• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split ticket at request stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm making a journey where its cheaper to split my journey at a request stop.

What are the rules regarding this?

Should I tell the guard that I want to slight there, then when the train stops, tell them I'm staying on board?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member

Should I tell the guard that I want to slight there, then when the train stops, tell them I'm staying on board?
Just show both the tickets and explain you're staying on the train. As long as the train is advertised to call there when you board, it's fine.

So an RPI told me a few years back when I had split tickets somewhere and it was announced that we'd have to divert and miss that station, at least!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Concur with @185143 and @AlterEgo. Just inform the guard of your ticket combination and let them know that you don't intend to alight at the request stop.

You really don't want the train to be stopping unnecessarily at a request stop and then no-one getting off or on.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Just show both the tickets and explain you're staying on the train. As long as the train is advertised to call there when you board, it's fine.

So an RPI told me a few years back when I had split tickets somewhere and it was announced that we'd have to divert and miss that station, at least!
Years ago I had tickets from Paddington to Bristol (or somewhere in that direction) with a split at Didcot. I was most surprised when the train turned left at Reading and headed down the Berks and Hants line but not an eyelid was batted when the tickets were checked.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Perfectly legitimate, the train is scheduled to call at the request stop and that is all that matters. Split ticket retailers will happily sell tickets splitting at request stops, in case you want something to demonstrate your itinerary is 'valid'.

If the conductor comes round to check tickets before the request stop, just let them know that you will be staying on as you are splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.