• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

finlaywilson2

Can anyone recommend a good and accurate rail speedometer?

Having just travelled on the Eurostar, mine failed to work but I plan to use one for my tgv ride this afternoon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
If you're referring to an app they all rely on the same GPS signal and one will be as accurate as another. If your phone has no GPS signal no app will work.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can anyone recommend a good and accurate rail speedometer?

Having just travelled on the Eurostar, mine failed to work but I plan to use one for my tgv ride this afternoon.
None of them will work on the 374s as the windows have teh same coating as the Voyagers do.

They will work on the 373s and on TGVs - the windows on those allow GPS signals through ( caveat - I haven't yet been on the newest generation of TGVs so cannot vouch for the windows on those ).

Cymroglan

Apologies for piggy backing on this thread, but I haven’t actually got a speedometer app. Can anyone recommend a good one for me, please? I’m an iPhone user! Thanks.

On Moderation
Apologies for piggy backing on this thread, but I haven’t actually got a speedometer app. Can anyone recommend a good one for me, please? I’m an iPhone user! Thanks.
I've used GPSSpeed HD for iPhone.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If you don't want your phone battery draining too quickly, you could always buy a sports GPS unit?

The one I use is intended for cyclists; it does as a result unfortunately have the Dalek exterminator like circular mount on it, but it's only an inch long so isn't too much of an issue. battery is good for up to 18 hours, and can be charged while in use.

Cymroglan

If you don't want your phone battery draining too quickly, you could always buy a sports GPS unit?

The one I use is intended for cyclists; it does as a result unfortunately have the Dalek exterminator like circular mount on it, but it's only an inch long so isn't too much of an issue. battery is good for up to 18 hours, and can be charged while in use.
That’s a really great suggestion. Thanks!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That’s a really great suggestion. Thanks!
Couldn't remember the make and model earlier while I was at work. Now I'm at home I can fill in the gaps from earlier!

If it helps...

It's a Lezyne Mega C and this is what it looks like; I use it set to a page that shows both current speed and distance travelled:

1696892817948.png

Cymroglan

Couldn't remember the make and model earlier while I was at work. Now I'm at home I can fill in the gaps from earlier!

If it helps...

It's a Lezyne Mega C and this is what it looks like; I use it set to a page that shows both current speed and distance travelled:

View attachment 144549
That’s really helpful, I appreciate your kindness, thanks!

Willie Bee

I've used GPSSpeed HD for iPhone.
I have an Android phone and downloaded a free speedometer app.

However, I have a backup iPhone (wife's hand-me-down) so I thought I would take a look at the app you suggested.

This app is £2.99, which is fine but I am just wondering why you picked it, when there are so many free ones available .. are there extra features that are worth having?

thanks!

On Moderation
I have an Android phone and downloaded a free speedometer app.

However, I have a backup iPhone (wife's hand-me-down) so I thought I would take a look at the app you suggested.

This app is £2.99, which is fine but I am just wondering why you picked it, when there are so many free ones available .. are there extra features that are worth having?

thanks!
It has the facility to record a journey and then extract it as a CSV data file was the main reason.

Willie Bee

It has the facility to record a journey and then extract it as a CSV data file was the main reason.
OK, many thanks

As I don't even know what a CSV data file is .. I doubt I'll be using that feature ... but I'll check it out anyway, in case I do :D

On Moderation
OK, many thanks

As I don't even know what a CSV data file is .. I doubt I'll be using that feature ... but I'll check it out anyway, in case I do :D
CSV is Comma Separated Values; basically a data format where the columns are separated by commas and which allows import into almost every spreadsheet or database system.

Status
Not open for further replies.