• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Thought I'd bump this back up with the news Stagecoach are taking on 3A/3B/3C/3X/11/11A/508/513/514/515/625. Which will now make them the second biggest operator in Bristol.

freetoview33

Established Member
It's such a big area to cover. The First South West and Wales thread has become Bristol centric with other threads for South West/Cornwall and Wales!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's such a big area to cover. The First South West and Wales thread has become Bristol centric with other threads for South West/Cornwall and Wales!
There isn’t a separate First Cymru thread, is there? Only First Kernow has been split out.

Given how Bristol is a relatively small part of Stagecoach SW/West/Wales, is does make sense to amalgamate IMO.

Anthony ross

One presumes there must be enough room at the depot to run these new services come September

freetoview33

Established Member
One presumes there must be enough room at the depot to run these new services come September
There is plenty of room and Stagecoach have increased the authorisation at the depot in Patchway/Bristol.

Gloucester - Decrease to 72
Stroud - Decrease to 40
Cheltenham - Increase to 75
Swindon - Decrease to 75
Coleford - Decrease to 8
Bristol - Increase to 45 - This is on top of the Megabus work and few services that SGBC run too.

Charlie M.

What buses will operate these routes then? Not more “let’s send out Gloucester and Cheltenham’s decent buses” please?

carlberry

Established Member
Initially it is meant to be some E200's from Rotala. Which is more than enough for some of the routes. Some extras will be needed though.
They're getting some E200 from Rotala, however it's quite possible that they wont put them into use straight away. Patchway did get a very good allocation from Gloucester to start with so they might want to keep the standard up.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Thought I'd bump this back up with the news Stagecoach are taking on 3A/3B/3C/3X/11/11A/508/513/514/515/625. Which will now make them the second biggest operator in Bristol.
Interesting but not surprising. No sign of anything in the VOSA Bus Registration search for 19th July except cancellation of the Wessex routes but I have read the staff notice in the other thread. I would have thought Optare Solos for the 513-515 (and maybe the 508 which seems to have very few passengers on whenever I see one) and Enviros for the other routes. Good to see the Wessex drivers will not be left without a job too.

Dave

tbtc

Veteran Member
So over the years, Stagecoach have built up a presence in Bristol, Liverpool, Sheffield, Oxford etc without buying the legacy/NBC operation.

For a while, they had reasonable network in Glasgow too (without having bought Strathclyde/ Kelvin Scottish/ Central Scottish).

carlberry

Established Member
So over the years, Stagecoach have built up a presence in Bristol, Liverpool, Sheffield, Oxford etc without buying the legacy/NBC operation.

For a while, they had reasonable network in Glasgow too (without having bought Strathclyde/ Kelvin Scottish/ Central Scottish).
There are lots of areas where Stagecoach wasn't the first purchaser of the operation that it now has. Liverpool was a purchase of part of what used to be the PTE, I thought that the Sheffield operation was an ex NBC operation via it's management team and Oxford was ex NBC via Harry.

RT4038

Established Member
There are lots of areas where Stagecoach wasn't the first purchaser of the operation that it now has. Liverpool was a purchase of part of what used to be the PTE, I thought that the Sheffield operation was an ex NBC operation via it's management team and Oxford was ex NBC via Harry.
Oxford city was via Harry as a start up competitive operation, not ex NBC. The 'country' operations - Witney/Bicester/Wantage were ex NBC. The ex NBC Oxford city operation is the Go-Ahead City of Oxford Motor Services.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Interesting but not surprising. No sign of anything in the VOSA Bus Registration search for 19th July except cancellation of the Wessex routes but I have read the staff notice in the other thread. I would have thought Optare Solos for the 513-515 (and maybe the 508 which seems to have very few passengers on whenever I see one) and Enviros for the other routes. Good to see the Wessex drivers will not be left without a job too.

