• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stage 1 Testing ScotRail 1st of Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCC106

Established Member
Took me a good week to complete the application. Being the first hurdle I left no stone unturned and thankfully some of my previous careers have similarities to driving a train.
You were lucky the ad wasn’t pulled early due to volume of applications! Hope all goes really well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G17

Yeah good luck all.

Out of interest has anyone in for Perth/Dundee area heard anything.

Are they likely to be progressing these applications based on specific needs in area?

Katiem211

Yeah good luck all.

Out of interest has anyone in for Perth/Dundee area heard anything.

Are they likely to be progressing these applications based on specific needs in area?
I'm inverness and had no word yet. I'm not sure if they are going by location first?

MT18

I'm inverness and had no word yet. I'm not sure if they are going by location first?

I hope not, I’m applying for Glasgow and think a few might be at the assessment centres for there today.

Clearprop40

Congrats and all the best for your assessment centre tomorrow. I've just received an email confirming I've assessment centre on 14th Feb. Could you please share your experience of the assessment centre afterwards?
Any information is greatly appreciated and will help me prepare. Thank you.
Hi Banksy, for me there was no surprises in terms of expectations. The tests were administered very professionally and regardless if I pass or not I highly commend the HR folks in the way they made us all feel at ease. My cautious advice is leave no stone unturned on preparation and practice all aspects of the test. For me the GLOP test was the hardest as there is similar or very close answers and I guess they are looking for attention to detail. I have read plenty on this forum about people not understanding the context of an individual portion of the tests. Honestly after the thorough briefing you receive and the practice attempts you are given there is absolutely no excuse for anyone to not understand what is expected. I am not prepared to divulge the exactness of the tests as I don't even think it would benefit you anyway. All I can say is the practice material sent out by recruitment is probably adequate preparation and with all honesty for me there wasn't any curveballs or major OMF moments! It's intense you need to really try to be calm and control the adrenaline that will undoubtedly be flowing through your body! I suspect I fluffed one part of the test but it wasn't down to anything other than a bit of nerves clouding my thoughts. I can't reiterate enough that practicing the tests or using some of the paid material available on the web will undoubtedly help your performance. Best of luck mate and I wish you well in your train driving career.
Regards
Kev

LCC106

Established Member
@Clearprop40 thank you for sharing your thoughts and IN PARTICULAR not wishing to divulge too much info. You are either naturally inclined for the role or not and we do see some members wanting to be spoon fed (not suggesting that here) OR spoonfeeding questions and answers… The only OTHER thing I would add is that if you have any questions on the day, for clarification of instructions or otherwise, PLEASE ask them before the assessment starts. The assessors really are there to help!

Clearprop40

@Clearprop40 thank you for sharing your thoughts and IN PARTICULAR not wishing to divulge too much info. You are either naturally inclined for the role or not and we do see some members wanting to be spoon fed (not suggesting that here) OR spoonfeeding questions and answers… The only OTHER thing I would add is that if you have any questions on the day, for clarification of instructions or otherwise, PLEASE ask them before the assessment starts. The assessors really are there to help!

I agree entirely. If you start with any dubiety and then subsequently fail then you'd probably not be suitable for the role. It seems ruthless and I ain't trying to be but it's a job where communication is the most important aspect of the job. Seconded regarding the helpfulness of the assessors. They make you feel at ease and there is never a stupid question or a desire to rush you to start the tests without fully understanding it. Despite the tests assessing your innate ability I still would advocate a disciplined practice regime.
Regards
Kev

Last edited:

CKF

Morning

I submitted an application on 29th Dec, checked the status of application and it just says application submitted but previously said application under consideration.

I suspect my form has been unsuccessful, do you receive notification if your form has been unsuccessful?

Cheers

MT18

I suspect my form has been unsuccessful, do you receive notification if your form has been unsuccessful?

I hope this isn’t the case, mines changed to application submitted last Friday. Does anybody on here know anything about the application statuses etc?

G17

Mines says submitted 22/12/2022 and under it says this application is under consideration. Are peoples different to that?

