• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spike Milligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydro

Established Member
Just having a YouTube trawl before bed, and am watching a lot of Milligan clips from his hilarious Q series. Anyone else like old Spike? I've been a fan for years now, he's an absolute comedy genius in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7uwM2Ogl9Q&feature=related

This clip has had me in mirth for about ten minutes now.

His war diaries are some of the most tragically funny books I have ever read. I first found them in Waterstones, and had a flick through them and ended up in one of their chairs laughing out loud. They convey a real sense of cameraderie, humour and sadness right the way through the war, and give a real insight into how his experiences shaped his later life; he was a manic depressive plagued with what would now be called PTSD. A true pioneer of madcap alternative comedy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There were a few programs on the BBC about him and his work recently, I think it was Radio 7 (damn you BBC, changing it to 4extra :(). Unfortunately they're not on iPlayer now.

The man was a comedy genius, and his work still makes people laugh today.

flymo

Established Member
I loved old Spike, The Goons were just hilarious. As for his war memoirs, I remember buying one in Manchester on one of my trips down there and starting to read it in the waiting room on P13/14. I was in hysterics at him describing a smokers cough to the point there were tears running down my face and my sides were aching. Got a few strange glances from others mind.:D

I've got an old copy of the Mukkinese Battle Horn somewhere, must look it out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.