• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

staff parking

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrenA

Hello everyone.
Just a thought I had, does anyone know if there are staff car parking at London depots, such as Blackfriars, Kings Cross, Liverpool st. All TOC make it clear you need to be able to get a depot within a particular timescale, and London has a fair amount of choices, but would there be anywhere to park.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E-Rail

FCC stated in a recent job advert for KX drivers that due to lack of car parking, all applicants must be able to reach work by public transport. Not sure if this is the same for East Coast though.

Driving to work at any of the London termini would be costly, they're all in the congestion charge zone I think.

steamybrian

Established Member
There is very little if any staff car parking at any of the main London terminal stations. I also recommend that you avoid driving into Central London and suggest use public transport.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hello everyone.
Just a thought I had, does anyone know if there are staff car parking at London depots, such as Blackfriars, Kings Cross, Liverpool st. All TOC make it clear you need to be able to get a depot within a particular timescale, and London has a fair amount of choices, but would there be anywhere to park.

Most London rail staff use public transport to get to work; a high proportion also travel a considerable distance, an hour being pretty typical.

When you go to the interview, ask what the earliest starts and latest finishes are. Be clear what you can get into work for. Ask if they have car parking available; there may, for example be permits you can borrow on a daily basis, should public transport not be available. That usually means Sunday mornings. FCC also had (may still have) a taxi agreement, where transport to work was not available.

London based traincrew management are well aware of the "getting to work" issue. Fair to say that they would sooner see a candidate who was trying to make sure that he could fulfil his obligations, than one who took the job, then whinged about getting into work for 0530!
Ask directly; don't assume, and don't listen to second hand info.

Geargrinder

Most London rail staff use public transport to get to work; a high proportion also travel a considerable distance, an hour being pretty typical.

When you go to the interview, ask what the earliest starts and latest finishes are. Be clear what you can get into work for. Ask if they have car parking available; there may, for example be permits you can borrow on a daily basis, should public transport not be available. That usually means Sunday mornings. FCC also had (may still have) a taxi agreement, where transport to work was not available.

London based traincrew management are well aware of the "getting to work" issue. Fair to say that they would sooner see a candidate who was trying to make sure that he could fulfil his obligations, than one who took the job, then whinged about getting into work for 0530!

In fact E&W lucas's advice would apply to any large town or city. Do you get staff parking at Sheffield, Bristol, liverpool etc. A friend of mine recently joined the police got posted to Lincoln and found police officers cant park in the police station car park !

E-Rail

I read somewhere that the majority of EC KGX crews live in Peterborough. That must be quite a mission to get to and from work on earlies and lates.

Safety365

Driving to work at any of the London termini would be costly, they're all in the congestion charge zone I think.

Central London Termini/Major Stations with Drivers/Train Crew Depots that are inside and outside of the London Congestion Charge Zone:

Victoria technically used to be in the CC Zone when the Western Extension existed, but the station car park could be accessed by using the free through route that bordered the original CC Zone and the Extension.

Outside the CC Zone:

Marylebone, Euston, St Pancras, Kings Cross, Victoria and Paddington

Indside the CC Zone:
Liverpool Street, London Bridge, Waterloo, Charing Cross, Blackfriars and possibly Fenchurch Street (is there a C2C depot here or is it at East Ham?)

W230

Established Member
Hello everyone.
Not sure about Liverpool Street but King's Cross has limited parking spaces available. Blackfriars depot is classed as non-residential (there are I believe only three spaces for the whole depot!) so staff are provided a taxi from their home address to the station for the 5am starts etc. FCC pick up that bill at present...

barrykas

Established Member
Marylebone has (limited) staff parking at the front of the station in Melcombe Place, though this is also used by Network Rail and occasionally by contractors carrying out work in the station. A specific permit is required, which has to be renewed each year.

Paddington has a staff car park beyond the public car park, with vehicle access from Bishop's Bridge Road and pedestrian access via Platform 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.