• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoon

Established Member
I think Stagecoach are giving it a good go but it's fair comment about the issue on timekeeping. Heard a Stagecoach driver say exactly that, in that he'd been late for most of the day and had only just got back on time for the end of play.
I'm not surprised. From my (admittedly limited) observations the drivers have been pulling out all the stops to keep to time. And 5 minutes turn around time in a 85 minute journey is certainly not going to be consistently sufficient given the road network in the run in to Maidstone. When I travelled back from Maidstone on the 334 weekday afternoons (pre-Covid), one of the big gripes was the frequency with which the service was late. I know it throws their timings out but I would have thought ensuring that the service was reliablity would be key to keeping passengers. The 10X has a more sensible 12 minutes. The Canterbury end isn't quite as important because, if they are are desperate they could always commandeer an inactive vehicle - they do for breakdowns.

I note that the timetables for the upcoming changes following the bank holiday have not been published (as far as I can see). I gather some may be a little more than superficial so perhaps passengers need to know in advance so that they can plan accordingly, after all they may be buying tickets now for journeys they are unable to make.

Otherwise, yes you are right that the Medway towns should be good bus territory, although the decline of Chatham as a retail/service centre has altered the dynamic (not a challenge limited to just Medway of course).
I suppose there is the consolation prize of (an expanding) Bluewater?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeveerYeliab

I note that the timetables for the upcoming changes following the bank holiday have not been published (as far as I can see). I gather some may be a little more than superficial so perhaps passengers need to know in advance so that they can plan accordingly, after all they may be buying tickets now for journeys they are unable to make.
I don't think the upcoming changes are too big.
I believe Triangle and Loop will see a small drop in frequency (every 20 mins on Triangle and every 10 mins on loop).
Then 2 new Homewoood buses from Ashford (962/963).
Other than that I believe its just small timing changed for reliability.

alex397

Established Member
I suppose there is the consolation prize of (an expanding) Bluewater?
This is a big draw, and brings people in from a large catchment area. But it isn’t Medway, and the only route from Medway to go there is the 700. A very useful route, but I can imagine it’s a nightmare for reliability as it goes down the M2.

Typhoon

Established Member
I believe Triangle and Loop will see a small drop in frequency (every 20 mins on Triangle and every 10 mins on loop).
Then 2 new Homewoood buses from Ashford (962/963).
Other than that I believe its just small timing changed for reliability.
I think these are the main changes but it may be a little wider than that, for instance I have heard that the 638 will cease to serve Estuary View, not confirmed but if so it may cause patients a problem. When Estuary View was cited as a suitable place for a Minor Injuries Unit and out patient clinics for the coastal part of the Canterbury and Coastal Clinical Commissioning Group, and bus services were promised and delivered, with the 638 being able to carry patients from Faversham and the villages. Apparently the argument is that Stagecoach route 4 serves Estuary View; it does, half hourly. So anyone using the service may now need to arrange an appointment around a journey involving two buses against one. Also, patients who used to use the Whitstable Medical Practice surgery at Seasalter have been transferred to Estuary View, their direct bus service may have gone.

Even the changes to the Triangle may involve people changing their journey patterns. If the current pattern at a stop is 00 15 30 and 45 minutes past the hour, it might change to 00 20 and 40 minutes. Unless passengers are made aware sufficiently in advance (notices on buses, at stops etc) they may miss a bus they expected to catch fairly easily (and have a 15 minutes wait). Important if they are going on to catch a train. The Sunday timetable might be particularly tricky as alternate journeys serve Beltinge or Greenhill (40 minute frequencies are rarely good) unless it will be a half hourly service.

Companies need to let passengers know sufficiently in advance of changes, especially with the school term starting. Part of the reason for a fall off in the use of public transport is unreliability, fine if they are going to allow more time for particular journeys but they need to let the passenger know when the bus is due, and not just at the last minute.

