• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split Season Ticket - Different Operators

Status
Not open for further replies.

NestorNastor

Hi,
I am aware that the national rail conditions of travel allow a split season ticket even if the train does not stop at the station split on.
I.e. a season from Sheffield to Kettering and Kettering to London - the train from Sheffield to London would not have to stop at Kettering.
What I am wondering is if this applies even if no train would ever stop at the intermediary station - or that the stations are only serviced by different operators.

e.g. Kettering to Harpenden and Harpenden to London Thameslink

There is no Kettering service that stops at Harpenden - but if one boarded the fast train from Kettering to London they would pass through Harpenden, right? If you were actually travelling to Harpenden you would have to change at Bedford.
So would this combination of season tickets be valid for a person travelling between Kettering and London?

Thanks!

Mods: Feel free to delete this post if you feel like this is giving away information on a loophole - it doesn't seem to me like it is since this is just a split ticket rather than some kind of complicated route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi,
I am aware that the national rail conditions of travel allow a split season ticket even if the train does not stop at the station split on.
I.e. a season from Sheffield to Kettering and Kettering to London - the train from Sheffield to London would not have to stop at Kettering.
What I am wondering is if this applies even if no train would ever stop at the intermediary station - or that the stations are only serviced by different operators.

e.g. Kettering to Harpenden and Harpenden to London Thameslink

There is no Kettering service that stops at Harpenden - but if one boarded the fast train from Kettering to London they would pass through Harpenden, right? If you were actually travelling to Harpenden you would have to change at Bedford.
So would this combination of season tickets be valid for a person travelling between Kettering and London?

Thanks!

Mods: Feel free to delete this post if you feel like this is giving away information on a loophole - it doesn't seem to me like it is since this is just a split ticket rather than some kind of complicated route.
You just have to obey any route and/or operator restrictions on either ticket; if there are no relevant restrictions then it's absolutely fine.

Are there any cases of stations with platforms on only some of the lines, with the risk that a train that normally "passes through" the station (on a line with a platform) might, on occasion, be routed through on a line without a platform, and so leave you theoretically vulnerable to having your split disallowed? (On the basis that if there isn't a platform, you arguably aren't passing through the station)?

jfollows

Established Member
Are there any cases of stations with platforms on only some of the lines, with the risk that a train that normally "passes through" the station (on a line with a platform) might, on occasion, be routed through on a line without a platform, and so leave you theoretically vulnerable to having your split disallowed? (On the basis that if there isn't a platform, you arguably aren't passing through the station)?
You're inventing rules which don't exist, I suggest.
If the train does not need to call at the station, such as in the case of split season tickets or similar, then it makes no difference which line the train uses to pass through the station.
Your argument that a through line isn't passing through the station because it has no platform has no basis in anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.