• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speed of TGV from Paris to Barcelona

Status
Not open for further replies.

finlaywilson2

Hello! I am new to the forum and have not yet got to grip with how it works!
In october, i will be taking the tgv from paris to barcelona.
Will my train reach 320kmh on any parts of the line? I know lgv mediteranee has capability but i dont know if this is between avignon aand valence.
Thankyou loads.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Hello! I am new to the forum and have not yet got to grip with how it works!
In october, i will be taking the tgv from paris to barcelona.
Will my train reach 320kmh on any parts of the line? I know lgv mediteranee has capability but i dont know if this is between avignon aand valence.
Thankyou loads.
Welcome!

The line speed is up to 320 km/h south of Valence. Whether the train reaches this speed though may depend upon the timekeeping. If the train is early/on time it may cruise at around 300 km/h.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The 320 km/h section is between Avignon and Aix-en-Provence (Wikipedia provides details of line speeds) and this train does not run on that section.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Line speed south of Perpignan is apparently 300km/h to Figueres (including the Perthus tunnel), and then 290km/h on to Barcelona.
A shout out for the old (slow, change trains/gauges en route) but highly scenic coastal route via Portbou...

Jpr463

I travelled on the 6:56am service in August between Paris and Girona. From periodic glances of the speed displays at the end of the carriage, we seemed to travel between 270-290kph most of the way towards Montpellier and still arrived on time. We only really cruised at 300kph between Valence and Nimes. I can't remember the speeds later on as we were enjoying the views to bother to check. It's a wonderful ride, especially if you get an upper deck 1st class seat.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Line speed south of Perpignan is apparently 300km/h to Figueres (including the Perthus tunnel), and then 290km/h on to Barcelona.
A shout out for the old (slow, change trains/gauges en route) but highly scenic coastal route via Portbou...

Are these speeds reached in practice? I thought there was an issue with passing freight trains, as the distance between tracks is not large enough (and there were power supply issues, although they probably have been rectified).

Status
Not open for further replies.