• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
I know, i was referring to hospital staff.

Ah fair enough. According to a mate who works there they sneak off into the car park for a crafty puff. She doesn't think many of them bother to change apart from popping their jackets on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikw

I have no problem at all seeing staff vaping - if they're drinking special brew on the other hand then that's different....

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I just saw a number of GWR staff waiting outside the main entrance to Cardiff Central vaping. Not a good look. Presumably TOC’s don’t mind uniformed staff vaping in public view?
Cathays station staff vape AND smoke outside right the front doors of the adjacent Cardiff Uni ABACWS building instead and I am SICK of it.

Somewhere

I just saw a number of GWR staff waiting outside the main entrance to Cardiff Central vaping. Not a good look. Presumably TOC’s don’t mind uniformed staff vaping in public view?
Its not an issue

D365

Veteran Member
Cathays station staff vape AND smoke outside right the front doors of the adjacent Cardiff Uni ABACWS building instead and I am SICK of it.
I'm sure other cities & venues have this problem too, but from my own experience, the ventilation systems for the underground lecture theatres at University of Sheffield pull in air from ground level... no amount of "No Smoking" signage will stop people from actually doing it, especially when the building exterior provides a convenient windbreak.

Gemz91

I agree it looks unprofessional, how ever, it’s probably unreasonable to expect staff not to vape for a whole 9+ hour shift (should that be their thing). I can only think of two locations in my area where staff can vape/vape in staff only areas.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The done thing at my old (gateline/RPI) job used to be to do it outside of the staff entrance to any station (usually around the back) with your hi-vis off. The public could probably still see you, but far fewer than if you stood at the main entrance.

I'm sure other cities & venues have this problem too, but from my own experience, the ventilation systems for the underground lecture theatres at University of Sheffield pull in air from ground level... no amount of "No Smoking" signage will stop people from actually doing it, especially when the building exterior provides a convenient windbreak.
Indeed they do - I recall many lectures at Sheffield with the odd waft of cig ash out of nowhere.

peterblue

I don't think it's an issue at all if it's in a somewhat isolated and/or well ventilated area. I know vape fumes generally aren't tolerable for some people with breathing difficulties, so it would generally be best done in an area not near the main entrance or thoroughfare where possible.

Some staff need to smoke/vape and that's a fact of life. I wouldn't consider it unprofessional if I saw someone in a railway uniform off-duty vaping, taking a phone call, or eating McDonalds.

LowLevel

Established Member
From a lifetime non smoker - who cares?

If they've got a nicotine habit they've got to do it somewhere, if they're outside then such is life.

Snow1964

Established Member
I know vape fumes generally aren't tolerable for some people with breathing difficulties
The railway has thought of that, It's called Bylaw 6(8):

"No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway."

So if vaping caused discomfort or standing around inconveniences anyone walking, then if bylaws are enforced could be covered.

Wolfie

Established Member
The railway has thought of that, It's called Bylaw 6(8):

"No person shall molest or wilfully interfere with the comfort or convenience of any person on the railway."

So if vaping caused discomfort or standing around inconveniences anyone walking, then if bylaws are enforced could be covered.
Of course outside station entrances probably isn't "on the railway"....

danbarjon

I think most people couldn't care less whether the staff vape or smoke, most people are just happy to have good service and a reliable train service. It's nobody's place to judge anyone...

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Call me old-fashioned but smoking and vaping in view of customers whilst in full uniform is unprofessional. Whenever I've visited Bristol Temple Meads I've found it particularly unpleasant. You exit the station and greeted with diesel fumes from the taxis, smoke from cigarettes and clouds of vapes to walkthrough. Although to be fair Temple Meads need to make main entrance/exit no smoking for everyone.

I would have thought most TOC uniform policies prohibit this already. My TOC does not allow consumption of food in view of customers let alone smoking.
I agree. It's well known that smoking and vaping is not allowed on trains or at stations. What kind of example does it set to passengers if rail staff are publicly indulging in the very anti-social behaviour they're supposed to be discouraging?

moonie95

I agree. It's well known that smoking and vaping is not allowed on trains or at stations. What kind of example does it set to passengers if rail staff are publicly indulging in the very anti-social behaviour they're supposed to be discouraging?
It’s outside of the station. Smoking/vaping not permitted in stations or on trains

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
It’s outside of the station. Smoking/vaping not permitted in stations or on trains
Yes, I know, but the point remains that vaping in public is a very anti-social behaviour and certainly not something staff in uniform should be doing. Supposing a guard on a train spots someone vaping and tells them to stop doing it? If that person responds with "but I saw you vaping outside the station just now" than it undermines their credibility, doesn't it?

lachlan

I think it's inconsiderate to smoke/vape directly outside the entrance to a station, like any other building. Same with smoking or vaping at a bus stop. Stand somewhere that doesn't force people just using the station to breathe your smoke.