Dave

I guess that, like much of the country, there's usually a shortage of drivers anyway ?

freetoview33

Established Member
I guess that, like much of the country, there's usually a shortage of drivers anyway ?
It looks like Stagecoach should be fine for drivers in Bristol. There are no jobs advertised at the moment which would suggest they are fully staffed. And Wessex seem to be okay with drivers and with the few routes being axed there should be plenty of drivers to transfer over.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

As RT4038 states, the Stagecoach Oxfordshire ops (excl Banbury) have their heritage from two sources:

Oxford Tube and city work (Thames Transit) was a new start up courtesy of Harry. Once done, they (Transit Holdings) bought into South Midland, the former NBC ops at C Norton, Wantage, Bicester and Witney running into the city. The NBC Oxford firm (COMS) is now Oxford Bus Co.

In Sheffield, Stagecoach bought YT Group whose Yorkshire Traction ops were ex NBC and had a Barnsley powerbase plus depots in that area and bounded by Rotherham, Wakefield and Doncaster but not Sheffield. Stagecoach Sheffield is essentially an amalgam of three independents that ended up as one YT firm comprising Andrews, Sheffield Omnibus and Yorkshire Terrier - the exact histories are a little more complex!!

Liverpool was MPTE’s Gilmoss depot that had passed to MTL Holdings who then bailed, selling out to Arriva. The MMC, seeing Arriva with the former Ribble/NW Merseyside ops, demanded divestment of a depot so it was disposed of to Glenvale who, with various protective covenants in place, competed with Arriva using elderly ex London stuff. When the covenants expired, this strategy was exposed as Arriva competed, prompting the sale of Gilmoss to Stagecoach!

Wirewiper

Just to clarify (as I can't see if it has been mentioned already:

Rotala is closing its Wessex Bus operation is closing after 1st September 2018, citing a reduction in business opportunities. Most Wessex Bus routes* will be taken over by Stagecoach's Bristol operation, and all Wessex Bus drivers and engineering staff will transfer to Stagecoach under TUPE regulations.

* routes 12, 42 and 51 have been deregistered and will not be operated by Stagecoach.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Just to clarify (as I can't see if it has been mentioned already:

Rotala is closing its Wessex Bus operation is closing after 1st September 2018, citing a reduction in business opportunities. Most Wessex Bus routes will be taken over by Stagecoach's Bristol operation, and all Wessex Bus drivers and engineering staff will transfer to Stagecoach under TUPE regulations.
The Bristol Post, that bastion of (....) journalism, reported that only 60 staff would transfer so some job losses were likely.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/wessex-bus-close-services-42-1806005

Routes 12, 42 and 51 have been deregistered and will not be operated by Stagecoach.
Indeed so. However First Bristol have decided to give the 51 another go but in a different guise: Traveline has a timetable for a Service 2A to commence 02-Sep-2018.

Dave

freetoview33

Established Member
The Bristol Post, that bastion of (....) journalism, reported that only 60 staff would transfer so some job losses were likely.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/wessex-bus-close-services-42-1806005

Indeed so. However First Bristol have decided to give the 51 another go but in a different guise: Traveline has a timetable for a Service 2A to commence 02-Sep-2018.

Dave
The "Journalist" who wrote the article is fully aware of that! I made sure of it ha.

freetoview33

Established Member
A few more minor changes the Sunday 625/628 service Cribbs to Severn Beach is being increased from 3 to 4 trips in each direction.
And the 411 Severn Beach to Castle School service has been taken over from South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach. But on a slightly cut down route. Might be interworking with another service.
Few minor changes to the 84/85 meaning an earlier first trip from Yate on the 84. Minor timing changes to the 86.
And A reintroduction of the 432 school service to Wellsway School in Keynsham that was dropped by SGBC

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
A few more minor changes the Sunday 625/628 service Cribbs to Severn Beach is being increased from 3 to 4 trips in each direction.
And the 411 Severn Beach to Castle School service has been taken over from South Gloucestershire Bus and Coach. But on a slightly cut down route. Might be interworking with another service.
Steeling work from your landlords - naughty! (Or it might be a deliberate direction).

Status
Not open for further replies.