• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Split Tickets and TOC Obligations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felix A

Hi everyone,

I will soon be travelling from Machester to London on a split tLNER from LDS to KGX. THe train I intend on getting from Leeds is the 2015, the last Leeds to London service. If I miss this due to a delay on Northern's part, are they still obliged to get me to my final destination (i.e.) London / pay for overnight accomodation.

Many Thanks,
Felix

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I will soon be travelling from Machester to London on a split tLNER from LDS to KGX. THe train I intend on getting from Leeds is the 2015, the last Leeds to London service. If I miss this due to a delay on Northern's part, are they still obliged to get me to my final destination (i.e.) London / pay for overnight accomodation.

Many Thanks,
Felix
Yes, the fact that you have a combination of tickets doesn't change the fact that you are making one journey (as per Condition 14 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel).

Your profile suggests you're 14, so I'd take particular measures in case Northern or LNER decide to strand you (in breach of their contract with you). Make sure you have enough money, and a suitable plan, to get a taxi to your destination or somewhere else you can stay the night, it they do end up stranding you. You will be able to recover your reasonable costs afterwards.

gray1404

Established Member
I agree with the above. If they were to make you stranded and not offer you either a transport alternative or overnight accommodation then you are also entitled to return to your origin station i.e. Manchester (most likely trains still running) and get a refund on your tickets. You could even ask if you can return to Manchester and travel the next day. I know it should not come to this but if you have a place to stay in Manchester then that beats spending the night in Leeds at your own expense.

_toommm_

Established Member
Make sure you leave 10 minutes minimum between the time your train is booked to arrive in Leeds from Manchester and the time your next train departs from Leeds to London - this is the minimum connection time at the station and must be observed, although if you're betting on catching the last train of the night to London, for your own peace of mind, you may look at leaving more time if possible.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi everyone,

Many Thanks,
Felix
Yes they are. See Advance Fare FAQs in the internal KnowledgeBase (iKB), a copy of which is in our fares guide: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...1-ticket-types-conditions.70018/#post-1179550

In order to reduce potential arguments, and to make your contractual position absolutely clear, you might want to book your entire journey in one transaction, preferably using a website that will give you a through itinerary, which is good evidence of a contract for your journey.

island

Veteran Member
And I would add to the above that whatever the entitlements, you should ensure you have with you enough cash or access to money (e.g. a debit card) to enable you to get yourself to a place of safety in the event that things go wrong and the train companies fail to assist adequately.

philthetube

Established Member
Although being stranded would be down to Northern would the initial action taken to get the op to London be taken by Northern or LNER?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Although being stranded would be down to Northern would the initial action taken to get the op to London be taken by Northern or LNER?
NRCoT requires any company in a position to help to do so, but it would be Northern who are liable for the cost of providing this.

Felix A

Thanks everyone for the advice. I do have suitable funds if it comes to taking a taxi to London (providing Northern give me the money back I'm only 14!). And yes I have ensured a 10 min connection at Leeds as I am aware of these restrictions. I've got the Virgin up and LNER down now. All I'm waiting for is Northern to release advances for the 18th May (which seems to be taking a wile)

Many thanks all.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think that any TOC would (rightly) be concerned about suddenly finding themselves with responsibility for an unaccompanied 14 year old, and would want to be very certain that they are acting in accordance with the wishes of not just that child but also the parent(s) or guardian. For that reason I think it is highly unlikely that a hotel would be considered and this would likely affect the potential destination of any taxi. In the event of being unable to consult the those with legal responsibility for the child I would expect the police to become involved (from the point of view of the child's safety/welfare).

_toommm_

Established Member
In a way, the fact that you're 14, and a fair bit away from home and your destination may work in your favour too, if the worst came to the worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.