This is a big draw, and brings people in from a large catchment area. But it isn’t Medway, and the only route from Medway to go there is the 700. A very useful route, but I can imagine it’s a nightmare for reliability as it goes down the M2.
No, but it has to some extent replaced Chatham as the retail outlet for Medway (Hempstead Valley pales by comparison). Whenever I have been on the 700 (pre Covid), it is pretty full, it must be earning.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Yes, I meant physically demanding, which I'd argue is the case. Otherwise, yes you are right that the Medway towns should be good bus territory, although the decline of Chatham as a retail/service centre has altered the dynamic (not a challenge limited to just Medway of course).
I don't know the area well enough but it looks like Stagecoach have done a decent job in maintaining their business in East Kent. They've had the usual problems of high street decline and wider economic issues (e.g. Thanet, Herne Bay) and the local expresses of 25 years ago seem to have been folded into the main ops. However, they seem to have protected things and there's been regular investment in their key routes like the Triangle, the Loop and perhaps benefiting from the University in Canterbury.

It's in marked contrast to Arriva where investment has been much more sporadic and nothing since 2017 of note, and where they have vacated (or largely vacated) substantial tracts of territory.

alex397

Established Member
No, but it has to some extent replaced Chatham as the retail outlet for Medway (Hempstead Valley pales by comparison). Whenever I have been on the 700 (pre Covid), it is pretty full, it must be earning.
Good point, I hadn’t thought about that.
I sometimes forget that many people actually enjoy shopping - I’d only ever go somewhere local rather than a day out to a shopping centre.

The 700 has been popular whenever I’ve used it. A good candidate route for further investment - but no sign of that at the moment from Arriva!

Typhoon

Established Member
Good point, I hadn’t thought about that.
I sometimes forget that many people actually enjoy shopping - I’d only ever go somewhere local rather than a day out to a shopping centre.

The 700 has been popular whenever I’ve used it. A good candidate route for further investment - but no sign of that at the moment from Arriva!
No, the opposite of investment*; of the dedicated vehicles only one survives and that is on the 182 today.

I think Bluewater is starting to push 'experiences' which might mean more parents and kids going. I don't know whether either would be up for it but there might be a deal to be done between Arriva and Bluewater; reduced admission to an event, some form of prize competition.

Presumably, the M2 Stagecoach service never called at Bluewater, because some NEx journeys from Canterbury did because they might have been up for deals as shown by their Big Bus Guides. (Desperate attempt to keep the post relevant to the thread!)

