• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Specified trains on Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuchananGB

Just completed a fine day out using British Rail Sale tickets, but which threw up a question about the specified trains to use on Northern. Returning from Carlisle to Southport with tickets as follows:
Carlisle to Wigan NW Valid only Avanti West Coast services. 16:49 Avanti West Coast
Wigan Wallgate to Southport Valid on specified Northern trains only. 18:35 Northern.
Avanti arrived at Wigan NW at 18:11, 2 minutes late.
On arrival at Wigan Wallgate was presented with a departure board showing 18:35 Southport CANCELLED and 19:01 Southport CANCELLED.
17:55 Southport Expected 18:25. I asked the gate line person whether I could use my 18:35 ONLY ticket on the late running 17:55.
His response is that times printed on tickets aren't applicable to their trains.
Of course I boarded the 17:55 and reached Southport 6 minutes EARLIER then if I had had a normal journey. Plenty of on train announcements about Delay Repay.
(Incidental bonus, my first ride on a 769.)
I could have waited for the next available service after the 2 cancelled trains, and would have been delayed 63 minutes.
I will not be submitting a Delay Repay claim, but why were tickets on Northern issued for travel on specific trains only?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...why were tickets on Northern issued for travel on specific trains only?
The Great British Rail Sale tickets you've bought are effectively a particularly cheap tier of train specific / ToC specific Advance tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just completed a fine day out using British Rail Sale tickets, but which threw up a question about the specified trains to use on Northern. Returning from Carlisle to Southport with tickets as follows:
Carlisle to Wigan NW Valid only Avanti West Coast services. 16:49 Avanti West Coast
Wigan Wallgate to Southport Valid on specified Northern trains only. 18:35 Northern.
Avanti arrived at Wigan NW at 18:11, 2 minutes late.
On arrival at Wigan Wallgate was presented with a departure board showing 18:35 Southport CANCELLED and 19:01 Southport CANCELLED.
17:55 Southport Expected 18:25. I asked the gate line person whether I could use my 18:35 ONLY ticket on the late running 17:55.
His response is that times printed on tickets aren't applicable to their trains.
Of course I boarded the 17:55 and reached Southport 6 minutes EARLIER then if I had had a normal journey. Plenty of on train announcements about Delay Repay.
(Incidental bonus, my first ride on a 769.)
I could have waited for the next available service after the 2 cancelled trains, and would have been delayed 63 minutes.
I will not be submitting a Delay Repay claim, but why were tickets on Northern issued for travel on specific trains only?
Your ticket was only valid on the 1835 because it was an Advance fare.

Most operators now offer such fares, including Northern.

However due to the cancellation, you are automatically entitled to take the next available alternative, which in this case departed earlier than the booked time and got you to your destination early.

Delay Repay is not applicable in your case as it relates to your journey, and not the timekeeping of any particular train.

JBuchananGB

I guess that the remark by the gate line person was incorrect then. Times on tickets are applicable to Northern trains.
Absolutely fine stroke of luck that the 17.55 was late otherwise I would have had a 63 minute delay.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I guess that the remark by the gate line person was incorrect then. Times on tickets are applicable to Northern trains.
Absolutely fine stroke of luck that the 17.55 was late otherwise I would have had a 63 minute delay.
Northern started selling Advance tickets on their services a few years back. Advances are now available for a wide variety of Northern flows, including such short hops as Stockport to Manchester!

In the event of disruption you are automatically entitled to take the next service that complies with your ticket's route or company restrictions, even if that is a late-running earlier service.

Status
Not open for further replies.