 minutes of entering then a maximum fare will be charged. That's £5.40 off-peak. If you enter another (or the same) station within 45 minutes then the maximum fare is cancelled and a new journey started. Most people using the cut through on Oyster PAYG or contactless will be using the same method at Waterloo East so it isn't a problem.

If you exit between 2 and 30 minutes after entering then you are charged the minimum fare to travel from that station. I have a funny feeling that the minimum fare from Southwark is £0.00 because of the cut-through aspect. The journey history shows times accurate to a minute. If the times (H:M:s) were 17:00:15 and 17:02:40 then that is more than 2 minutes but rounds to 2 minutes on the display. But 22:41:30 and 22:43:25 is less than 2 minutes and also rounds to 2 minutes on the display.

I would expect the helpdesk to refund the charge if you explain what was going on. I'd be interested to know if the reason is down to over/under 2 minutes.

Can I ask what the reasoning is behind this charge?

A few months ago I got chinged for £5.40 at Clapham Junction for the privilege of walking from the shopping centre side through the underpass to Grant Road, which was only necessary because of disruption and needing to go and get a rail replacement bus from there (wouldn't have done it otherwise, as I wanted a train!)

Just 30 minutes before, I'd touched in at Wandsworth Common with intention to train it to CLJ, but after spending 10 mins watching the display tick up the delayed arrival time at a rate of 1min per minute, I gave up and decided to get the 319 bus instead. Touched out - kerching! £1.50.

Tried the next day at a LU station to get this lot refunded, which the station attendant tried her best to do, but computer (or ticket machine in this case) said no.

This was on an unregistered PAYG Oyster.

Seems bloody ridiculous to charge someone who enters a station and then leaves it again without actually getting a train. Absolutely furious at the time.

telstarbox

Established Member
Also, why is Waterloo East not shown as a connection at Southwark on the tube map? It's all under one roof and an easier connection than Tower Hill to Fenchurch Street (which is shown).

leshuttle

Also, why is Waterloo East not shown as a connection at Southwark on the tube map? It's all under one roof and an easier connection than Tower Hill to Fenchurch Street (which is shown).

Presumably London Bridge is assumed better connection-wise although not all trains currently stop there in the peak. Waterloo East doesn't have lifts which could have been built as part of the Southwark link construction but oddly weren't despite disability legislation.

JamesRowden

Established Member
Can I ask what the reasoning is behind this charge?

A few months ago I got chinged for £5.40 at Clapham Junction for the privilege of walking from the shopping centre side through the underpass to Grant Road, which was only necessary because of disruption and needing to go and get a rail replacement bus from there (wouldn't have done it otherwise, as I wanted a train!)

Just 30 minutes before, I'd touched in at Wandsworth Common with intention to train it to CLJ, but after spending 10 mins watching the display tick up the delayed arrival time at a rate of 1min per minute, I gave up and decided to get the 319 bus instead. Touched out - kerching! £1.50.

Tried the next day at a LU station to get this lot refunded, which the station attendant tried her best to do, but computer (or ticket machine in this case) said no.

This was on an unregistered PAYG Oyster.

Seems bloody ridiculous to charge someone who enters a station and then leaves it again without actually getting a train. Absolutely furious at the time.

I remember a TV show which showed someone getting free Underground journeys by touching in and out on Oyster at their origin and destination (involving hanging over the barriers to touch in at the destination). Perhaps this charge has been imposed to discourage such behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.