* - not literally

duncombec

Arriving at Canterbury bus station, the now closed Stagecoach enquiry office looked forlorn - if not manned, surely there's a better way of utilising it? I'd have loved to have explored the city but my time was short so I took the 1X to Ashford. This was the old 400 and feels like a bit of a Cinderella service but a 15 yr old ALX Trident was older than I expected. As regards a hidden, scenic gem, the 1X is a beauty. Aside from some woman wittering on to a long suffering husband incessantly (and I was pleased when they got off at Chilham), it's a lovely trip through the Stour Valley as the scenery changes markedly from the open lands near Thanet to more Weald like country.
I believe the travel office at Canterbury has yet to be repurposed for the new use. In 'normal times' timetables are available at the library/TIC in the High Street. The Ashford-Canterbury services struggle against the quicker, more frequent train service (which may also be why the Ramsgate service 9 is much less frequent than the Margate service 8), especially given how many times the bus crosses 9and previously had to cross) the railway at level crossings. I agree on the view though! It used to be even slower and more scenic until a few years ago when the through service was streamlined (not least removing a few level crossings).
Also, there's a notice with the fleet number urging you to contact them if the vehicle isn't clean - pretty impressive. I'd factored in a small break at Tenterden, which was always more M&D (rather than East Kent) territory. In fact, I headed into Waitrose which is built on the site of the former M&D garage in the town centre, whilst the half timbered cafe by the bus stop is the former M&D travel office.
#Tweetthefleet seems to be working quite well. If you'd walked down to the Kent & East Sussex railway, the café there is the 1922 Maidstone bus station building. (First bus station in the country!)
Rather than the Chequers bus station (currently closed), I had to search my way around the streets to find my next bus, as I went to experience the Sittingbourne bus war first hand.
Now rather overdue resulting from unspecified "construction difficulties". I think this was a good move on Stagecoach's part, as turning the bus at the Chequers would increase the layover, but Earl Street brings people closer to the shops (especially Fremlin Walk), and the 'facilities' there for the driver.
Wandering down Lower Stone St (was that where the bus station once was), I went to locate Arriva's 334 for Sheerness. It was waiting for me; they had mobilised a 2009 e200 for the journey. To be honest, the condition was scandalous, and especially so for a service under attack from Stagecoach. Loads of passive aggressive instructional notices (as is Arriva's want) but with added Covid related ones; ones that have now been superseded but have only been half peeled away as if someone tried but lost interest. We made our way out following a Stagecoach X3 (late running) e400mmc which soon left us behind. Our e200 was asthmatic and slowed to a crawl up Detling Hill so I was surprised that we arrived in Sittingbourne on time. The town is one I've only ever visited once before and it seems to have benefited from some major redevelopment opposite the commuter thronged train station where I exited. Just nearby is the "bus hub" which is just a couple of bus stops where Maidstone bound and local town routes stop instead.
Arriva's response to the X3/X4 so far seems to be to reduce their (expensive) fares. Detling Hill has always been interesting... one of my first visits to the South East Bus festival saw us with a "three-bell load" being overtaken by juggernauts that we never saw again. Thankfully the driver had a sense of humour! (!If I put my foot down any more it will be through the floor)
There used to be a Arriva (Kent & Sussex as it was then) and Stagecoach day ticket, it may even have been called an Explorer, which I think finished before the Discovery ticket was available in Kent (it was also quite a bit cheaper). I think I heard that Arriva knocked it on the head (??), when I wouldn't have thought they would benefit, trips to the seaside and the like. Arriva land has very little to offer locally besides Sheppey (and now only part of that).
If I remember correctly, the explorer ticket lost the western validity and became the Arriva/Stagecoach/Kent tendered services ticket for a while (but you could only buy it on Arriva/Stagecoach). Eventually the Discovery ticket (which had taken over the western explorer bit) was extended back eastwards, can be bought on most services, and the explorer faded into the individual company products. Noteworthy that an Arriva Kent day ticket is £8, Stagecoach £7.30, Discovery £9.
Yes, I meant physically demanding, which I'd argue is the case. Otherwise, yes you are right that the Medway towns should be good bus territory, although the decline of Chatham as a retail/service centre has altered the dynamic (not a challenge limited to just Medway of course).
Medway's hills are brutal for buses (and cyclists). However, despite what the local council try and tell us otherwise, Medway is an awkward conurbation of five towns and multiple suburbs, each with their own pull. Residents of Frindsbury are more likely to see Strood as their nearest centre than pass through that and Rochester to get to Chatham now. The issue is that where buses can logically go, and passengers want to go, are increasingly two different things, connecting the two with anything more than the unloved Sprinters would be difficult, yet travel is discouraged by the need to go 'out of your way'.
Strictly speaking, the A2 - Arriva's 700 joins at Junction 1, which is where the M2 turns into the A2. It either works well or badly.
No, but it [Bluewater] has to some extent replaced Chatham as the retail outlet for Medway (Hempstead Valley pales by comparison). Whenever I have been on the 700 (pre Covid), it is pretty full, it must be earning.
Erm... not so much. I don't know many people who go to Bluewater for Marks and Spenders when they can go to Hempstead Valley or Maidstone. Family members prefer Rainham (or at least did until the latest bank branch closure). As another post said that I trimmed, Bluewater is where you go for "posh shops" or "experiences".
Presumably, the M2 Stagecoach service never called at Bluewater, because some NEx journeys from Canterbury did because they might have been up for deals as shown by their Big Bus Guides. (Desperate attempt to keep the post relevant to the thread!)
bean Interchange is a massive time suck at the best of times. You can easily be queueing for 5 minutes to come off and 10 minutes to get back on coastbound (source: 10 years of travelling on commuter services), worse at Christmas, and there is also a major rebuilding going on at that junction now. It may not be that much of a draw from the east with Westwood Cross/McArthurGlen at Ashford pulling the "posh shop crowd".

