• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
I totally fail to understand why anyone at all cares about this. The air is full of far more noxious things than Glycerine/Propylene Glycol vapour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I totally fail to understand why anyone at all cares about this. The air is full of far more noxious things than Glycerine/Propylene Glycol vapour.
Seriously? You don't believe vapers - rail staff or otherwise - blowing a cloud of carcinogenic smoke in people's faces counts as anti-social behaviour?

Established Member
Seriously? You don't believe vapers - rail staff or otherwise - blowing a cloud of carcinogenic smoke in people's faces counts as anti-social behaviour?

Until such time as it’s made generally illegal to smoke or vape outdoors, people - rail staff or otherwise - are perfectly at liberty to continue to do so, regardless of whether you find it anti social.

Envoy

Established Member
Many thanks everyone for your comments thus far.

I wonder what the attitude to vaping in public whilst by your workplace is in other professions? Do we see airline crews hanging around the entrances to airports vaping? What about teachers vaping in the yard surrounded by the children or at the entrance in the mornings? How about the police - are they in public view having a vape? Shop workers - well my local Tesco seem to have a place around the side of the store but I don’t see staff from John Lewis hanging out by the entrance having a puff.

It appears that disposable vapes are going to banned - and quite rightly so. I am fed up with seeing the things just discarded all over the place. They get carried by heavy rain into gutters and eventually go down drains to bung up the drainage system. Plastics getting into rivers and seas is another problem yet these people who just cast their used vapes to the ground are part of the problem. If you do this, I regard you as anti social low life who are not doing good for society as a whole.

Then we have the problem of the batteries - which have been known to explode in bin lorries thus causing a threat to the safety of staff.

The Senedd plan to ban vapes. You can read about this here.

• three single-use vapes are disposed of incorrectly in the UK each second;
  • three out of four users are unaware of how to dispose of the vapes correctly; and
  • a similar proportion is unaware vapes contain lithium batteries.

Neptune

Established Member
As someone who has twice had cancer linked to smoking whilst having never personally smoked in my life (passive smoking was the reason given) then I fully understand why people care about smoking or even vaping.

Whilst it’s not illegal and thankfully it is now forbidden in enclosed settings (the probable reason I got cancer such as time spent in smoky messrooms, pubs etc) I find it extremely strange that despite all the warnings about how it can affect your health, indeed life, people still do smoke and seemingly don’t care who breathes their invasive killer habit into their lungs involuntarily.

For me it should be banned in all public places, anything to prevent non smokers suffering what I had to twice through no fault of my own.

Do we even know the full risks of vaping yet? It looks pretty pathetic in my opinion watching people hugging these little machines like a child with a blanket and blowing plumes of sick smelling crap over people directly from their lungs.

virgintrain1

Irrelevant but for anyone interested here is British Airways uniform policy, especially if you have never had to follow one. It certainly goes into minute detail of what you can and can't do. (Prohibits smoking anywhere with exception of designated stuff smoking areas).

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
I don't think the 'disgust' is about vaping in general, it is about doing it in uniform, in view of customers arriving.

More a question of unprofessional, lowers the tone, seen by some as like having a drunken lout standing outside the entrance (implies lack of care, and thus lack of thought and safety of others). Not going to improve image of pleasant stress free travel experience

jh64

My 'disgust' is definitely about the smell of vaping in general. All the fruity bubblegum vapes stink like sugary puke, at least the smell of tabs makes you think of old pubs!

Envoy

Established Member
I have just read the British Airways uniform policy and think that some of the train companies can learn a thing or two from it. They would certainly never allow vaping by staff in public. I also note that non natural hair colours are forbidden as are visible tattoos - presumably because this gives a downmarket impression.
"The uniform proudly signals the airline’s British heritage and values, through the quality and attention to detail and in the overall professional image to the collection. As a customer facing employee and wearer of the uniform, you represent and uphold the reputation of British Airways every day".
A pity though that BA don’t sort out their customer service which appears to rely on those awful ‘chat boxes’ where you put in a query and an automatic response comes up with the wrong thing. I was on one last week and put in “I want to contact a real human NOW” & was then placed 18th in a queue and when I did get one - it was an Indian call centre. No wonder they have such a terrible ranking on Tripadvisor and in the recent Consumer Association report (Which). Anyway, that’s beside the point and I drift off topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I would of thought that going for a smoke in your uniform was a sackable offence? It certainly is in the food production industry.
I know, i was referring to hospital staff where hygiene is essential.
It is not a sackable offence.

Hospitals have designated smoking areas outside for staff - usually out of public view, but not always

Neptune

Established Member
I also note that non natural hair colours are forbidden as are visible tattoos - presumably because this gives a downmarket impression.
I can’t be bothered reading it but does it start ‘HEAR YE, HEAR YE’.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I have just read the British Airways uniform policy and think that some of the train companies can learn a thing or two from it. They would certainly never allow vaping by staff in public. I also note that non natural hair colours are forbidden as are visible tattoos - presumably because this gives a downmarket impression.
British Airways is an international airline which flies to six continents; airlines have very conservative dress and deportment policies for this reason.

plugwash

Established Member
I don't know about BA specifically but my understanding is that with at least some airlines the base uniform looks pretty generic and the insignia are easilly removable. So you can get "out of uniform" without getting changed into completely new clothes.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
carcinogenic smoke
Fiction. It's neither smoke, nor proven to be carcinogenic.

And the air is filled with other noxious substances - some probably far more so - that you don't see. Like diesel fumes, car exhaust to name just a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.