• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff + Passengers work together to free trapped woman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeonion

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/photo/20130722-660085-1-L.jpg

It would take a few guesses to work out what's actually happening in that photo!

A woman fell down the gap between the train and the platform at JR Minami Urawa station and the dispatcher encouraged passengers to get out and push so the train would lean slightly so she could be pulled out. The result was applause, one shaken but uninjured passenger and a train delayed only by 8 minutes!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Do that here and I expect you'd have at least one more person falling down!

bronzeonion

jon0844

Veteran Member
I am sure we could get things going again after an incident quite quickly too, but suspect that we live in a country/age where we want an inquiry into just about everything, before being able to apportion blame and see if there's any legal case to answer - as bronzeonion has already suggested.

Maybe their priorities are different? I like Japan for so many reasons, but do wonder about how they seem to sweep some problems under the carpet. If this hadn't been photographed, chances are nobody would have ever known.

bronzeonion

I am sure we could get things going again after an incident quite quickly too, but suspect that we live in a country/age where we want an inquiry into just about everything, before being able to apportion blame and see if there's any legal case to answer - as bronzeonion has already suggested.

Maybe their priorities are different? I like Japan for so many reasons, but do wonder about how they seem to sweep some problems under the carpet. If this hadn't been photographed, chances are nobody would have ever known.

I think the dispatcher saw it happen right in front of him, so there would have been no need as he knew exactly what happened and saw nothing sinister was involved.

It also did make headline news with articles with and without photos.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
And waiting for the police means more delays.
Delays are the enemy.

robvulpes

Over here, railway staff would be under standing instruction to dissuade/prevent this "amateur" assistance happening, for fear that the fallen passenger or someone else would be further injured and the company sued for not following safe working practices. It would be a case of 'wait for the fire brigade/trained breakdown crew, no matter how long it took'.

Rob

Established Member
I think that if this had happened over here, aside from what Bronzeonion has mentioned, you would have other passengers refusing to move off the train, refuse to help and then film it on there mobile phones showing the poor person suffering and the staff trying to keep the person comfortable. I truly believe this is a cultural thing. The Japanese tend to value life, more than we do over here.

Yew

Established Member
The Japanese tend to value life, more than we do over here.

I disagree, I think if anything its the opposite, just look at the bridge over the Kwai. I think its a hand me down from the samurai culture of 'Do what you are told or be killed'

Bayum

Established Member
I think that if this had happened over here, aside from what Bronzeonion has mentioned, you would have other passengers refusing to move off the train, refuse to help and then film it on there mobile phones showing the poor person suffering and the staff trying to keep the person comfortable. I truly believe this is a cultural thing. The Japanese tend to value life, more than we do over here.

I wouldn't say they value 'life' more than anyone else, don't most people value their lives unless suicidal or otherwise?

The Japanese actually are a very 'we-centred' people. Within their psychologies and lives they are taught from a young age to respect their elders and to live as a family unit, therefore valuing the community aspect.

As such, this is actually probably quite a common occurrence. Maybe not moving a commuter train, but perhaps being less self centres and thinking about others more.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Bingo.

SS4

Established Member
Perhaps there is no attribution of blame in Japan. Whether justified or not there is fear that helping may end up in being sued. Of course our rolling stock doesn't tilt for the most part

bronzeonion

Perhaps there is no attribution of blame in Japan. Whether justified or not there is fear that helping may end up in being sued. Of course our rolling stock doesn't tilt for the most part

You're quite right there
The train doesn't actually tilt but the air suspension is so soft (I was walking through a similiar train and the cars would bounce slightly when putting my weight onto the next car!) and the cars are so light it is possible to do this!

Status
Not open for further replies.