Typhoon

Established Member
I believe the travel office at Canterbury has yet to be repurposed for the new use. In 'normal times' timetables are available at the library/TIC in the High Street. The Ashford-Canterbury services struggle against the quicker, more frequent train service (which may also be why the Ramsgate service 9 is much less frequent than the Margate service 8), especially given how many times the bus crosses and previously had to cross) the railway at level crossings. I agree on the view though! It used to be even slower and more scenic until a few years ago when the through service was streamlined (not least removing a few level crossings).
In particular the same level crossing twice with a high probability of being caught on both occasions. The Ramsgate route has always been the poor relation of the Margate route since I've known it. At one time I think it only ran through to Canterbury a couple of journeys in the peak (limited stop near Canterbury) at other times, you had to change at St Nicolas (I think it was the 610 at the time). The Margate routes are probably more frequent because they they served (and still serve) Birchington and Westgate before Margate, then I think they used to continue to Cliftonville, Broadstairs, Dumpton Park and Ramsgate. There were several route numbers depending on their path through Thanet.
If I remember correctly, the explorer ticket lost the western validity and became the Arriva/Stagecoach/Kent tendered services ticket for a while (but you could only buy it on Arriva/Stagecoach). Eventually the Discovery ticket (which had taken over the western explorer bit) was extended back eastwards, can be bought on most services, and the explorer faded into the individual company products. Noteworthy that an Arriva Kent day ticket is £8, Stagecoach £7.30, Discovery £9.
One of the problems with the Explorer ticket was that Arriva and Stagecoach charged different amounts for it. In places like Tenterden, I could never understand why passengers bought an Arriva ticket. Catch a Stagecoach bus, buy an Explorer and get off at the next stop, the savings were not pennies either. Those figures you quote for the tickets are about as close as Arriva and Stagecoach have got for ages. The difference was about a quid (on a smaller fare). Earl Street in Maidstone is where Stagecoach's 10X stops as well.

Erm... not so much. I don't know many people who go to Bluewater for Marks and Spenders when they can go to Hempstead Valley or Maidstone. Family members prefer Rainham (or at least did until the latest bank branch closure). As another post said that I trimmed, Bluewater is where you go for "posh shops" or "experiences".

bean Interchange is a massive time suck at the best of times. You can easily be queueing for 5 minutes to come off and 10 minutes to get back on coastbound (source: 10 years of travelling on commuter services), worse at Christmas, and there is also a major rebuilding going on at that junction now. It may not be that much of a draw from the east with Westwood Cross/McArthurGlen at Ashford pulling the "posh shop crowd".
I am afraid my last para was an attempt to make the post fit the thread (there was no chance of it working, I was just as skeptical about Greenwich to be honest), Westwood Cross - "posh shop crowd"? There might be a few clothes shops (or former clothes shops) besides M&S, other than that DIY, supermarkets, discounters, bog standard coffee shops, mostly mid market chains.

Addition:
I note that the timetables for the upcoming changes following the bank holiday have not been published (as far as I can see).

Timetable changes now up. As predicted by @SeveerYeliab Triangle down to 20 minute frequency (and will only serve Beltings and Broomfield hourly on Sundays). Also reductions to 22 and 25 in the afternoons. Minor change to the 638 but not the change that I had heard rumours of,

From their website:
If you’ve used the bus on any of these routes recently, you may have experienced some delays or cancellations as a result of driver shortages. As the economy rebounds and the job market opens up, many organisations, including public transport companies, are facing staff shortages. We’re really sorry about the impact this has had so we’re making these changes as a temporary measure to bring you a more reliable service.
Timetables at: ServiceUpdatesArticle | Stagecoach (stagecoachbus.com)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.