I have also experienced this at Temple Meads.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yes, I know, but the point remains that vaping in public is a very anti-social behaviour and certainly not something staff in uniform should be doing. Supposing a guard on a train spots someone vaping and tells them to stop doing it? If that person responds with "but I saw you vaping outside the station just now" than it undermines their credibility, doesn't it?
Well no, because one is being told not to vape where it is forbidden, by someone who is doing it where it is allowed. What next - telling someone off for using their phone in the quiet coach, to be told to sod off because the guard was using their mobile outside the station? :lol:

Recently saw a group of I think three uniformed staff smoking openly on the busy platform. Not very consistent with all the no smoking signs/announcements

Lewisham2221

Established Member

Antisocial behaviour is defined as 'behaviour by a person which causes, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to persons not of the same household as the person'

I'd hardly say that vaping meets the definition of antisocial, certainly not very antisocial. Inconsiderate behaviour, at worst.

lxfe_mxtterz

My TOC does not allow consumption of food in view of customers.
What a ridiculous rule. Are traincrew supposed to be superhuman beings who supposedly don't eat?*

I've taken many-a-PNB on platform benches happily chomping away at some food and never had a problem. In fact, it's pretty prevalent that many non-London based crews don't like to use the messroom at Waterloo, so you'll often see staff taking their PNB on the balcony or by the new Sidings shopping centre.

*Although I suppose some passengers do think we are superhuman with some of the stuff we get asked. :lol:

virgintrain1

What a ridiculous rule. Are traincrew supposed to be superhuman beings who supposedly don't eat?*

I've taken many-a-PNB on platform benches happily chomping away at some food and never had a problem. In fact, it's pretty prevalent that many non-London based crews don't like to use the messroom at Waterloo, so you'll often see staff taking their PNB on the balcony or by the new Sidings shopping centre.

*Although I suppose some passengers do think we are superhuman with some of the stuff we get asked. :lol:
When away from railway property I don't think anyone minds but when on railway property it's messrooms or non public parts of the train officially, but that does mean PNBs have to be rostered to a suitable messroom that meets the relevant standards and if that is not possible/ messroom fails and inspection then the diagram can be refused.

lxfe_mxtterz

Messrooms or non public parts of the train officially, but that does mean PNBs have to be rostered to a suitable messroom that meets the relevant standards and if that is not possible/ messroom fails and inspection then the diagram can be refused.
I do believe it's the same at my TOC.

Although I do often take PNBs on platforms and at stations where I don't know the code or the walk to the messroom is more hassle than it's worth. There's a particular station where the journey to the messroom is like an Everest expedition - three sets of stairs, three code doors and a trek across a car park away.

HST274

It's relatively common. I've seen network rail staff doing so, and it's just something to do on a break. From someone who takes a dim view of vaping myself!

DanNCL

Established Member
Really don’t see the issue here.

End of the day as long as it’s not in a designated no smoking area and it isn’t preventing them from carrying out their jobs properly then it’s a non-issue.

Obviously if there’s a dedicated staff smoking area then they should use it but if there isn’t one then what’s the alternative to standing outside the station in the street? You can’t ban people from smoking/vaping during their break.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I was in Wetherspoons for breakfast a few weeks ago. A member of kitchen staff was sat at a table, eating and using her mobile phone. Should I complain? Go to the press? Or get a grip, considering it had absolutely zero impact on my meal, my experience or my day.

sheff1

Established Member
Staff need time to get out in the fresh air and smoke/vape if they wish too.
Fresh air and smoking/vaping don't really go together.

Smoking/vaping is banned immediately outside the entrance at a number of stations and I would welcome this being the case more widely. If, however, smoking/vaping is allowed in an area whether someone is wearing a uniform whilst doing so is neither here nor there - the amount of smoke/vape being expelled will be exactly the same.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was in Wetherspoons for breakfast a few weeks ago. A member of kitchen staff was sat at a table, eating and using her mobile phone. Should I complain? Go to the press? Or get a grip, considering it had absolutely zero impact on my meal, my experience or my day.
False equivalence.

There is no way I'd be vaping or smoking (if I engaged in such activities) right by the entrance to any workplace I've ever worked at, and I wouldn't expect such actions to be considered acceptable. I've never known any colleague do this, and nor would I ever expect to.

Bluejays

Recently saw a group of I think three uniformed staff smoking openly on the busy platform. Not very consistent with all the no smoking signs/announcements
Now that is wrong. Really poor form, and I'd hope someone has a word with them.

As for the problems certain people have with staff daring to vape outside the station. Not even sure where to start.... Apart from to say that this forum absolutely amazes me sometimes. Obviously if they're standing right in the doorway it's a bit antisocial, but I'd find it hard to believe that that's what they were doing.

dk1

Veteran Member

At my local spoons the staff that smoke have their meal breaks eating in the smoking area or at other times near the cellar door. Nothing wrong with that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.