G17

To be fair my submission date is wrong I didn't submit it until about the 10th of Jan

John Bishop

I hope this isn’t the case, mines changed to application submitted last Friday. Does anybody on here know anything about the application statuses etc?
Don’t read too much into these status messages. My application changed to under consideration a couple of days before starting with the company! Normally you don’t hear anything if you are not successful at the application stages. You will only find out once you commence testing.

banksy169

Hi Banksy, for me there was no surprises in terms of expectations. The tests were administered very professionally and regardless if I pass or not I highly commend the HR folks in the way they made us all feel at ease. My cautious advice is leave no stone unturned on preparation and practice all aspects of the test. For me the GLOP test was the hardest as there is similar or very close answers and I guess they are looking for attention to detail. I have read plenty on this forum about people not understanding the context of an individual portion of the tests. Honestly after the thorough briefing you receive and the practice attempts you are given there is absolutely no excuse for anyone to not understand what is expected. I am not prepared to divulge the exactness of the tests as I don't even think it would benefit you anyway. All I can say is the practice material sent out by recruitment is probably adequate preparation and with all honesty for me there wasn't any curveballs or major OMF moments! It's intense you need to really try to be calm and control the adrenaline that will undoubtedly be flowing through your body! I suspect I fluffed one part of the test but it wasn't down to anything other than a bit of nerves clouding my thoughts. I can't reiterate enough that practicing the tests or using some of the paid material available on the web will undoubtedly help your performance. Best of luck mate and I wish you well in your train driving career.
Regards
Kev
Thank you very much. I hope you get good news. All the best.

Clearprop40

Thank you very much. I hope you get good news. All the best.
Good news received this morning. Stage 1 testing met the standards required. Awaiting confirmation of dates for DMI. How did you get on with the test mate? Did any of them come as a surprise?
Regards
Kev

SallyJesseRaph

Hi folks. Attended the A.C. on 30th Jan and got an email confirming success at that stage on 2nd Feb, advising that further details will follow.

There were 18 people there on the day and we were told the same number were attending on each of the following two days.

Anyone else heard anything yet?

banksy169

Good news received this morning. Stage 1 testing met the standards required. Awaiting confirmation of dates for DMI. How did you get on with the test mate? Did any of them come as a surprise?
Regards
Kev
That's great, congrats to you. My test is on 14 Feb. I have started preparing for it. Do you know if we have to do further tests after the assessment centre or is it the interview?

Hi folks. Attended the A.C. on 30th Jan and got an email confirming success at that stage on 2nd Feb, advising that further details will follow.

There were 18 people there on the day and we were told the same number were attending on each of the following two days.

Anyone else heard anything yet?
Congrats to you. All the best going forward.

AS1990

That's great, congrats to you. My test is on 14 Feb. I have started preparing for it. Do you know if we have to do further tests after the assessment centre or is it the interview?

Assessment Center for first lot of tests, then DMI, followed by another trip to assessment Center for computerised tests. If successful then onto medical.

SallyJesseRaph

Regards
Kev
Hi Kev

Have you heard anything further, following your success email?

Cheers

TriumphRat

Assessment Center for first lot of tests, then DMI, followed by another trip to assessment Center for computerised tests. If successful then onto medical.
Just to add, if successful after the computer tests there is one more interview (MMI) conducted on the same day. Then the medical is the last hurdle.

At least that's how it went for me.

Clearprop40

Hi Kev

Have you heard anything further, following your success email?

Cheers

Nothing further received. The e-mail was basic stating I had met the standard required and a further update on the process will follow.
Regards
Kev

Hi Banksy, there was 6 tests in total
TEA OCC three parts
TRP two parts
Group Bourden
There wasn't anything else.
Regards
Kev

Last edited:

Batz47082

I'm Inverness too, and have received an interview invitation for next week, so maybe you will hear something soon?

Does anyone know what this first interview will entail?

Last edited:

John Bishop

I'm Inverness too, and have received an interview invitation for next week, so maybe you will hear something soon?

Does anyone know what this first interview will entail?
Check the main Scotrail Trainee Drivers thread for everything you need to know about the process!

Status
Not open for further replies.