• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split ticketing to access Manchester trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuchananGB

My wife and I intend to visit Manchester to look at the Christmas markets. We may want to use the trams while we are there. Our ENCTS passes issued by Lancashire CC are not valid on Manchester trams.
We intend to use Northern Duo tickets, as only one of us has a valid Railcard.
As I read things, TfGM allow unlimited use of the trams in the city centre for holders of rail tickets originating in GM.
A Duo Southport to Manchester Stations is £19.50
1-Day travelcard on the tram in zone 1 only is £1.80 each
A Duo Southport to Appley Bridge is £11.70
A Duo Appley Bridge to Manchester Central Zone (MCZ) (includes trams) is £9.70.

It seems to me that It would cost us £23.10 if we bought tickets to Manchester Stations then travelcards on the trams, but £21.40 is be used split ticketing at Appley Bridge.
I tried this out on the trainsplit web site but it offered no tickets to MCZ either from Southport or Appley Bridge.

Would the split ticketing solution work, and if so how likely is the Merseyrail ticket office at Southport to sell me the tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
You'll have no problem getting the first ticket at Southport but the second one I am not so sure. In theory it should be fine but in reality it is a hopeless ticket office. I've had cad experiences getting anything slightly different from Southport.

Worst case, get the first ticket from Southport and ask the guard on the Northern service to sell you the second. If so let them know before boarding.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Does Southport only have Merseyrail TVMs? If not, should be able to buy online and collect both tickets?

kieron

Established Member
If an online retailer can sell an Appley Bridge-Manchester Duo ticket, it will be to MCZ as those are the only ones available.

JBuchananGB

I don't think Southport has any TVMs. If it has then they are only Merseyrail with no ToD capability. I looked at online retailer, and they don't offer the Duo for departure on the 1818 from Manchester Piccadilly, on which it is undoubtedly valid. I will investigate whether I can get an m-ticket or e-ticket using a suitable app.

Tazi Hupefi

Is this in December I wonder?

Duo tickets aren't normally available if so.

Duo ticket for two adults travelling together, returning the same day. Available on trains timed to depart after 0900 Mondays to Fridays - return any time the same day except for trains timed to depart Manchester Stations between 1601 - 1759 inclusive. Weekends and bank holidays, available on any train. Duo tickets not available weekends during December. Find out more on our Duo

Tazi Hupefi

Just seen another page on the same website that says now available!

Duo tickets are a great way to get out and about by train whilst saving a little cash. There's no need for a Railcard either, simply buy your ticket and travel together to save 25%. Duo tickets are now available in December!

JBuchananGB

Northern Rail web site says
Duo tickets are a great way to get out and about by train whilst saving a little cash. There's no need for a Railcard either, simply buy your ticket and travel together to save 25%. Duo tickets are now available in December!
Anyway the trip is planned for November 29.
I looked on my phone app and established that e-ticket or m-ticket not available.

I might visit my nearest Northern TVM at Meols Cop to get the tickets.

gray1404

Established Member
The last time I went to use the TVM at Meols Cop it was out of service. If you are going to be in Liverpool or Preston before 29th (assuming you can use your concessionary pass to get to either of those) then I'd collect the tickets from there.

JBuchananGB

I have a few options now.

I will ask a supplementary question on similar topic. A few months ago I went to Bury to visit the East Lancs railway. I have to admit I drove there because I wanted to be there by about 10.30, and couldn't figure out a sensible way using public transport.
Now I see the TfGM allow through ticketing, would it be possible using Senior Railcard to do something like: dep Southport on 0852 with Anytime Return to Hindley. Purchase from guard an Off peak return from Hindley to Bury via tram. The 0852 ex Southport departs Hindley 0930. This would get me to Bury Metrolink at 10.39.

How would I find out the fares for the train/tram ticket?

janb

Just seen another page on the same website that says now available!

