StackExchange Travel - user's ticket printed with inappropriate restriction code

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Muzer, 4 Jul 2017.

1. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

Just thought this might be of interest to some on here:

https://travel.stackexchange.com/qu...th-restriction-forcing-use-of-specific-trains
    Why would an off-peak return have printed with a restriction code that's clearly more suited to an advance?

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Jul 2017
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. hairyhandedfool

hairyhandedfool Established Member

There have been an awful lot of errors cropping up on tickets in recent times, most notably since the fares change in May. I suspect this is just another one of them, the restriction should be I1 ("not valid on trains timed to depart after 0429 and before 0930", which in itself is stupid wording for "not valid on trains timed to depart between 0429 and 0930"). I'll see if I can get this passed on, but without knowing where the ticket was collected it might be difficult to resolve. I would assume Hull, but i don't know who has what machines there and all the important information is covered up in the picture.

4. Muzer

Muzer Established Member

From StackExchange:

5. hairyhandedfool

Thank you kindly, I'll pass that on.

6. tspaul26

tspaul26 Member

The latter wording invites the question of whether the prohibited time period is inclusive or exclusive of the start and end times. The former wording is clearer because it does not have this ambiguity.

7. furlong

furlong Established Member

Cross-check by asking what price was paid / printed on the ticket - covered up in the photo - and ask for the 4-digit code after the / following the ToD CTR.

8. hairyhandedfool

I would have thought the word "between" would be enough for most people as 0930 isn't between 0429 and 0930. However, if that is such an issue you could equally have "not valid on trains timed to depart between 0430 and 0929 inclusive"