Yes, Duos will now be available on weekends in December. Sadly not all information sources have been updated. Hopefully will be pushed hard this week to staff and customers or else I can foresee confrontations/overpaying.

Barnsley

Southport on 0852 with Anytime Return to Hindley. Purchase from guard an Off peak return from Hindley to Bury via tram. The 0852 ex Southport departs Hindley 0930. This would get me to Bury Metrolink at 10.39.

You would need to buy a Daysaver Tm which is a Day Ticket for Train and Tram in the TfGM area, they are £9.00, if Southport have difficulty finding it, they are the 'Manual Fares, 'Rangers and Rovers' section, the ticket code is GM3, just checked now, it is there!

Rail Ranger

I have a few options now.

I will ask a supplementary question on similar topic. A few months ago I went to Bury to visit the East Lancs railway. I have to admit I drove there because I wanted to be there by about 10.30, and couldn't figure out a sensible way using public transport.
Now I see the TfGM allow through ticketing, would it be possible using Senior Railcard to do something like: dep Southport on 0852 with Anytime Return to Hindley. Purchase from guard an Off peak return from Hindley to Bury via tram. The 0852 ex Southport departs Hindley 0930. This would get me to Bury Metrolink at 10.39.

How would I find out the fares for the train/tram ticket?

The website www.brfares.com shows through through fares from any rail station to any Metrolink station. Your ticket would an off-peak day return from Hindley to Metrolink zones 1 to 4, which is £8.60: http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=HIN&dest=L014. Railcard discounts are not available on these through fares.

Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member
From 15th December the quickest way to Bury from Southport, would be train to Bolton, then the 471 bus from Bolton Interchange (connected to the rail station) to Bury Interchange. The bus runs every 10 mins and takes 25 minutes. The 2 trains per hour from Southport to Manchester will both go via Bolton. Cost £6.95 off peak day return with railcard then free on bus with ENCTS pass.

JBuchananGB

Your ticket would an off-peak day return from Hindley to Metrolink zones 1 to 4, which is £8.60
How on earth an ordinary mortal is supposed to find this out is beyond me. I trawled the TfGM web site and all I could find was something called "System One"
https://systemonetravel.co.uk/travelcard-finder
Travelcards for bus, train and tram across Greater Manchester. Available for 1, 7 and 28 days with an annual option also available.
You would need to buy a Daysaver Tm which is a Day Ticket for Train and Tram in the TfGM area, they are £9.00, if Southport have difficulty finding it, they are the 'Manual Fares, 'Rangers and Rovers' section, the ticket code is GM3, just checked now, it is there!
Presumably the difference between @Rail Ranger suggestion and @Barnsley suggestion is that one is an out-and-back return, and the other is a go-anywhere rover on Metrolink.
From 15th December the quickest way to Bury from Southport, would be train to Bolton, then the 471 bus from Bolton Interchange (connected to the rail station) to Bury Interchange.
I was aware that the timetable would be changing in December, to provide alternating services from Southport to Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly, but I hadn't picked up that they would all be routed via Bolton. The current services are all via Atherton. No doubt someone will be unhappy, but that's another story.
That will change the equation slightly for journeys from Southport to Manchester/Bury, as there will be a 9.31 departure suitable for off-peak tickets and Duos, as compared to the current 9.24 departure.

As for the planned outing on 29th November, having reviewed the Christmas Market situation, we have decided we won't need the trams, will just buy the Duo, go out on the 10.24 and come back on the 18.18 from Piccadilly! But all this information will come in useful in future.

gray1404

Established Member
Northern should really consider putting a TVM at Southport of theirs, even if it is TOD only collection.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Northern should really consider putting a TVM at Southport of theirs, even if it is TOD only collection.

One at Ormskirk would be nice. Or just someone force Merseyrail's hand on the matter, e.g. threaten to throw them out of RSP unless they stop being obstructive about ticketing. (If they were thrown out Northern would have to put their own ticketing facilities in at interchanges).

They won't even allow e-ticketing/m-ticketing, which is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.